“Decent coffee, free Wifi, open Sundays”

South Street Cafe & Bakery
Price range: USD 2 - USD 15
Description: At the heart of Bennington since 1994, the South Street Cafe & Bakery serves high quality coffee, tea and baked goods. All soups, breads, and baked goods are made from scratch and by hand. Many offerings are vegetarian, some are vegan, and everything is delicious! Free wifi, live music and artists in residence all add to what we consider our motto - Coffee, Culture and Community.
Reviewed 6 June 2016

I wound up here when I discovered the Brown Cow Cafe was closed Sundays. The coffee and bagels were good, and the atmosphere was fine.

Maeve W, Owner at South Street Cafe & Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2016

Thanks for stopping in! We're glad you enjoyed your visit and hope you'll come back again. We'd like the opportunity to provide you a five-star experience!!

Reviewed 24 May 2016

Fantastic place. Great home made breads, superb sandwiches, coffee galore including Breve (my new favorite). Friendly staff and hipster ambiance. Definitely a highly recommended place to eat, drink and meet friends.

Maeve W, Owner at South Street Cafe & Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2016

Thank you for your review! We're so glad you had a good experience and enjoyed your visit. We hope to see you again when you're back in Vermont!

Reviewed 1 May 2016

I had some time to kill while my daughter was touring Bennington College and spent an hour here in the afternoon. The place has a great layout, vibe and was quite welcoming. My Cappucino came in a big cup and was prepared perfectly. I was able to crash in a very comfortable chair, plug in my laptop and get some work done.

They also have a great selection of baked foods and lunch food which I will try next time I am there. I had tried to come here the night before around 8pm for an after dinner coffee, but they close around 7pm along with the whole town. S

1  Thank Barry W
Maeve W, Owner at South Street Cafe & Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2016

Thank you for your review and your thoughts on our hours! We've been giving serious thought to later hours in the summer and will make sure any changes are updated on our website. If your daughter selects Bennington College, we hope to see you both at the cafe!

Reviewed 16 September 2015

A good latte is a daily requirement for us, and that's what we found here. Before leaving I complimented the baristas and had a very interesting discussion about espresso machines. From that it was obvious that a great deal of care is given to making the espresso drinks, and that makes all the difference.

1  Thank Painterandbirder
Reviewed 10 September 2015

This is a very cute little restaurant on Route 7 on South Street in Bennington. The staff is Vermont friendly and helpful. One orders from the wide list of items on the boards on the wall behind the counter. There are tables throughout the restaurant where, once your food is prepared, you can sit, relax and enjoy your meal.

There are good coffees, teas and espresso as well as many baked goods. While here this time, I had a cup of very good, steaming hot pea soup and a turkey sandwich on rye sour dough bread with lettuce, tomato, onions and cheddar cheese. Both items were great. My lunch partner had tuna with lettuce and tomato on sour dough.

The owners support the community and often have events in the restaurant. Prices are very reasonable, especially for the quality and size of the sandwiches. Although I have not tried the baked goods as yet, they look delicious.

Tip - This is a cash only establishment, no credit cards.

1  Thank ronco0807