“Great Find!”

Ranked #1 of 4 Bondville B&B and Inns
Manchester, Connecticut
“Great Find!”
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I book this Inn because it was located close by to Mt. Stratton where we were sking in Jan. What a great find! Rooms are clean and very roomy, Hostess/Host are extremely curtious. One was always present during the course of our stay and always greeted us. Breakfast outstanding. One review stated that they always saw regulars there. I can vouch for that because we have already book another 2 night stay there for next month. Their attached pub has a big screen tv, pool table and a fire pit. Great for groups, families, couples or singles. Close drive to Manchester where there is plenty of shopping and restaurants for those who aren't interested in sking, take a break for the day or dinner at night.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Shelton, Connecticut
Reviewed 18 February 2012

The first thing we noticed when we met the other guests at the Inn was that they all appeared to be repeat regulars. That says a lot. Kevin greeted us enthusiastically at the door and later that evening in the Tavern we met up with Kammi. This place has a ton of character and like much of Vermont is rustic and warm. I grew up going to my grandmothers cabin in New Hampshire and this brought back memories!!! There is a great room that acts as a game room, TV room and meeting place that you can feel the history of all the good times that have been had there. Our first night we sat by the fire for a while and chatted and Kammi was a great help giving us directions and recommendations for dinner. We headed to The Perfect Wife and ate in the tavern very spot on recommendation! The second night a bunch of well behaved children arrived and they seems to be having a ball playing games and learning to play pool while their parent chatted by the fire over a glass of wine. The rooms are large and cozy some of the rooms have prize quilts hanging in them and every thing was crisp & clean but not overly generic as chain hotels can be nor did you feel uncomfortable that you might break something like some of the hoity B&B's I've been to. The owners raise Alpaca's and have three labs I know a few of them are retired guide dogs and are perfectly behaved. I don't have a dog and really enjoyed having them around. The view of Bromley is beautiful I'm a pro photographer and am very visual so it matters to me and the white pines (my favorite tree) peek up around the mountain to frame the view. We had one of the more modest priced rooms and we where surprised to find razors, toothpaste, soap, shampoo & some women's products for our use, most other places you are lucky to get soap! The there where two types of breakfasts included with our room every morning and our meals where expedient but cooked to order and yummy! You could just go down to breakfast during a certain time frame instead of having to make a reservation like some places make you do.One thing. Our room had NO!!! TV. I loved that! These days you rarely get to talk as a couple or family! I think some of the rooms have fireplaces and TVs there is a huge HD in the Tavern that you can watch if you need to! We know why they have repeat business, we are already trying to figure out when we can bring the kids back with us!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Catherine M
boston
Reviewed 20 January 2012

What a gem! Quaint, clean and welcoming. We went for a family ski weekend and my husband and two boys loved it. The inn keepers Kami & Kevin are hands on hosts who make you feel right at home. Very welcoming and relaxed atmosohere. The pub is a wonderful place to unwind at the end of the day! Breakfasts are delicious and our beds were so comfortabke after a day of skiing! We will definitely return again!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
College Point, New York
Reviewed 12 January 2012

This was a wonderful bed and breakfast. Upon entering the inn we were greeted by 3 of the most gentile Labrador retrievers. I am a dog person so it was great to see them there. The inn keepers were very nice and helpful. The dogs showed us to our room which was cute. We stayed in room No. 10. The room was very spacious enough to fit bulky snowboarding gear. My only gripe for the room was in the bathroom. The bathroom was decent size but the shower head and pressure were horrible. The pressure was so low and the water came out like a mist. Either than that, the room as a whole was greatly decorated and even had a couch and plenty of space to hang clothes. The breakfast was amazing. They offered the usual tea, coffee, and juice. Each day we had 2 choices for breakfast. The first day it was stuffed french toast with brie and baked apples or thyme scrambled eggs with toast and potatoes. The next day we had the option for bacon scrambled eggs with toast and potatoes or pancakes. Both days the hot breakfast tasted great. The inn also had a cozy tavern and lounge. The lounge had plenty amount of places to sit including 3 couches, a fireplace, a pool table, and a large big screen TV. It also had a working bar which was good. Also the inn is about 10 minutes to Stratton Ski Resort and 10 minutes to Manchester which has all the outlets and restaurants to eat. All in all a great experience and I would definitely come back.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Waterford, NY
Reviewed 21 December 2011

We were admittedly a little unsure at first, because my only real criticism is that my initial email correspondence when trying to book seemed very dry/to the point business-ey, which didn't match what all the other reviewers said about the owners, so I (correctly) attributed that to the medium. Kami is definitely the more gregarious of the two; Kevin is friendly too but takes a little longer to warm up (I suspect he was my initial contact). The initial emails centered around which room to book, our dates, trying to figure out some details, and working out a potentially annoying food allergy that they actually were great about.

