“Lots to choose from”

Allen Family Style Meals
Ranked #2 of 36 Restaurants in Sweetwater
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 7 May 2017

The evening buffet is $10, which includes your drink, all you can eat buffet and dessert. What a deal! Many dishes to choose from, and plenty of vegetables, which is what I was hungry for. The only disappointment was the peach cobbler, which was not good. The okra, sweet potatoes, corn, green beans and chicken were really good.

Reviewed 20 April 2017

They must be doing something right. I used to eat there about 45 years ago and it doesn't sound like it has changed. Food was great then and oil field people always went out of their way to eat there if possible. Noone left hungry. I have seen people who frequented the Petroleum Club in Dallas eat there and rave about the place.

Reviewed 14 April 2017 via mobile

The review of 3-11-17 obviously did not go to the same place for lunch that I did as the lunch at Allen's is not a buffet. I had heard about this place from friends and we were not disappointed. We sat down and they started bringing out every side dish you could imagine. Then they brought a plate of some of the best fried chicken you will ever have. And the cobbler is fantastic! And it's only $10 per person.

Reviewed 14 March 2017

If you're passing by or in Sweetwater and its lunch time you should stop here. I've been numerous times, and have never been disappointed. You walk in, see an empty seat and sit down. The waitress will arrive instantly and ask if you want tea or water and give you your utensils. Everything is served family style on the table. You take what you want and pass it along. If something runs out, its refilled very quickly. There are at least eight vegetable options, plus roast beef, and the very BEST fried chicken ever. Just like grandmas. Rolls and peach cobbler also included. When you've eaten all you can put away, its $10 including tax. You can't get a go-box, but if necessary you can order a boxed meal to go. Most tables seat at least 8, so you can meet your dining neighbors. Parking is adequate. The location is on East Broadway or the I20 business route. They also have a buffet in another building across from the main building on Tuesday and Friday evenings. I've never been to it, but have been told it's the same food, only you serve yourself. It's my understanding that the Allen family has been in the food business one form or another in Sweetwater since the 1940s

Reviewed 11 March 2017

Think this is my first ever one star rating but this place warrants it. Sweetwater was our overnight stop so due to reviews on TripAdvisor we decided to try this place. We thought it sounded like something a little different than the usual places we all tend to eat at so let's give it a try. Big mistake. I have no idea who is giving this place four and five stars ( maybe management, relatives or friends? ) Please go and read the one and two star reviews as they are all pretty much right on.

Right from the parking lot on we should of changed our minds and went somewhere else. The place looks looks like it needs some TLC as soon as you pull in to park. When you enter you simply pay the $10.00, pick a table and go through the buffet line, at least that was the drill the evening we were there. As you look around it looks like it needs a good cleaning and has absolutely no atmosphere.

The food at the buffet? Most of it was lukewarm at best. Additionally, several items had to of been leftover from noon or possibly the day before. Besides items that should of been hot and were cold the roles had been out so long they were dried out. About the only item that I could say something positive about would be the chicken as it was OK but nothing to rave about as some have stated.

Lastly, service. Pretty much non-existent The one and only waitress working the dining area almost acted as if she were disgusted any of those dining were there. It was like the cat had gotten her tongue as she was so indifferent to everyone. This is always tolerable but in this place it just added to the bad experience.

We like to try the local home town places when we travel and I guess you win some and loose some? This is as big of loss as we have had. Should you spend time in Sweetwater find somewhere else to dine.

2  Thank AR-Doodad