“I am impressed with Vermont State Parks”

Molly Stark State Park
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Marlboro
More attraction details
Owner description: Named for the wife of a general in the American Revolutionary Army, this park is great place to picnic among the trees.
Reviewed 27 September 2016 via mobile

I haven't stayed at Molly Stark for several years. The first time to was cold and windy and I was in the open sites close to Rte 9. Rte 9 noise is prevalent through much of the campground all though it's much worse in field sites. The highway is going up a fairly steep grade at this point.
This time except for the first evening it was sunny and cool (it is September in Vermont )

This is a gorgeous well maintained campground with most level sites or leantos . The staff were excellent , the new bathroom shower facility was the best I have seen in a state or national park campground. I stayed in Site 5 which accommodated my mansion (a 14 X 12 tent...don't ask , it was an accident but I have gotten to love the space) as well as our screen house for the first evening of a downpour. Most sites are well spaced from the neighbors. The hike to the fire tower is worth the time and 1.9 mile round trip. I would rather have the steep part going up so start the trail at the trail head nearest the entrance and loop back on the trail that ends in the back of the campground.

Others comments about firewood, play areas etc are accurate.

The town of Wilmington is a fun place to stroll and look in shops and galleries. If you are looking for groceries there is a small Shaw's in town but look for the River Market store north on route 100 slightly out of town. Lots of local produce, cheese, fairy, produce etc as well as some excellent meats. The New York strip I had was excellent.

Fishing and boating are not far. There is Harriman Reservoir. It was low probably due to the drought . There was no bank fishing to be had and I did not have my kayak with me although there is a rental place across the Rte 9 from the boat launch . Lake Raponda which is a short drive from the campground . The shore line is mostly occupied by private dwellings but there is a public boat launch at the north end of the lake. Power boats are allowed but PWC's are not (). Another choice is Somerset reservoir about 14 miles up dirt road US Forest Service Rte 71. There is a boat launch here as well and power boats are allowed but there are speed restrictions . Looks like a great kayak lake but it was windy the day I was there. Lots of bank fishing as it is surround by the Green Mountain National
Forest. Bring the kayak next time

2  Thank ctjustdoit
in 7 reviews
"picnic"
"cheese"

Reviewed 12 July 2016 via mobile

We love Vermont State parks for camping. The lean to option allows you to set a small tent up in the lean to and stay dry. It was pouring rain and it was so nice to be dry and warm. We stayed in the lower loop and the bathrooms were old and not kept up. All the Vermont campgrounds we have stayed at in the past have spotless bathrooms. The lower ones had green slime around the sink and toilets. The upper bathroom were much better but not up to the level of previous Vermont campground.
A nice stay all and all.

1  Thank Belizedreaming
Reviewed 22 June 2016

This was our second camping experience at Molly Stark State Park. We're relatively novice tent campers, a family of five- kids ages 13, 11 and 8. We stayed two nights while participating in the Tough Mudder event at Mt. Snow about 20 minutes away. We had a perfect site right near the bathrooms, with an open area behind where we played frisbee, ladderball and other games. Attendant was extremely friendly when we checked in, they'll deliver the firewood if you're not wanting to wheel-barrow it yourself. The facilities on our side of the campground are older and you'll pay for a hot shower- $0.75 for 7.5 minutes, but well kept for a camp site. There are free showers at the newer facility on the other side of the campground. They have a small area with available games and a library to take/leave books. There's a horseshoe pit, volleyball net, and the hike to the fire tower was well worth it for the view. Very nice place and we plan to return next year.

Reviewed 12 October 2015 via mobile

My wife and I (and our pup) visited this park to hike up to the fire tower on Mt. Olga. The campground was packed for Columbus Day weekend, but that didn't hinder our cisit. In favt, the smell of the campfires added to te start of our hike. The trail to the top was very easy and the ciews from the tower were superb. The fall colors were popping everywhere! This is definitely a hike I would do again.

2  Thank chiefwahoo1989