We stayed in the Bromley room. I loved almost everything about it, but had a strong dislike that may affect only some. First, the benefits: the view of the mountain is gorgeous, and you have your own porch (that another room can walk out onto, but still...) with a cute patio set. The jacuzzi definitely can accommodate two average-sized people (I'm low plus-size/high average-size but tall, husband is average & tall) and is WONDERFUL. There is a Keurig and a flatscreen (small) in the room, but only suites (FYI) have the TVs. The fireplace is run by the thermostat, though there is a way to over-ride it. Better bet: just open the window a little so you can have cool, fresh air and a roaring fire. There is a welcome letter that tells you about the hot water, that it takes a while but that there is plenty - both very true. The bed is rather comfortable, though as another reviewer noted, it does squeak. The pillows are just so-so though, but when I stuffed one of the chair throw pillows in the pillowcase with it, I slept better. Cool alarm clock - has an iPod/AUX dock. Did I MENTION the JACUZZI???? :) There was a nice, non-disposable razor and decent toiletries, though as someone else mentioned, the tub/shower IS in the room, so it is a couples-focused room, might be weird if you're not comfortable being naked in front of your traveling partner (then why share a romantic B&B but I digress lol...). This room is in what I imagine to be like a finished basement (the place is HUGE) and the floor slopes a little. FYI if you are drunk or really tired. A cute anecdote to show the attention to detail was when I asked Kevin if I could grab another Dark Magic for the Keurig instead of the Folgers, so we could both have one (I assumed it was a variety), he was AGHAST that someone had snuck a Folgers in there and that housekeeping missed it. It should be ONLY Dark Magic! So there were two waiting for us when we got back. Non-coffee snobs might not get that, but for coffee lovers, that is a BIG DEAL lol. They have thought of a LOT of things to make a lot of little touches just a little extra - nice.

The ONLY real complaint I had about our room was that it was right under the main dining area for breakfast. Which is fine if you're an up first thing person. Which we SO are not. Breakfast ends at 9, and we're the there at 8:45 in our pajamas and barely brushed hair couple. So, next time we come (and we will come again), we will probably choose the suite across the hall, which also has a patio (we snuck a view!) but just a garden view and is only under the kitchen, which we presume to have better reinforced floors.

Anyone else who may have stayed this weekend may have had a comment about "kids running amok". I'd like to address this to make sure it doesn't represent the inn improperly. There was a group of families there that I think make Kevin & Kami want to reconsider having this place be a kid-friendly B&B. At breakfast our second day, one set of parents was at the desk, and the other one or two was in the dining room, and the kids were running down the long hall between the two. One particularly Veruca Salt-ish child kept coming into the lower dining area (read: quiet) area where we were and when her parents, or the group of parents, didn't do anything, and guests were starting to get bothered, KEVIN had to come and convince her to come back up. That was wrong to put the innkeepers in that situation, but he handled it kindly.

I love kids and am usually the one playing with them vs hanging out with the adults, and we have a two year old ourselves. I completely empathize with how hard it can be. But there were only 3, maybe 4 kids to 6 or 8 adults and this was inexcusable. There were other instances of them just not really being that closely looked after, so if anyone else was there this weekend and felt like their stay was affected by that, I hope you do keep in mind that situations like that are A) rare, and B) not the fault of the innkeeper, and in FACT, they went above and beyond to control what they could to insulate their guests as much as they could.

Kami's hiking recommendation was spot-on, though I would suggest not parking at the Equinox and actually going all the way up to Union St (I think?) - look at the trail map (available behind the Equinox) and you'll see that basically the first half mile is just walking on the street to ANOTHER parking lot where the real trail head is. Some of the trail was wiped out from Irene which was scary, but I suggest an app for smartphones called Runkeeper. Has a GPS (signal was great on the mountain, as was cell) so you can compare your path to the trail maps in real time and also compare your speed).

The Perfect Wife is their favorite restaurant. Food was pretty good, but not enough to go twice. Cilantro's in Manchester was GREAT Mexican. Best Chorizo this side of Los Angeles. Skip all the steak houses - blech.

Kami knows the area very well and can give you some great ideas.

Also, for breakfast: order the "half and half" - there are always two yummy choices, this gives you a half portion of both. They will always offer seconds :)

Room Tip: Morning people ONLY for Bromley Room. TVs are only in suites (though there is a nice size flatscr...