“Doing the time warp again....”

The Inn Bolton Valley & Ski Area
Kingston, Canada
“Doing the time warp again....”
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Set the way back machine Sherman to 1975, the days before high speed quads, before customer service, and when you still had to boil your drinking water.

Just got back from March break and yes there was a boil water advisory in the condos at Bolton Valley. Condos were fine but probably at their prime 20 years ago. Servicing of the condo involved a daily phone call asking what we needed (we only learned by the last day to list everything we thought was standard like...please empty the garbage, remove the recycling, change the towels, bring toilet paper, etc etc...).

Hill was very flat...good runs ended half way up the hill with a long flat return to the slow-speed quad...so divide the quoted vertical drop by 2.

Hill staff was clueless...it was like the resort is run by kids that have never been to a ski hill before. I agree with the other posts that say stuff like the ticket window staff didn't know what was going on..it really was surreal dealing with staff that obviously was spending their first year at a ski hill, and generally not ski enthusiasts (one of the perks at working at a hill is the skiing...and there is no good skiing here...hence no skiing staff).

The rental area was poor...no high performance rental skis (or mid performance even) like most hills have available but with the wet snow the clapped out run of the mill rentals were fine for the week....warning don't loose your paperwork when you take a rental..they seem lost when you return a rental without the "pink slip" (computers weren't available in 1975 you see).

Roads haven't been paved since inception...extra parking is on outdoor tennis courts...so if you are going there in summer to play tennis you also have potholes to play around. Oh and despite no pet rules...the staff seem to have a few big dogs that leave presents all over the "grounds".

That's about it...glad we were there to enjoy time with family and friends and not just for the skiing. Can't see it changing anytime soon either...the lifts are just something out of the Smithsonian...the staff isn't their to ski obviously....this resort is only going one direction...downhill.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Marc953

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Georgetown, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We were some of the lucky ones who headed to Bolton Valley this past weekend 2/24-2/26 during a snowstorm where the resort got 2 ft of fresh snow!!! OMG what an amazing ski experience.
This is the ONLY choice if you are skiing this mountain. I was shocked when I walked in our room and saw an amazing view of the mountain and that we were right next to the lift. Yes, the rooms are older but we paid a regular hotel weekend rate and were staying SLOPESIDE!!! Beds were EXTREMELY comfortable.
The rec. room was fun for all of us, basketball, ping pong, hot jacuzzi, nice warm pool - again this area is dated but you are not paying for a 5 star resort! - Not even close. That being said - one of my only complaints is that this area closes at 8 pm!!! There is nothing for families to do after 8 except go to bed - that was a BUMMER!!!!! 10 pm closing would do this resort a huge service.
Breakfast - very limited - which is fine - just PLEASE make sure you keep it stocked. Our first day there was nothing left and girl behind counter really didn't seem to care (she is part of the reason for the low service rating). I had to force bagels out of her! A bowl of fresh fruit would also help a lot!!
Tavern- Amazingly talented Jeff Conley entertained us both nights. I would come back here just to listen to him play. Really yummy sandwiches (try the reuben!) and good brews. Very good service both nights. On top of Jeff's awesome music, Saturday night they had fun games (tinfoil hat creations - my hubby won free goggles for his reindeer rendition) with awesome prizes.
Slight adjustment to check in / check out times would be a huge help (5 pm check in and 10 am check out is NOT GOOD). I give a lower rating to service based on they knew we were there at 2 pm and still did not get our room ready till 5 pm on the dot.
Looking forward to coming back next year , will hope we can swim a little later and have some more breakfast!

Room Tip: Be sure to get slope view.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank MyJob2Plan
Rutland, Vermont
Reviewed 12 February 2012

After reading the negative reviews on here I was hesitant to stay at Bolton Valley but it was in the price range I was looking for. The ski and stay package turned out to be a good deal at $99 per person and it included hotel room, lift tickets, and a continental breakfast(not much to choose from but you could order hot items if you wanted like french toast). The rooms obviously had not been updated for a while but they were clean and comfortable.
We came here to ride, not sit in a hotel room, so it served the purpose. The staff was very friendly which made the whole place feel a little warmer.
We ate at the James Moore Tavern with felt like something out of a snowboard movie, kind of old and rustic with a mouthy bartender that was quite the character. The menu had a lot of fried food on it but the specials sounded amazing. I had the best ribs this year, and the handsome waiter told me about some great woods runs that I would not have found on my own which was an added bonus of the trip.

Overall, I did not come expecting Hilton service but they did make me feel very welcome.
I will return again next year.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the slopes
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Justin F
Cumming, GA
Reviewed 8 August 2011

My stay was not during the ski season. The surroundings were nice, the service was very good and the room was clean. During ski season the location would be great.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank geezertb
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 20 June 2011

I came to the Northfield and Burlington area to attend my son’s graduation at Norwich University on 17 June 2011. While I do understand that this part of Vermont does not have the Marriott, Hilton or Hyatt I do have a reasonable expectation that a lodging facility will be clean, relatively up-to-date and accommodating. The Resort was everything but that. The fact that the establishment is labeled as a “resort” I expected a much higher quality and level of service, and I am quite disappointed. I have informed Norwich University, my friends and family about this experience. This "resort" is atrocious and I do not recommend anyone to stay in it.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family

28.1 km away
Capitol Plaza
Capitol Plaza
#2 of 4 in Montpelier

Been to The Inn Bolton Valley & Ski Area? Share your experiences!