“Good but go prepared.”

Ranked #9 of 9 Chester B&B and Inns
Derry, New Hampshire
“Good but go prepared.”
Reviewed 7 May 2012

While looking for a place to stay during a big event many hotels were taken but I felt I had stumbled upon some very good luck when I found Stone Hearth Inn. The public spaces are very rustic but beautiful, it really looks like you are stepping into someones home (Which really, you are!). I live in a Victorian House and so I understand what goes along with older houses: creaky floors, oddly shaped doorways, small rooms, poorly heated rooms, etc. To warn those travelers who aren't used to this: If you're expecting a modern, clean, spacious, hotel experience, I wouldn't stay here, you will be very disappointed. That being said, if you don't mind rustic, Victorian type charm, you'll love this place.

Cons: The doors are old and probably original to the house and didn't fit the door frames, because of this you could hear everyone talking in the house, and the owners dogs barking fairly late at night when something they saw outside go them excited. Our room was very small and really only had room for the bed, although that doesn't bother me, I could see some travelers disliking this. The front porch was cluttered and had a new tub getting ready to be installed sitting on it for the three days we were there. Someone also moved some paint cans onto the only stairs to get outside and so it became a little difficult when trying to load up the car. There was also a huge gash on the wall that cut right through the wall, as well as some very bad water stains on the ceiling, if the ceiling tiles were replaced I bet the entire room would look better. The bed was also VERY hard, I felt like I was sleeping on a floor. And what bothered me the most out of everything, the toilet kept turning water over every 10 minutes. We shut the bathroom door to sleep and that helped but you could still hear it.

PROS: The owners are FANTASTIC. They are such a sweet couple. And they are from Quebec and have lived in France for many years so if you speak French, they would be very happy to help you! I did mention their dogs (two very laid back Golden Retrievers) in the Cons, but their dogs are actually very sweet, and very quiet, they're just dogs and do get excited. This Inn is pet friendly, but if you have a dog who doesn't like other dogs, to be prepared and let the Inn Keepers know because their dogs roam freely (although I never saw them upstairs and they kept to themselves unless you showed them attention). The Inn Keepers prepared breakfast for us in the morning (fruit and juice, with toast and cereal on hand to help yourself) and offered a different selection every day. The restaurant had pretty good food, it was a bit over priced, but everything is made from scratch and made from local ingredients, so I can understand why. I had the Gluten Free Pizza and although it wasn't the best GF crust I've had, it wasn't bad. The area is also very beautiful and very quiet. The Restaurant/Pub is filled with locals and travelers alike and they serve fantastic local beer. THE BLANKETS! Warm, fluffy, down blankets. It made the hard bed worth it!

In the end, rustic charm friendly Inn Keepers, and a laid back life style is what this place is all about. Although I hate the beds and wish they would get softer mattress,and that the rooms had a little bit more care put into them, the friendly smiles of the Inn Keepers made us feel right at home and very welcome. Gluten Free Friendly! I know they're working on updating but it's at a slow pace, and that's just the type of life style you'll get in Vermont!

Room Tip: Some rooms are larger than others so if it's space you need, let the owners know.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tiffany A

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Jersey City
Reviewed 7 January 2012

The food is good but overpriced, the service not so great, and the rooms are dirty beyond repair. In one of the rooms there's insulation hanging out of the wall, the cracks in the floor eat anything you could try to sweep up, it must be so frustrating and impossible for the maids, I think they get it as clean and dustfree as it can possibly be and it still looks dirty. There's water damage on the ceiling in one of the rooms, and not very warm. I felt like I was walking on eggshells. There are a few people that are living there, that also makes me nervous, considering I am missing a few things, but I very well could have easily misplaced them or forgot them at home, I'm just saying it seems risky. Had I known that I probably would not have stayed here. I had a conversation with one of the maids and she had better hospitality than most of the servers. The overall vibe is relaxing, they have nice tv's and entertainment in the dining area, and a nice bar. But other than going to have a drink somewhere, it's not somewhere I would be found

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 October 2011

I had a back room.there was multiple water stains on the ceiling. Room was dusty and stained rugs. rusty baseboards. Stayed 2 niights, did not dine there. Does need some updating. I would not go back.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Boston
Reviewed 9 October 2011

It's October in VT - 40's overnight -yet these owners won't put the heat on-they gave us a space heater for the room! They said it's too early to turn on the heat - but if you run a place for guests to stay and feel comfortable you better put some heat on- Although the bed and sheets were comfortable - the furniture and the floor were dusty-I think under the floor was mopped and dusted when the house was built in 1810. Clumps of dust all over the floor under furniture. The furniture was older than a grandmother would have in her house! Not quaint- just "get me out of here" feeling. The innkeepers are pleasant-but the place needs updating-

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Middletown, Connecticut
Reviewed 3 October 2011

After being overly stressed the last few days from work, etc; we decided to get in the car and just 'drive north' up 91 for a few hours and find something relaxing. We were directed to the Stone Hearth by chance after stopping at a local beer/wine specialty shop. We could not have asked for anything better!

The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating.There were several excellent beers on tap, the food (stuffed cod for him and grilled salmon for me with a panko crusted goat cheese appetizer) was absolutely wonderful. The room was $120 with and exceptionally comfortable bed. It was shame it was rainy as the grounds looked beautiful with a fire-pit, corn-hole and ladder ball set up, and lovely garden. Breakfast was light and delicious with homemade scones and fresh fruit.

We will absolutely be back and hope to book the tavern/inn for a night for our closest friends. The innkeeper was generous in offering to provide a meal for all should we book again and set up the grounds with volleyball etc.

I highly recommend the Stone Hearth for a relaxing weekend. Just don't expect things to happen quickly - their motto is 'slow down and enjoy' - so please do so. It's worth it.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chester
18.7 km away
The Karass Inn
The Karass Inn
#7 of 9 in Chester

Recently Reviewed Hotels around Chester

Been to Stone Hearth Inn and Tavern? Share your experiences!