“Acceptable but Nothing Special”
Review of Herbert's Taco Hut

Herbert's Taco Hut
Ranked #7 of 287 Restaurants in San Marcos
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed 15 March 2018

I went here with my nephew, who had gone to college in San Marcos and had eaten here many times during his undergrad days. They had a crowd early on a Friday evening, so we had to wait a short while, maybe ten minutes, and people continued to arrive as we were leaving.

I had the carne guisada, which tasted OK, but it just doesn't stack up against the Mexican food I'm used to having in Houston. If in San Marcos, I'd eat here again, but frankly, I've had better.

Reviewed 28 February 2018

Every time we travel to San Marcos, we make a point to stop at Herbert's Taco Hut. Everything is so tasty and authentic here. The salsa is home made and fresh, the enchiladas are great along with just about everything else on the menu. You really can't go wrong. The service is very prompt and excellent. Sometimes there is a wait, but it is well worth it and you should go home full. Prices are very fair along with the portion sizes. If you haven't been here, I highly recommended giving it a try. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 9 February 2018 via mobile

Over Holiday Season, we enjoyed our kids and grandkids at our fave San Marcos Mexican restaurant! We had a short wait, expected, and a good sign the food is still gooood as it had been for many years.

The chips and salsa are great, as are the big variety of dishes offered. Many good memories enjoyed at Herbert’s.

Reviewed 5 February 2018

I just ate their for lunch in late January. Their is always a full lunch crowd, but worth
the wait. The service is excellent, and the food comes to your table really fast.

Reviewed 5 February 2018 via mobile

We have been going here for about 10 years. I was never a fan of cheese enchiladas until I had these! They don’t use the typical sauce but a gravy that is incredible. 2 cheese enchiladas, rice and beans for under $8. Love this place and frequently drive more than an hour out of the way to eat here. If you are traveling between Austin and San Antonio, stop here. You will be glad you did. It is not much to look at from the outside, but the food is great!