See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 27 September 2015

We have given 3 stars for the room only - the rest of the hotel is a very sad 2).
We booked this motel some months before we stayed (our stay being late Sept 2015), and when doing so thought a) we had booked the Best Western Plus Ludlow Motel, b) that it served breakfast each morning and c) that it had an outside pool we could use. We made our reservation through booking.com.
Confusion then abounded as we noticed a few days before we arrived that we now had a reservation at the Ludlow Colonial Motel. It turns out that it ceased to be a BW some months ago, and it did cause us some concern. By this stage, it was too late to change our reservation. Booking.com never informed us of the changeover - and maybe they didn't know, but had WE known, we doubt we would have stayed there.
Things didn't improve as we drove into the lot. Hardly another car there, and the grounds looking distinctly unkempt. To be fair, we had a pleasant welcome from we think the owner, 'Ken'. We asked about breakfast the following morning, only to be told that breakfast is only at the weekend. (The weekend being classed as stays on Friday & Sat nights).So only one breakfast for our two nights....mmmmmm....Okay, can we use the pool? 'No, the pool is closed as from Labor Day' - (7 Sept). It was a gorgeous, warm day too - in fact, the weather had been warm for a couple of weeks. Oh dear, NOT what we had hoped for or reserved.
Our room - 212 - well away from the road - was good, but driving up we noted how neglected it all looked. Flower beds full of dead plants, unplanted flower boxes, one water fountain not working and stagnant water in the fountain pool. Weeds abounded. We found it hard to believe that this was a BW until fairly recently - such an unwelcoming approach and a complete contrast to the fabulous Cromwell Motel in Bar Harbor, and Golden Gables in North Conway,
As it turned out, our room wasn't bad at all (what a relief!). It was huge, two Queen beds, clean sheets and lots of good clean white fluffy towels. Both beds and pillows were extremely comfortable. A walk-in closet, two wingback armchairs, microwave and fridge, flat screen TV, coffee machine (but the coffee was absolutely foul - it tasted ancient). The room was clean but needed a good dust - the bottom of the chests of drawers, the window ledge (dead spiders) - Oh, and the bedside table drawer was full of peanuts!
Wifi was free but the signal was poor in our room.
This place has seen better days and is in dire need of an overhaul. In our opinion, the owners need to make a big, big effort to improve the approach and 'first view' to make it look loved and cared for. We hope Ken can do this - he's a nice guy. However, to reiterate, and as described, our room wasn't too bad at all. Our view would be stay for one night if you can get a good deal, you don't want breakfast or the pool. Breakfast on the Saturday morning was fine and adequate.
As a footnote, Ken deducted $10 from our bill because of lack of breakfast on our first morning.

Room Tip: Well away from the busy main road
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank yorkspuds
Reviewed 15 August 2015

We would never stay here again. Our room had peeling wall paper; clattering old air-conditioner; coffee machine that made dishwater. The property has gone down hill. Perhaps because we booked through an on-line service, we were not allowed a better/quieter room location on the hill when we requested it at check in. Breakfast? Forget it. We went elsewhere. I assume it was the owner who checked us in and he was less than welcoming. Not our idea of a pleasant 2 nights. Had we not already paid we would have looked for something else the second night

Room Tip: Demand to be on the hill farther away from the busy highway through town.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CJBMaine
Reviewed 1 July 2015

First off, let me make clear that the motel room was clean and comfortable, and the motel is conveniently located on the east end of Ludlow. The stairway to the upper level as a bit rickety and uneven, which may be an issue when lugging baggage up or down, but otherwise the physical condition was generally good. Rooms are large and airy and have all the amenities one expects.

The problem with this property is the customer service. When I booked, it was still a Best Western member, but I subsequently received an email stating that it was no longer affiliated with Best Western. My booking confirmation clearly stated that the price for the room included a continental breakfast.

When I arrived, at just after 5pm, I entered the office, and there was no one there. I rang the bell, but nothing happened. After a minute, or so, the desk clerk appeared at a side door. His only explanation was "when you have to go, you have to go".

As I was going to my room, I noticed a sign that said "Breakfast room, Open 7am-10am". The next morning, about 8:30, I went down to the breakfast room, but it was locked. A sign on the door indicated that entry was through the office, but the office was also locked, with a sign saying "Return at 9am". I returned at 9:10, but both were still locked. About 9:30, I heard some noise, so I went downstairs again. The door to the breakfast room was open, as was the door between the breakfast room and the office. I got a cup of coffee out of the urn that contained fresh hot coffee, and was about to make a waffle, when the desk clerk yelled from the office "There's no breakfast". When I questioned this, he said "We don't have breakfast during the off season". I indicated that the sign said nothing about this, and my confirmation had indicated that breakfast was included, but this didn't seem to make any difference. He offered to give me a discount (which I have not received). When I said this wasn't very good customer service, he sluffed it off saying that he had been operating this way for 11 years. When I told him I would write a review for Trip Advisor, he said he didn't care--one bad review wouldn't hurt his business.

I stay in motels a lot (about 120 nights/year) and I rarely encounter such bad customer service. I also rarely write bad reviews, but I think this property deserves it.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled solo
7  Thank Buzzhombre
Reviewed 28 June 2015

Husband and I are looking for a second home and stayed here while we were going around with real estate agents. Clean enough. Yes...could use some updating but we were not there much. Our room said it was non smoking but it had the smell like maybe it was smoking room at some point? I went nose blind after awhile. Would I stay here again? Meh...maybe....don't feel either way about it honestly. It serves it purpose if you need a place to sleep and are busy.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank K M
Reviewed 1 June 2015

We stayed here overnight on our way through Vermont, the staff was very friendly. The property could stand for some updating however our room was clean and the area felt safe enough we slept with our windows open. I would definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family