“Great Service, OK Food”

Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed 7 May 2018

Herbert’s gets a lot of style points for staying true to its 70’s vibe. The little grocery store next door is like a trip to the local bait shop from my childhood. Our server was very helpful with the quirky menu and returned often to check on us during the meal. The food was bland and uneventful.

Reviewed 4 May 2018

Encouraged by good reviews, we went to Herbert's Taco Hut. This restaurant is very popular, and despite the building being surprisingly large, we had to wait (we arrived at 1 p.m. on a Thursday, but couldn't be seated until 1:30). We ordered the daily special-- beef enchiladas, rice, and beans-- and the quality and taste of the food was disappointing (also too salty). The portions were ample and the prices were moderate. The salsa was among the best we've tasted. The bottom line, however, is that in San Marcos, there are better Mexican food choices.

Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

We were recently in town for business and wanted Mexican food for dinner. We searched TripAdvisor and found Herbert’s. It’s a few blocks off the interstate and was a busy place, even for a weeknight. We waited about 15 minutes for a table. It’s small and tight inside but cozy, possibly a former house. We enjoyed our meals of enchiladas and rellenos. The salsa was spicy, which we like. The chips seemed like from a bag. It was good and we’d eat here again if in town.

Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

We were in San Marcos for our granddaughter’s softball tournament, heard the food at Herbert’s was wonderful, we decided to give it a try. Long line, people in line assured us it was worth the wait, we waited. We were seated 25 minutes after we arrived. Service was good, waitress was quick & efficient. Salsa was good with a good amount of “heat”, queso was yummy but chips were a tad stale. My husband ordered the enchilada dinner which were good but nothing exciting. I ordered the beef soft tacos a la Carte with guacamole, they were served with really good flour tortillas, loaded with enough meat to make several more tacos. They were good, but once again nothing to write home about. Food is good, but not the best I’ve ever had, but would definitely not hesitate to go there again. I guess I just expected more!

Reviewed 15 March 2018

I went here with my nephew, who had gone to college in San Marcos and had eaten here many times during his undergrad days. They had a crowd early on a Friday evening, so we had to wait a short while, maybe ten minutes, and people continued to arrive as we were leaving.

I had the carne guisada, which tasted OK, but it just doesn't stack up against the Mexican food I'm used to having in Houston. If in San Marcos, I'd eat here again, but frankly, I've had better.