“Hidden Gem....”

Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in San Marcos
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Hidden Gem....”
Reviewed 10 January 2011

After leaving Dallas we wanted to make a quick stop at the outlets and happened to grab a good price for this La Quinta. The front office staff was extremely nice to point of my husband commenting on it. Hospitality like that is truly rare, the young man went out of his way to make sure we were comfortable. The room was great...clean no issues with the bathroom or beds. The lighting system in this particular room needs to be looked at. Breakfast was okay, nothing to rave about. The usual waffle machine was there along with toast, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, bananas, and oatmeal. One key thing that was missing was jelly...how can someone eat toast with no jelly? Better yet, it's not that hard to go to Sam's Club or Costco and purchase some for large crowds. Other than that, I absolutely loved this hotel and was quite impressed.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Houston
Reviewed 20 September 2010

This hotel is not one of the recently remodeled La Quinta's but is was clean and comfortable. The night time staff was very personable and helpful. The morning guy was not so personable. The hair dryer in the room did not work and the refrigerator did not work either. Unfortunately we did not find out about the refrigerator until the next morning so my left over pizza I had planned to eat for breakfast spoiled. Other than that, the bed was very comfortable and the room was well equipped with other amenities. The continental breakfast was good with all of the usual stuff. Just remember when staying at this motel to check for home college sports games. There a was a football game this weekend and tailgating in the parking lot of the hotel. Also lots of noise from upstairs. Overall, we were happy with the room and would stay again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Houston
Reviewed 5 June 2010

Stayed here to visit the Texas State University with my godson. The room was bright and cheery, clean and comfortable. It was not a Hilton or Marriott, but at the Triple A rate it was a very good value. The air conditioner worked well and the pool was nice. The breakfast was basic, but did include waffles and a boiled eggs in addition to juice, bagels and cereal. The free internet was nice.

The motel was on the feeder road to I-35 and there was no safe area to run (no side streets).

We ate at Logan's. My godson had the fried catfish and I had the tilapia, neither of us thought the meal was very good.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 13 May 2010

We stayed here on an overnight trip to visit Austin with our 8 month old daughter and another couple, in separate rooms. We got checked in by an extraordinarily rude woman, who I asked to put us in rooms near each other, and she said yes. We checked in, and when our friends checked in, at the same time, she put us in separate buildings! When I questioned her, she very rudely told me that it was not possible after she had just told me yes 5 minutes earlier. She spoke to me like I was a 5 year old being chastised.

On to the room: If you stay here, ask to be in the newer building, because the rooms in the older building are horrible. OLD and dirty, it reminded me of a $39 a night roadside motel. The shower was moldy and you could here everything going on next door. The older building also has outdoor entrances, which is not acceptable in this price range.

Also, we requested a crib for our daughter, and something straight out of 1970 got delivered to our room. It was so old and rickety, I refused to put my daughter in it, which meant we had to sleep with her in our bed, which of course means we got no sleep.

Breakfast was not good at all. Bread items and some yogurt cups were about it, and possibly the worst coffee I have ever tasted.

On a positive note, they do allow dogs for no charge, which I found helpful, and they have a doggie area, but it was disgusting!

Overall, stay here only if there is no other choice. Not worth the $100 we paid for it!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 26 April 2010

I was hesitant to stay here after reading some of the other reviews but it was the best hotel available for a one night stay with my son for a college visit. I have to say, I was very pleasantly surprised, although the hotel is not new we found the room clean, comfortable and well maintained. The breakfast was the same as other similar hotels and even though the dining room was small we were able to get a table to sit down. My son loved the waffles, a protein would be nice to add to the menu but there was plenty of options to choose from. It was very convenient to the university and the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family