All reviews aman resorts mesa view lake powell desert view antelope canyon sheer beauty great lakes broken arrow private pool horseshoe bend slot canyon tour of the property natural landscape surrounding desert remote location amazing resort rock climbing
Reviewed 1 January 2018 via mobile

I’ve been to several beautiful hotels, and even a few Amans. All are unique and special, but this Aman was like stepping back in time 100,000 years into a time when glaciers still cut the landscape and Pleistocene era great saber tooth cats and woolly mammoths roamed the landscape. When you are here you’re on the edge of great tectonic plates crashing into each other and you can feel that you are at the energetic center of something far greater than yourself. The hotel is a masterpiece, nestled artfully into the rim rock and ancient review beds. You look out onto only landscape and the understated balance is there accentuate and uplift the natural world around you. All is restful and peaceful and if the highest quality. It is fineness without unneeded flourish or gluttonous excess. We left here better than we came - well rested both mentally and physically. (Note, we stayed in feb 2014)

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Andy M
Reviewed 1 January 2018

Everything about this place was amazing. Granted we just went for lunch and didn't stay, but wow.

The drive in was surreal. It was an adventure in an of itself, as it is quite discrete and almost secretive. And the property covertly emerges from the landscape as you approach. Staff promptly greet you and take your car. And you are escorted to a gorgeous main room with views extending to the horizon.

Lunch was lovely. A tasty buffet of salads, pizzas, and salsas. And the wine pairings were great.

I'm so happy we visited and look forward to our return. That said, the place was serene so may not be appropriate for children.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Rahul R
Reviewed 24 December 2017

Amangiri is arguably the most stunning, surreal and remote luxury property in the U.S. It's also located within the proximity of some of the most iconic Southwest USA locations, including Lake Powell/Glen Canyon, the numerous Slot Canyons, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Sedona, Arches and Grand Canyon, some of which we explored on our own. What surprised us about Amangiri was its sheer size - it's huge, gorgeous and chock full of places to explore that it can be considered a destination all by itself. One could spend more than a few days availing oneself to the numerous hikes and other activities on offer within its premises. Make sure to hike the Hoodoo Trail as well as to Broken Arrow Cave. And do not miss out on trying one of the guided Via Ferrata hikes at Amangiri - it's exhilarating!

We stayed for 5 nights during Thanksgiving week, meaning it was the first time that we stayed at an Aman property that was at 100% occupancy. Despite that, the entire Aman staff was friendly and helpful, always going out of their way to help us best enjoy our stay. Some meal orders were unfulfilled (we asked twice on several occasions), and at times they seemed a bit overwhelmed with the number of guests they had to deal with at any one time. What they lacked in polish was made up by their sheer enthusiasm, making the minor service flubs easily forgivable. While service levels here are not comparable to the best Asian Amans, it's definitely top-notch by American standards. One weak spot (which can also be said of quite a few Amans) is in the area of food & beverage. For those staying longer than the 5 nights we stayed, the menu will get repetitive quite fast. The quality was also inconsistent - some of the dishes were fantastic, while others were decidedly mediocre. I'm guessing that Amangiri's remoteness contributes to staff that do not last long; we are aware that there's been a steady churn of executive chefs in recent years, which probably had something to do with the variable quality of the F&B.

The vastness, sheer beauty, luxury and serenity of Amangiri is what allows it to command the kind of prices it charges. To us, it was money well spent.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank KI-NRT
Reviewed 16 December 2017

My wife and I stayed at Amangiri in February. We have stayed at 7 other Amans, and this is one of the more dramatic. We also went to Zion National Park which is a bit more dramatic but obviously not as luxury.

The property is amazing and massive. We spent a full day just hiking around their property, on our own, and could have kept going for longer. A lot to explore.

We did a few trips on our own to Page, where there are some great sites (Horseshoe Canyon and Antelope Canyon) worth checking out.

Unlike other Amans, the food was all included, which is just a better experience.

The price is nuts (I think we paid $2000+ per night) for rooms which aren't that exceptional. The way I think about this hotel -- if you are someone who literally can throw $1000 bills around and not get stressed, then this is an amazing experience. The excursions to Page are crazy expensive as well. We just went on our own.

I was told not to fly my drone on the property, which I respect, but was disappointed by as there is a lot of totally isolated areas where it would have had no impact on privacy or safety.

Overall an incredible holiday that you certainly pay for.

Room Tip: Don't think it's worth it to spend up for a room here.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Sam G
Reviewed 11 December 2017

Amangiri is out of this world amazing in every way. Coming here is like coming to another planet. Surrounded by the most beautiful landscapes imaginable, it's hard not to be in heaven. We had a large group of 16 that stayed in the Mesa Home as well as in Desert Suites for a big surprise birthday trip. The house was gorgeous with a private pool and kitchen (and was completely decorated with our family photos when we arrived!!), although because we were so busy with activities, we weren't able to enjoy it as much as we would have liked to. The Desert Suites were also fantastic and although they were the furthest from the pool and spa, it was a lovely walk and really not that far. I'm not sure it's worth paying extra to stay in the Mesa Suites instead.

I was really worried about service after reading reviews here but had a totally fine experience. Things were a little slow at breakfast sometimes and we had some difficulties getting items we needed to the house, but all in all, it was great and every single staff member was extremely welcoming and kind. I had also read negative reviews about the food but enjoyed everything we ate. Everything in the main restaurant and by the pool was delicious - especially breakfast! The food we had at the two special dinners was maybe not AS good but still nothing to complain about and beautifully presented. If you come with a large group I would HIGHLY recommend doing a group dinner at the Chinle Site or outside at the desert lounge. It was great to get out of the main restaurant and do something special.

Activities were beyond amazing, and we did a lot of them. I think everyone's favorite was Lake Powell, which even on a super windy day, was so much fun. We rented three boats through Amangiri that took us to the Rainbow Bridge where we got out and hiked and had lunch. Yes, it was extremely expensive, but for a large group, it was great to have the hotel take care of all the little details - lunch, transportation, booking, etc. We also did the Slot Canyon Tour which was out of this world!! I had been dying to go to Antelope Canyon but when we met with our guides they recommended not going because of how crowded it is. I insisted we go anyway and am really glad we did as it's not to be missed. They were actually able to slip us in in between tour groups and so we had it completely to ourselves. We also made time to get to the spa and it was heavenly. Even if you don't get a service, I recommend going to check it out and use their jacuzzi which I think is way prettier than the main one by the pool.

None of this trip would have been possibly without our fearless planner, Ayla, who helped us plan this huge 16 person surprise trip for 6 months via bi-weekly conference calls. She made great suggestions and really made sure we had a perfect experience. And we did. I can't wait to return again some day, hopefully soon!!!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family