All reviews stayed here would definitely stay here again breakfast included other hotels clean hotel front desk staff comfortable stay frontage road pool and hot tub outlet shopping mini fridge comfortable bed embassy suites carafe outlets gym ac
Reviewed 22 August 2018 via mobile

This is a nice, comfortable place to stay with excellent staff and the room service was also very good and quick. The location is centrally located to all the attractions and TXSTU which is nice for visiting parents. They also have bath tubs for those who need to soak after walking all the hills at TXSTU. A little high $$

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2018

Overview: Photographs and descriptions of this hotel are misleading. While they depict what would appear to be a new hotel, after staying there I believe this hotel was probably recently renovated and is not actually new. I had many issues and inconveniences during my August 2018 stay, they are detailed below. For the quick and dirty, the hotel is adequate but not worth the price or the fraction of your utility bill to took to find it online when compared to other accommodations in the city. If you need to rest your head for a few hours and don’t care about the hotel experience, this place is alright (but there are cheaper options); if you’re looking to enjoy your stay, explore other options. I would have preferred to sleep in my car and save myself the bill.
Hotel Overall: Check in was quick and for being right off I-35 it is a quiet venue. The parking is insufficient, however, and parts of the ground floor have an unexplainable, atrocious smell that is reminiscent of sewage or the soiled diaper of an infant on a high protein diet. The lobby was generally clean.
Room: My room was adequate but nothing exceptional. It is clear the furniture is new, and the room was large, but it has clearly seen other configurations as there are awkward spaces and the AC while functional sounded like a diesel pickup truck while running. The room, sheets, and surfaces were clean, but the water reservoir on the coffee maker has seen much better days. I requested a deluxe room and suspect that is not what I got; if this was deluxe then the standard rooms are likely a disappointing situation. The complimentary Wi-Fi was appreciated but inadequate for regular browsing; I ultimately resulted to using my phone’s hotspot.
Bathroom: The bathroom is being reviewed separately because I don’t think it is reflective of the rest of the room. The bathroom is small with an oversized vanity and new fixtures in the tub/shower combo. These really stand out as the bathroom is the size of a closet and the vanity was so large there was barely room for the toilet, which seems to have been an afterthought. The toilet also appeared older and was small and low to the ground. I know what you’re thinking, and I’m an athletic six-foot male. The toilet is also located directly in front of the sink. Convenient or unfortunate, your call. The tub was also ragged and had patch jobs all over it whereas the exterior of the tub did not even meet the tile on the floor. While the toilet and vanity were clean, the shower came with complimentary hair: on the walls, the tub, and the curtain. I know it wasn’t mine as the hair was 4-6” and brunette, whereas I have black hair and a buzzcut. The towels were fresh and so were the soaps.
Pool/Amenities: This hotel is located in San Marcos, Texas and it was August when I visited. August. In southern/central Texas. It was 101 degrees Fahrenheit outside when I arrived. A large part of my selecting this hotel was for the pool area, which I learned after check-in was “closed for routine maintenance.” I place quotes on that last bit as the signage (a lazy paper printout) indicating such had clearly been up for a while, and there was no notice given that the pool area would be unavailable. Had I been aware of this fact alone I would have changed my reservation. The fitness center was passable but nothing fancy, as was the laundry. This hotel does not offer complimentary breakfast because it features a “bistro” and a bar. Prices at the dining option are expensive and the bar is not regularly staffed.

Room Tip: Select a room at a different hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
Michael V, Manager at Holiday Inn San Marcos, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2018

We're very sorry to hear that about your stay at the Holiday Inn San Marcos during Graduation weekend.
We will work with staff to ensure that our service is improved. Safe travels

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

I definitely recommend this hotel. It was affordable (comparable price to other hotels in San Marcos), clean, close to the river, close to the highway, and close to the "downtown" area of San Marcos. The pool and patio were nice and open at night along with the bar which was open until 11 pm. The bar manager was very friendly and informative as well. I was disappointed that there was not a continental breakfast included but they did have free coffee and water in the lobby. They also had a refrigerator in the room, a coffee maker in the room, and a microwave in the lobby. It was a nice quick visit for our 2 day river trip.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
Michael V, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Marcos, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2018

Dear Rachel B.,
Thank you for writing about your stay and your ranking! We do appreciate your feedback.

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and found us convenient to the San Marcos river and downtown San Marcos.

As a full service Holiday Inn we have a full service restaurant and bar. Unlike a Holiday Inn Express which does offer a continental breakfast. With us you can receive a fully cooked breakfast to your liking.

We do hope to see you again soon!

Michael V.

Reviewed 24 May 2018

Nice location between San Marcos and the outlets. Felt very safe as well in the parking lot. Friendly front staff. Comfortable stay for a family. Pool was small and packed full of kids. Spa was in a separate area which is nice but was also full of adults. We were not able to enjoy the water the whole weekend. Coffee in room was very nice and downstairs. There is not a free breakfast but an option for a weekend breakfast buffet. Children under a certain age were free which was nice as well. We decided to try it because they were in the back cooking the food. I would not have eaten the breakfast again even if it were free. My room could have been cleaner. We found some trash in a few places. My husband said he would not go back. I would stay again but not have the breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank caramy5029
Michael V, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Marcos, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2018

Dear Caramy5029,
Thank you for your ranking and review! We do appreciate your feedback.

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay. We will share your comments with our housekeeping team to inform them of your findings.

Look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Mike V.

Reviewed 2 May 2018

Its a Holiday Inn -- no surprises. Very new; great beds, nice room, a good work out room --actual free weights and equipment that wasn't from 1980. But....hotel is parallel to I-35 - the interstate that never sleeps. Windows/rooms not sound proof--plenty of road noise. A/C unit his hurricane strength--beware if you won't like (a really strong) draft all night long.

Room Tip: As far away from the road as possible
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank HowzitMinneapolis
Michael V, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Marcos, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2018

Dear HowzitMinneapolis,

Thank you for your review and ranking! We do appreciate the feedback!

We are happy that you were able to enjoy our on site fitness center. Sorry for the road noise. The AC units do have two speeds. Perhaps it was set on high.

We do look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Mike V.