“Wonder Cave is well worth seeing.”

Wonder World Cave and Park
Ranked #7 of 16 things to do in San Marcos
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Welcome to Wonder World Park, a one-of-a-kind Theme Park, known as the 1st show cave in Texas. Visitors have enjoyed touring the Balcones Fault Line Cave for over 105 years, and now, the park has many other attractions for family fun and entertainment. Enjoy a guided tour and discover the nation's only true example of an earthquake formed cave. Go deep underground and see up close the devastation of a major quake. Exit by the "Stratavator" and ride high into the sky to the Tejas Observation Tower. Be amazed by the Topsy-Turvy World of the Anti-Gravity House where everything is backwards, even water flows up hill! Board the train and splash through the waterfalls of Mystery Mountain on your way to the Texas Wildlife Petting Park. Educational and fun for ALL ages, Wonder World Park Cave and Attractions is just minutes from I-35 in San Marcos between Austin and San Antonio. Gift shops, free picnic grounds, free parking and much more await your visit.
Reviewed 1 May 2010

My husband and I visited Wonder World Park in March and chose the admission ticket for the Wonder Cave and the Tower of Texas only. The cave was well worth the visit as this is not the usual cave experience of stalactites and stalagmites. Our guide pointed out many geologic features as we walked through including the fault line of the Balcones Fault. Some of the walkway involves some climbing but there are hand rails and you are not rushed. The view from the top of the observation tower is of the surrounding Hill Country. There is a gift shop that has some very unusual items for sale including a variety of rocks and minerals.

5  Thank 65Linda
"tejas"
"texas"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed 9 October 2009

I took my two year old twin sons and we did the combo ticket (kids 3 and under are free). First was the train ride and a stop to feed the deer. Both kids LOVED it. One of my sons was a little intimidated and didn't want to actually feed the deer but he sat back and watched. Next was a cave tour. Thank goodness there was another family there because there are parts to the cave where toddlers can't walk, the steps are too steep. So another mother helped me by carrying one of my sons through the cave for me. I wouldn't have been able to carry them both on my own. Then we went up on the observation deck and got to see the difference in the Hill Country and the flat lands of Texas. And last but not least was the anti gravity house. Talk about WEIRD trying to walk in it. I found it hilarious watching my two toddlers try to walk around. We had so much fun that we took my husband about a week later for just the train ride. I would highly recommend this place. But if you have a lot of small children, make sure to bring back up! :o)

1  Thank TeelaBoBeela
Reviewed 20 August 2009

Experience- If you are in any way, shape, or form in favor of cave conservation (Leave no trace, take nothing away) I would suggest that you not visit Wonder World. While it is understood that this is not a naturally formed cave and human touch will not harm it, the staff there, or at least the guide that we experienced, are very lax about taking care of their cave and maintaining it in its current state for the future. Our guide told us to touch anything we wanted and even said if we could break off something to go ahead and keep it, just don't tell the manager. The guide even went to a part of the cave and snagged something for one of the kids. Having grown up on Carlsbad Caverns, I was floored. The talk that was given was choppy, scattered, and at times the guide couldn't even remember what they were talking about or the right words. The guide was friendly enough, just not what you'd expect in a cave guide. In fact they admitted to never having been in another cave. However, overlooking the previous, with a better guide and a more conservative attitude toward the cave's value, this would be a good educational opportunity on the earth's layers and what happens on the inside of an earthquake. Just watch your step, as others have said, there are some very large stairs in some areas and little legs can have a hard time.

The tower trip had me cringing, I looked to see when the elevator was last inspected, and after having kiddos down in a cave for an hour- hour and a half, I was suprised that the restroom at the bottom of the tower...your first opportunity, was a unisex one-holer plus a urinal.

They tout a petting zoo, but the only chance to pet anything is when you ride the train through the small wildlife park (everything but the deer and the peacocks are in enclosures) and the very greedy deer accost you for the feed you buy at the snack bar. I was thoroughly dissapointed that we didn't get the chance to see the fainting goats faint! In fact this whole part of the tour, along with the vertigo-inspiring visit to the antigravity house (neat stuff if you can get your guide to stop long enough for you to see it), seemed rushed.

Cost- I was fine with the cost until I found that the experience was not comperable. And be prepared to get hit up for a tip. The "head guide" gives you a little speel at the beginning of the tour (which is at one end of the extensive gift shop) in which they let you know that their guides work for tips. It was not what I expected for what is charged. If you want to just see the cave, that is an option, and it's a viable one if you can stomach the attitude toward the cave. If I'd known the rest of what wasn't in store, I may have considered that route.

Overall- The cave is a good educaional opportunity and neat in its own way, the rest could be made better with a little effort on the part of the guide. Perhaps with a better guide this would have been a better experience, but if these college kids are really working for tips, then their motivation is similar to that of a food server, turn 'em and burn 'em. In other words, get done as fast as possible so you can move on to the next group, and the next tip.

5  Thank bravmama
Reviewed 16 August 2009

It's exspensive, and the cave is very small and nothing to really look at (its a dry cave). Then you go up to an observation tower for a minute, through an anti gravity house (which made me dizzy) and then on a train ride through a petting zoo that you don't get to get out and enteract with the animals you just get to sit in the train and feed them .85 cents a bag deer food. And then thats it.

2  Thank LindaLouConroe_Tx
See more reviews
Reviewed 27 June 2009

Since my kids were on Spring Break, we decided to take the trip to Wonder World. The tour through the cave was alright. My 3 yr old was a bit overwhelmed and my mom who has back troubles was not enjoying it at all. My other 2 kids aged 10 and 8 enoyed it. There are lots of steps and a lot of walking. The observation tower was fun. You get a nice view of the area. I was disappointed with the anti-gravity house. The guide showed us one example of what happens in there then we were urged to follow him. Not much time for photos when you have about 20 people in there all wanting to take pictures and experience it. The train to the feeding park was fun. The deer will eat out of your hand and kids get a kick out of that. Military discounts make the trip worth while and it is super easy to find. There is a huge sign on the interstate that points to it, so you can't miss it. Its worth the money, but when its crowded, your experience can feel rushed

1  Thank southernlady0105