“Believe the poor reviews”

Beachgate CondoSuites and Hotel
Reviewed 10 November 2011

We were very disappointed with the Beachgate. We had been told by several of our friends that it was a great location. True, it is in a great location, however, the hotel/motel room #225 was much less than great. The floors were dirty, the shower curtain & showerhead were moldy, the coffeemaker & dishes weren't clean, & even though the view from the window would have been excellent, you couldn't see it because the window was so dirty. The first night at 10pm the manager decided to work in his workshop directly below our room, running an electric saw to cut wood, drilling with an electric drill & other hammering & banging. When I went down at 10:40pm & asked that the noise cease I was told "Well it's not 10pm yet", & when I informed them of the correct time the response was "Sorry buddy, we have to get this remodeling done & we'll be done soon" & the door was shut in my face. The noise continued for another half hour. Added to this, the bed was like a sack of rocks that sagged in the middle, so, we didn't sleep well at all. On top of this, I woke the next morning with several welts on me from bedbug bites. Obviously, we left the next day without choosing to stay our intended time. I have to give the receptionist credit because when we told her of the problems & that we were leaving early, she did offer to put us in another room, which we declined because we didn't trust that it would be any better, & then gave us a refund for the remaining time we were intending.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank scphel

Reviewed 8 November 2011

stayed at beachgate for 2nd time for annual fishing trip with friends. Beachgate has 2 areas, an area with 2 story condos as well as a 4 story tower. I had stayed previously in one of the 2 story buildings, but must say that this time in the tower was a little nicer. living area was very roomy with a good kitchen. rooms and bathrooms were also nice. beach access was very good as well as a convenient fish cleaning house (downwind). just about the right distance from the center of town. Service was friendly and efficient.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 November 2011

I've traveled all over the world and stayed in 4 star hotels, as well as homestays in
Europe, so let me preface my review by saying that I think that all of Port A is way over-priced for the quality of food and lodging you get here. That being said: Beachgate is pretty and right on the beach and basic and has all the necessities. While I was there, it was off-season, so maybe that made things better. But the girls in the office were super nice, the room(438) was very clean and had a nice little fridge and microwave and 2 comfortable beds and a great view of the ocean. Due to the humidity, there were a few repairs that need to be made during the slow time, like retaping the sheetrock by the tub, but it was still very clean. It is not a full service place. The maids just come by once a day to exchange towels and take out your trash. The back pool was heated (very warm) and the hot tub was nice. The front pool is not heated and the hot tub there was barely warm and had some yellowish scum on it, but I was using the other hot tub, so it didn't matter. I have to say, compared to the other 2 places I've stayed in Port A, this place was luxurious. Port A is just not a fancy place. And yes, I say again, Port A's prices for what you get compared to other locations, are very high. But that considered, for the comparative price to other places here, Beachgate is a good deal.
Our room had a coffee maker, 2 mugs, fridge and microwave. We had 2 double beds and a small table and chairs. An armoire hid the TV. Our remote worked as did everything else there. The water pressure was great. We were in building #4. It is mostly hotel rooms. Building #3 is all 2 and 4 br condos. Building #5 has some of each thing. If you want a great room with a view, get any of the condos that include 521 or 531. They have huge wrap around porches. 237 has a great view too. Building #2 is hotel and 1 br condos that combine to make up to 3BR. The elevator in our building was not working when we were there. But this is the first place in Port A that I've stayed that had an elevator. So just plan on getting a little exercise to burn off all the fried seafood they serve in this town or stay on the 1st floor. All in all, we had a good time and the staff was more than helpful when we asked for suggestions for things to do or an extra bar of soap. I would recommend this to anyone that felt they just had to go to Port A.

Room Tip: 438, 237, 521 and 531, 331 have good views
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank islasisterchick
Reviewed 3 November 2011

My family and I went to beachgate during the summer. Upon our arrival the room appeared to be very nice. As soon as the front door closed there was one problem after another. Such as dirty bandaids on the ceiling fan and appliances that didn't even work. You would think for the price you pay that the employees would at least pretend like they appreciate your business, but instead they were very rude and seemed to care very little about the problems with the room. I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy, that's how bad it was. On the other hand the location was great if thats all you're there for.

Room Tip: Rooms that aren't part of beachgate are better.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Jennifer L
Reviewed 3 November 2011

We stayed in Jun 11, was WAY overpriced and arrived to have to immediately call housekeeping to vacuum (wads of hair and small children’s toys on carpet). (furniture was stained, bathrooms poorly cleaned...) They arrived promptly and picked up items (did not vacuum). We did not have complimentary shampoo-didn’t pack any since we flew into San Antonio... They did not have any and had run out. Our first evening, kids, having a good time, were spitting down on our balcony and were intoxicated, so we took it to management, who did take care of problem. We had adjoining rooms with relatives who had to be moved do to a/c odors they were unable to camouflage with febreeze (or something of the sort). Three months later, they (without approval) charged me a second time for the stay which took too much time to resolve. They will not answer emails or phone calls to resolve issue. There is more, but I am out of space. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY!!!!

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere or you will be disappointed-wish we had read the reviews prior to booking
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family