All reviews rooftop pool ski lockers mexican place aerie restaurant top floor hot tub el chanate cottonwood canyon ski resort eucalyptus steam room yoga classes breakfast buffet views of the mountains lift tickets locker room small fridge ski school
Reviewed 28 January 2012

This is our 3rd year staying at the Cliff Lodge - every year our group gets bigger, 'coz it is such a fine experience! There is not a lot of night life - but the restaurants have drink and appetizer specials to get you out of your room. After a hard day of skiing, we'd hit one of these, and then borrow movies or games from the concierge to round out the night. Our rooms had been renovated, with a full kitchen - so we saved a bundle by stopping in town and buying groceries. The steepest slopes had no snow this year, but there were still plenty of groomers to ski. We took advantage of the wide variety of resorts in the area - took a shuttle to Alta one day. Rented a car and checked out Brighton and Solitude - 30 minutes away, in the next canyon. Drove less than an hour, and could choose from Park City, Canyons or Deer Valley for skiing. The Olympic Park was our destination for a non ski day.
Staff at Cliff Lodge were very friendly and helpful. Valet parking was delightful to use! Centrally located lockers were included for our ski stuff - very convenient! Pool and hot tubs were open til 10 pm - plus we had a private 4 man jacuzzi on our balcony overlooking the mountain. Our king size beds were very comfortable, the queen sleeper couches less so, but tolerable. I came home from 1 week feeling like I had been on vacation for a month - can't wait til next year- same time/same place!!

Room Tip: Canyon view rooms may be cheaper and still have a beautiful view, especially 4th floor and higher!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 January 2012

If I were to judge the hotel based on amenities and decor, I'd rate it 3/5 personally. The rooms are dim and the decor a bit worn and old. However, it has amazing lodge + ski packages and because of the affordability, I rate it 4/5 overall.

Pros:
Hot tub: 3 pools heated till late (the latest I headed there was 7pm, have seen the lights go on till later though) in an outdoor setting, it's amazing doing laps or sitting in the hot tub while it snows.

Restaurant selection: (a) The Aerie Restaurant on 10/F was renovated. It was still under renovations when we visited late December but has reopened. Fantastic views and from my recollection last year when I went there - it services an unbelievable breakfast buffet (will tempt you to stay there the whole morning and skip skiing altogether!). (b) The Atrium in the basement was somewhat lackluster in comparison to the Aerie. We had 2 meals there (breakfast and dinner) this year [as the Aerie was still under renovations] and walked away wishing the Aerie was open. (c) El Chanate serves great mexican food and is a great place to grab a drink with friends and family. Very chilled and laid back environment.

Ski Shop: The ski shop in the building offers a wide selection of ski gear for the few names they carry - north face, arcteryx, swany, giro etc etc. However, Christy Sports (in the complex/plaza) has a wider variety of brands.

Cons:
Room service (dining): Apart from a good spread served for breakfast, they have a VERY limited lunch and dinner selection unfortunately. In fact, I'd suggest NOT ordering dinner there - it is pricey and the quality of their dinners are subpar to be honest. I had bronchitis and had to stay in 2 days - ordered room service one day, and got pickup from Shallow Shaft the second day instead - for the price you pay for room service, you can get a VERY decent pizza + salad at the Shallow Shaft (with change) + pay for the return trip!!!

Room service (general): Room service kindda sloppy, we returned twice (within a 9 day stay) to find our rooms untidied, and the bathroom towels weren't refreshed.... Needed to call and ask them to provide towels / tidy up the room.

Lack of entertainment: When we were there there were movie nights (we didn't attend though, so not sure where they played those movies), however, there really isn't much to do in the Cliff (or the area, in general) after dark. So bring your own entertainment - cards, books, games...

Rentals: Rentals in the rental shop were more expensive than Christy's - plus, demo skis in Christy's were of better quality of wider variety than the one in the building. If you don't mind walking across to the plaza, better off going to Christy's.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank fifif311
Reviewed 19 January 2012

This resort is BIG! The hotel has something like 10 levels with a pool on two of them. One floor is dedicated almost totally to skiing. It has ski lockers, a ski shop, ski rentals, ski tuning, a ski shuttle to Alta... The spa is great and there are several good restaurants. The lobby areas are spacious with leather couches in open seating areas. They always have something to do there. One night they had the latest Warren Miller ski movie playing for free in one of the big conference areas. I'm trying to think of at least one criticism but I can't.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 January 2012

Me and 3 friends (all 27-32) stayed Jan 6-Jan 10 and luckily we came the day before 7'' of powder! Just awesome!! The runs are well groomed and it was very snowboarder friendly. We all had a great time bombing down the mountain. I will say though, your quads and calves will get a good workout going down all those cat tracks and some of them are very narrow. Not for beginners. Not very fun when it's super busy either but we didn't experience that since we came during a much less busy time (no snow for about a week prior to our visit). It's ultra convenient to get to the lifts and back to the hotel (although you do have to ride the very slow bunny hill lift if you don't want to walk up the hill to get back) and there is a ticket office, snowboard tuning shop, and and an indoor locker room for your boards or skis all in the same place attached to the hotel INDOORS. it's also not as busy since it's mainly hotel guests using them. It is seriously the most convenient boarding trip I have ever had and I've gone on quite a few (Whistler, Mt. Baker, Tahoe, etc).

Never had to go outside for very long if at all to get to the restaurants and the breakfast buffet at the Aerie was killer! Just delicious. However, the happy hour at the Aerie was a bit of a disappointment. You get what you pay for I guess. The actual dinner there is quite good so I'd recommend that. The Mexican place was also pretty good and a great place to go drinking at. There is no night life there and beer at the convenience stores at the lodge are quite expensive ($14 for a six pack!) so ask your shuttle driver to stop by the 7-11 if you want to stock up for snacks and beer on your trip. Just tip generously. =)

The hot tubs were great too. Since there's 3 it was easy to find one that wasn't completely occupied and they must have their water heaters running under the cement there because I forgot to bring my flip flops and went out there in my bare feet and the cement in some places was actually quite warm. Their hot tubs were hotter than others I've been to which is great because some HOT water is really what my muscles want after a day of good snow fun. The pool was really nice too with 4ft on one side and 6ft on the other.

Overall I thought the cliff lodge was a fantastic choice. We even got 2 lift tickets for every night we stayed making it a steal! They even had complimentary rice crispy treats in the shape of the snowbird logo (you see that logo EVERYWHERE) at the concierge desk. The convenience, friendliness of the staff, and ample sitting places made it one of the funnest and relaxing snow trips I've ever had. The only downside was that their beds were slightly uncomfortable but they were definitely bearable so not a deal breaker. The water pressure was also a bit spotty but just pretend that it's a weak massage shower head and you'll think nothing of it. =P

Thanks Cliff Lodge for a great trip!

Room Tip: Any of the mountainside rooms have a great view of the snowy mountain so you can't go wrong with one of those. =) Bring your own dvds and games because you may get bored at night. There are dvd players in the rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We have stayed at many ski lodges around the United States and Canada and The Cliff Lodge certainly ranks among the highest for our family. Although there was relatively little snow and therefore no crowds, I still feel I can evaluate The Cliff on the basis of our extremely comfortable, ample sized room, wonderful and very friendly staff, excellent ski/in and ski/out facilities, and beautifully appointed restaurants. Definitely a highly recommended place for anyone skiing at Snowbird and Alta.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family