“Rude staff, dirty curtains, and broken door”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #28 of 32 Hotels in South Padre Island
Reviewed 19 July 2016

All but one of the staff was really rude. The person who checked us in was particularly unprofessional. The room was bigger than we expected and it seemed clean at first, especially since it has tile and not carpet, which is really smart since it's a beach destination. However, when I went to close the curtains for some privacy I realized that the curtains had huge stains on them. The restroom door had a large dent. It look like someone had punched it. We went to the pool but decided against it after we saw that the water was cloudy and it had a heavy chlorine smell (a sign the water was unsanitary). overall horrible even for the price.

Room Tip: Avoid if at all possible
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank Kimberly E

Reviewed 29 June 2016 via mobile

We booked the room because it was cheap and it would give us the extra funds to spend on activities. The room was just that, cheap. The bathroom was run down and Housekeeping would take the towels and not replace them. If you are looking for a place to just sleep and clean up this place is for you.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Lupita P
Reviewed 11 June 2016 via mobile

We booked what seemed like an affordable hotel for families. Typically, we stay at Marriotts but since we wanted to spend more on activities, we opted for this place. We drove 6 hours and checked in at 6 to find dirty sheets, very few skimpy towels, crumbs in the beds, a few bugs crawling behind the bed, a poorly patched hole in the tub and... wait for it... a dead roach in the refrigerator! Parking is also horrible and the smell from the open dumpster was disgusting!
No iron/ironing board either. Breakfast is a joke! We battled to have the rest of our stay refunded and finally had to call corporate office for a refund! The only positive was the nice lady at the front desk.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank aileecia c
Reviewed 8 June 2016

For the price we paid it was ok..room furniture needs updating bad (the bed was great). But then again I'm sure this place is a hit for spring breakers. When we first arrived there were bear bottles in the parking lot & broken glass on the steps up to the rooms. Had issues both days with getting clean towels.. our room would get cleaned and dirty towels taken out but they wouldn't leave clean towels, had to ask for them. Then at 9:15 our first night they came knocking on our door saying there was a problem with our credit card..went to the office and there were several others in there that were told the same thing..come to find out nothing was wrong..whoever checked people in failed to hit some confirmation button. Also had issues with room keys not working on 2 different occasions. We wont stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Katie B
DARSHAN P, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2016

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to do our survey. Know that your comments are very important to us. We apologize for any inconviences you might of incounter during your stay. We are under new management and we will make sure we address all issues with all our staff members.

Maria Garcia(GM)
Econo Lodge
South Padre Island

Reviewed 2 June 2016 via mobile

I booked this Econo Lodge in February, the price was a major reason I booked. The hotel staff never cleaned my room for 4 days stay. The hotel was to give me a wake up call, I even set my room alarm. Well no one called, power went out the evening before a chartered fishing trip. I missed my fishing charter. I had received a refund, minus a single person fish $ 256.83. Well the front desk only gave me excuses , then I was told .( I guess we should have walked down and knocked on your room door. I'm sorry doesn't fix a ruined vacation. Asked for the regional manager, told individually owned. Asked for Oweners business #,I was refused the business and I was told that the staff shouldn't be made to go wake me up. Needless to say I Do Not Recommend this place to . Run the other direction and save you vacation. The worst hotel I have ever stayed. Oh yeah brush up on your Spanish, only one person spoke English.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple