“Terrific Breakfast Burrito”

Brown Cow Cafe
Price range: USD 0 - USD 10
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Description: Brown Cow Cafe is the healthy alternative for fresh made to order breakfast and lunch in Bennington. Always have vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free soup, sandwiches, salads, and sweets available as part of our regular menu. Full menu of espresso drinks using Vermont roasted fair trade organic Mocha Joe's coffee.
Reviewed 14 May 2016 via mobile

Had the breakfast burrito this morning, a little sloppy, but so tasty. Love the fluffy eggs in it and the salsa is wonderful. I was a little less happy with their cappuccino. They could use less milk and stronger espresso.

Reviewed 12 February 2016

Excellent coffee, interesting baked goods and specialty items, a comfortable dining area: the Brown Cow is a wonderful spot for breakfast or lunch, and very close to Bennington Museum.

Reviewed 9 October 2015

Not knowing they were about to close, we walked in, were told you order at the counter and when asked, were told that we could sit anywhere. So, my elderly parents made their way to a table 2 way in the back, away from the overhead fan, and I went back to the counter to see if they had a printed menu. Counter person, in an indifferent manner, pointed to some pieces of paper and said that was the menu. OK. So, my father decided fairly quickly; my mother had a difficult time with the menu, as it is not an "organized" listing of offerings. Within a few minutes, an employee of the Brown Cow Café came back to our table, telling us we had to order right away as the kitchen was closing. WHY ON EARTH HAD THEY NOT TOLD US WHEN WE ARRIVED AT ABOUT 3 PM????? My mother did not understand the girl, and took another minute before she gave me her order. As I went to tell the "help" what we wanted, I was told it was too late to order sandwiches, and they could only accommodate us with quiche and baked goods. Quiche? I love it, but my ELDERLY parents have never tasted it, nor WANTED to taste it. I said "no, thank you" and we left. May I add that it is very difficult for my mother to walk, so, the pain she has when she walks was a waste and our visit to the Brown Cow Café was an utter disappointment! Bear in mind, we were OUT of the cafe by 3:06. We had to have arrived no later than 3 pm. So would I recommend it? Not on your life! Their lack of giving us the needed information as soon as we arrived made the stop one I will never make again.

2  Thank MP M
Alleycat751, General Manager at Brown Cow Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2015

So sorry you at arrived at closing time. While we do try to accommodate latecomers, our offerings are limited after the kitchen has closed at 3:00. The counter server was simply communicating this to you.

Reviewed 20 September 2015

A friend of ours mentioned her positive experiences visiting this restaurant so one morning when we were down the mountain in Bennington decided to stop in and grab some coffee, tea and some breakfast goodies rather than hitting DD.

First, unless your using Trip Advisor and Mapquest or know Bennington real well, you may drive back and forth to find this place though its on Bennington's main drag but hidden away in the rear of the Paradise Motel. Its opposite Hemming's Garage. In an earlier life I remember it as a Chinese restaurant.

Go up park in the comfortable quiet lot, stroll through the trees and outdoor tables and into the Main room where yoyr greated by a large blackboard outlining all the goodies and prices. In a big adjoining rooms were tables and easy chairs and free wi-fi where you could sip your coffee, connect to the internet and surf, and as it seemed many of the patrons were college students or faculty from Southern Vermont that this was a local hangout.

The baked goods were excellent, breakfast sandwiches as well, the double lattes superb and the tea nicely steeped. Prices were reasonable. We were excellent table busers. Have to try it for lunch next time. I think its a hidden gem.

Reviewed 17 September 2015

We loved this little place. Great food and coffee. Vegetarian, Vegan and Gluten Free options. Be sure to ask for the gluten free brownies. Friendly owners and staff. Located right off Rte 9 near the Bennington Museum and Monument. Breakfast all day.