All reviews historic hotel main building morgan tavern new england breakfast buffet college visit scones within walking distance town green front porch modern amenities sitting room air conditioner beds were comfortable fitness center annex elevator
Reviewed 8 August 2018

Hotel is well run and clean. Afternoon tea is always a pleasant event. Been staying there for 8 years and never disappointed. The staff is very helpful. A bit disappointed in the restaurant at the hotel but not sure if it is run by the hotel or someone else.

Room tip: sometimes the rooms with double beds are a bit crowded.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank wrbillbo
John Z, General Manager at Middlebury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2018

We appreciate your kind comments and are pleased that we never disappoint. We are glad you find the afternoon tea at the Middlebury Inn enjoyable and the staff to be friendly.. Hope to see you again soon.

GeneraL Manager

Reviewed 7 August 2018

Amazing place, first we booked on the web few hours before leaving dunmore lake & we got prompt response and availability for the special. One there my husband wished to have a king bed & we were transferred quickly in the old Manor which was amazing. Huge gallery around this 1825 building, high ceiling, very very comfortable bed did not wish to get up the next day, all find products in the bathroom, had breakfast next morning and it was amazing, service excellent, speedy check-out, needless to say if I travel in this region again I will stay there for sure:)

Room tip: request a king bed well worthed
Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We are delighted that you found the Porter Mansion amazing. The staff at the Middlebury Inn is what makes it special. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and we thank you for staying with us. Looking forward to the next opportunity we have to host you!

Reviewed 5 August 2018

Todd Gordon, the Event/Banquet Manager was wonderfully skilled and gave extra attention to the Memorial luncheon to honor my husband. I couldn’t have been more pleased with the result. Everybody attending enjoyed themselves as they leisurely ate lunch and shared memories about John in the library after the interment service at the cemetery. It was a rainy day, and Todd greeted all the guests and saw to their comfort.

Todd's attention to the planning and implementation of the event (including my food choices as a Vegan) made the day effortless for me and I so appreciate his consideration and regard. I had his cell phone number and he was available to me at all times by text or call. The two-sided menu without prices for my guests including an obituary on the reverse was a stroke of genius.

My friend and I stayed at The Inn for three nights in a large corner suite on the first floor above the lobby. A ride in the elevator was an enjoyable step back in time, although our rooms had all the modern amenities including a requested in-room refrigerator. The chef and and dinner server (I believe her name was Becky) were very creative and accommodating of my Vegan food needs during the Memorial Luncheon and dinners. For breakfast, I found the Food Coop next door a practical choice. The room was immaculate on check-in and very well attended to during our stay. I found the night light in a bathroom a bit bright. I loved the bathrobe available in the room during my stay so much that I bought one to take home with me.

Room tip: I was very happy with our choice of historic suite, a corner room. There was traffic noise, but I use ear plugs routinely.
Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends

Thank you so much for your glowing review! How wonderful to hear that Todd and Becky gave you special attention and extraordinary service. It was our pleasure to host you and your guests at Middlebury Inn. Thank You.

Reviewed 4 August 2018

We have attended a wedding at this charming historical hotel and stayed 2 nights. Our Premium Room on first floor was clean , very large with 2 bathrooms and 2 queen beds nicely decorated.The Inn was well suited for the wedding ceremony in the garden, the cocktail in the restaurant and the dinner and reception in the nice Ballroom. The breakfast was ok and our favourites were the fruits which were fresh.

• Trip type: Travelled with family

We appreciate your kind comments and are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. The Middlebury Inn is a great spot for weddings and special events. The staff is eager to please and take care will take care of our guest. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 31 July 2018

We stayed here on July 5th, a quite warm day and evening. This is a big old hotel, on a funny intersection of streets in Middlebury, and it wasn't quite clear where to park, and where to enter this nice old building. We parked in the lot in the rear, where there are new "motel" style rooms available, and we walked in the hotel via a back entry through the restaurant.
The main room and dining room are adjacent, and the front desk is a large area, so the whole space is informal, and historic. That night, the whole public space of the hotel was hot, only the room with AC was cool.
After checking in, we were taken up the ancient elevator up to the 3rd floor, and found we had a decent room, unremarkable, but large enough and cool with a noisy ac unit. Being an old building, the layout was funky original, and the bath was remodeled with not much space. But this is the north half of Vermont fer godssake....
We chose NOT to eat in the restaurant, as it looked unremarkable, and not very appetizing. We think the staff was sorry to see another customer head out to another restaurant, and we ended up at the Lobby, a restaurant right on the river. (Separate review)......
If we had to stay in Middlebury again, I'd look for a more contemporary hotel, despite the charms of the Inn, or go there in the fall, when it is cooler. There is a spa in the basement, for which we had no temptation to use.

Room tip: Ask for a good bathroom!
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
John Z, General Manager at Middlebury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2018

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your feedback. We also appreciate your feedback regarding the AC in the public space. We did have a AC problem that has been fixed. We are constantly making upgrades to the guest’s rooms. We do mix new décor with keeping authentic to a Historic 1827 Inn.