“An obvious favorite of the locals ”
Review of Herbert's Taco Hut

Herbert's Taco Hut
Ranked #6 of 300 Restaurants in San Marcos
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner
Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

We were recently in town for business and wanted Mexican food for dinner. We searched TripAdvisor and found Herbert’s. It’s a few blocks off the interstate and was a busy place, even for a weeknight. We waited about 15 minutes for a table. It’s small and tight inside but cozy, possibly a former house. We enjoyed our meals of enchiladas and rellenos. The salsa was spicy, which we like. The chips seemed like from a bag. It was good and we’d eat here again if in town.

Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

We were in San Marcos for our granddaughter’s softball tournament, heard the food at Herbert’s was wonderful, we decided to give it a try. Long line, people in line assured us it was worth the wait, we waited. We were seated 25 minutes after we arrived. Service was good, waitress was quick & efficient. Salsa was good with a good amount of “heat”, queso was yummy but chips were a tad stale. My husband ordered the enchilada dinner which were good but nothing exciting. I ordered the beef soft tacos a la Carte with guacamole, they were served with really good flour tortillas, loaded with enough meat to make several more tacos. They were good, but once again nothing to write home about. Food is good, but not the best I’ve ever had, but would definitely not hesitate to go there again. I guess I just expected more!

Reviewed 15 March 2018

I went here with my nephew, who had gone to college in San Marcos and had eaten here many times during his undergrad days. They had a crowd early on a Friday evening, so we had to wait a short while, maybe ten minutes, and people continued to arrive as we were leaving.

I had the carne guisada, which tasted OK, but it just doesn't stack up against the Mexican food I'm used to having in Houston. If in San Marcos, I'd eat here again, but frankly, I've had better.

Reviewed 28 February 2018

Every time we travel to San Marcos, we make a point to stop at Herbert's Taco Hut. Everything is so tasty and authentic here. The salsa is home made and fresh, the enchiladas are great along with just about everything else on the menu. You really can't go wrong. The service is very prompt and excellent. Sometimes there is a wait, but it is well worth it and you should go home full. Prices are very fair along with the portion sizes. If you haven't been here, I highly recommended giving it a try. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 9 February 2018 via mobile

Over Holiday Season, we enjoyed our kids and grandkids at our fave San Marcos Mexican restaurant! We had a short wait, expected, and a good sign the food is still gooood as it had been for many years.

The chips and salsa are great, as are the big variety of dishes offered. Many good memories enjoyed at Herbert’s.