“Never again”
Review of Hanksville Inn

Hanksville Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hanksville
Reviewed 12 June 2015

i booked a couple of rooms at this place about 3 months in advanced of my travel. A few days before I was to arrive, the guy calls me up and says sorry the decided to rent the whole place out to another group. This and I had a confirmed reservation with a credit card number on file.

A few days later I get another call from him wanting me to call back as he now had rooms available. Well I did not call back and I'd never trust him again. I did find a very nice place for the same price just around the corner.

I can tell you that based on the outside appearance of the Hanksville Inn, I'm glad I got to stay somewhere else. The place looks like it's rotting into the ground.

Room Tip: Stay at The Wispering Sands Motel. What a nice place it is.
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank coyotek

Reviewed 8 June 2015

Worst experience ever. To be precise, I can't tell anything about the rooms etc ... because they never let me in. But let me tell the whole story: Due to some hassle with another hotel, I lost my reservation for that day and had to find something in or near Hanksville for the next day (on Memorial Day weekend). Bad enough (almost everything booked out) but I was happy to get an internet reservation at the Hanksville Inn, which I secured with my credit card ... and on the internet site the booking was definitely confirmed. Since I expected to arrive late, I called them in the afternoon and was confirmed by some lady that they would wait for us. So we arrived after several hours on the road at around 1 am (as I notified them !) to check in ... I ringed out a man who told me with a very stale apology that they were full ... nothing free ... that he was told by the woman somebody called but he wouldn't accept internet reservations anymore ... that by his knowledge everyone in the area is full, too and that he wishes us good luck. No offer for help finding anything.

My recommendation: Try that place only if you have a comfortable RV or tent at hand. Even one point is far too much for that, I'd give a hard minus 5 if I could. (For completeness: The Whispering Sands nearby was full, too, but the Lady at the counter tortured her phone for us and finally found us a (good) bed for the night at the Aquarius in Bicknell. God bless her ...)

Room Tip: Have a tent or RV at hand.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Merkosh
Reviewed 30 May 2015

Myself and a friend were backpacking about 400 miles of the Hayduke Trail from Arches National Park to Escalante. We originally planned to re-supply at Hite, but it was closed, so we re-supplied at Hanksville and stayed at the Hanksville Inn. Ed, the owner, allowed us to send out re-supply packages to him so we would not be hampered by having to get into town during post office hours (problematic when depending on hitchhiking to get from the trail into town). The rooms were clean and comfortable, everything worked and I especially liked being able to walk across the street to the best restaurant in town--the Slickrock Grill. I enjoy supporting local businesses. I noticed the motel parking lot was full every evening with people who had been enjoying being out in the desert--4 WDs, motorcycles, campers. We stayed here for two re-supplies.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 May 2015

Ed, the owner is a man with a lot of character. He works extremely hard to try to keep this old motel up and running. Not quite the only game in town but close the summer demand keeps this place alive. It's definitely not pretty but Ed does take some pride in his establishment and has been upgrading the rooms little by little. If you compare this motel to others in a metropolitan area you will find it lacking but in this region its ok. Many minor cosmetic repairs are needed, but the bones are there. The rooms are clean, the beds are not terrible and there is a mini fridge and microwave in most rooms. We picked up an inexpensive coffee maker and toaster so we had the convenience of coffee and bagels but even without that there is a coffee shop right across the road. This is the kind of place that gives what it gets. We had nothing but good service and kindness from the staff but we also had no great expectations or demands.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgraded room , if that is not possible rooms 9 and 10 are close to a nice little shaded...
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 May 2015

We always enjoy supporting locally owner run businesses so we were kinda psyched to stay at the Hanksville Inn. However the room we stayed in, and the atmosphere of the hotel were a little too rough for us. The windows are broken, the bed has the bottom kinda popped out, the wall paneling is splitting apart in spite of the scotch tape repair, the bathroom is haphazardly pieced together, the shower taps blast intermittent hot n cold water, and so on and so forth...

Our enthusiasm was further dampened when some guy in a pickup pulled up and proceeded to get into a loud argument with the owner in the parking lot next to our room..not the ambiance most tourists are seeking. I will give Hanksville a pass in the future

Room Tip: go elsewhere
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple

Been to Hanksville Inn? Share your experiences!