BEST WESTERN Port Aransas(Port Aransas)(Great Value!)
USD 293
USD 259
Days Inn by Wyndham Port Aransas TX(Port Aransas)(Great Value!)
USD 287
USD 281
Captain's Quarters Inn(Port Aransas)(Great Value!)
USD 234
Island Hotel Port Aransas(Port Aransas)(Great Value!)
USD 271
USD 261
Plantation Suites(Port Aransas)(Great Value!)
USD 271
USD 246
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 24 March 2017

Found the management team very helpful, would have liked to have had a toaster in the unit, but toasted our bagels on the gas stove!
Very glad that we were able to leave our two small dogs in the unit, whilst we went shopping, very convenient.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
Patsy W, General Manager at Double Barr Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2017

Thank you for staying at Double Barr Cottages. Your feedback is what drives us to make changes. I will see about adding toasters to the full kitchens we offer at Double Barr Cottages. We love that your pets were comfortable while you enjoyed the island.
Please come again!
Patsy.

Reviewed 28 February 2017

Stayed there 2/20 to 2/24/2017. They are in the process of updating cottages. Patsy and her crew were all very nice to us. The location is close to the drive on beach. Just load up the car and go! The cottages were what you would expect for their age and the location (very close to the Gulf therefore hurricane prone) a typical beach cottage. Right out the door is your parking place, sitting area and if you walk out to Avenue G, you can see the Gulf. Patsy gave us area information on where to eat and shop including what fish were in season and where to find all you can eat shrimp nights. Next time I'll rent a golf cart. I can travel the entire town in it!

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
Patsy W, General Manager at Double Barr Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2017

Thank you for staying at Double Barr Cottages.

Our standard cottages got a face lift this off season. I hope to have the Deluxe units finished this next year.
Double Barr Cottages is close enough to everything to walk, but the golf carts give you a different point of view of our little island.
Come again and see what else we are doing here at Double Barr Cottages.
Thank you again.

Reviewed 18 August 2016 via mobile

The cottage was old and small. We booked a deluxe and was informed upon our arrival that the booked unit had flooded. There were oscillating fans pointing into the rooms in an attempt to cool the rooms off. It was very hot the entire first day since there was only one a/c window unit for the entire cottage. It was very uncomfortable. The oven also did not work, which was inconvenient since we had purchased food to cook for the trip. The manager promised a new oven would be delivered the next morning. It never arrived and they never contacted us to say it wasn't coming. After we tracked her down she claimed they were "fighting with Lowes" on the matter, and then they gave my sister a key for another unit to cook there, again very inconvenient. The unit we were sent to in order to use the oven was better and cool (2 a/c units), but we were not offered to switch rooms. The futon was incredibly uncomfortable, it felt like a brick and it was very short. The location was good, the fridge worked and the shower was hot. I didn't care for the lack of attentiveness from the staff. I would not bring my family there again. The Best Western across the street was very nice and had kitchenette rooms. Double Barr needs serious upgrades, it took some getting use to.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank JayLovely1
Patsy W, General Manager at Double Barr Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2016

Thank you for staying at Double Barr Cottages.
I'm sorry you had some issues during your stay.

We did have a unit down with a water leak, and a oven door was broken the night before in the unit you were to stay in. After talking with you, you indicated there was no issue with no oven (since the stove still worked fine) during your stay. The next day I again approached you when the oven did not arrive and again was assured you did not really need the oven. At that time we determined that the unit across from you would be empty and gave you the keys to utilize that unit, in which you used the oven, the kitchen, as well as the bathroom and shower.

You seemed satisfied at that time with the two units at your disposal, sorry you did not make anyone aware that you were unhappy with your cottage as moving you to the second unit would not have been an issue since I already had you using it.

All units have stand up oscillating fans instead of ceiling fans. You never mentioned the cottage was warm. All it would have taken is a phone call to let us know your cottage was too warm. We are also moving to 2 window units per cottage to help cool them more efficiently.

I am not sure why you report staff as "sketchy." Staff is in the office until at least noon daily, for guest to approach us with any issues or towel exchange. We do run more than one property and do go between them for various reasons but are never more than a phone call away. We exchanged your towels daily, provided trash bags and toilet paper as well gave you another cottage to use the oven when yours was not able to be used. We do not do daily service, most guest like that our cottages are their own little beach house for their stay. I was never told your cottage was warm or I would have handled that as well. So I am not sure how much more attentive we could have been as we addressed every issue we were made aware of.

Best Western across the street does have 2 kitchen units. The are with two kitchenettes with 2 beds and a kitchen all in one large room that sleeps 4; this is not the same set up as our 450 sq ft cottage with two separate bedrooms AND a full kitchen/living area that sleeps 6. Your unit had a queen, a full bed as well as a bunk bed. Although there is also a futon in the living area, it is not counted as a sleeping futon in this cottage layout.

Continue to enjoy your visits to Port Aransas, stop by and check out improvements we are making in the off season.

Reviewed 11 August 2016

Cant beat the location. It's in the middle of everything and only three blocks from the beach. Quiet family place to spend the night. Served our purpose, but would have liked a little more refinement.
The downside was: A/C is a window unit, insufficient to cool down the entire place. Rust coming though fresh painted window trims, dated appliances. Matresses were terrible, feels like a water bed.

Room Tip: Location and quietness is it's only attribute.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Patsy W, General Manager at Double Barr Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2016

Thank you for staying at Double Barr Cottages.

Our cottages are quaint at 450 sq ft. This is why we keep the occupancy at 6 people including children. Too many people in a cottage makes for a cramped unpleasant hot vacation.

Due to the excessive heat this summer we have added second ac units to many of our larger cottages. The beach creates its own rust within days at the beach.

I wish you had let us know while you were here since it takes guest feedback for me to determine which beds need replacing and what we can do to improve our little cottages. Thank you for staying at Double Barr. Come see our improvements after the off season I'm sure you'll love what we have done.

Reviewed 24 July 2016

I have left several previous reviews of this property over the years and I am thoroughly impressed with managements ability to address the issues reviewers comment about on TripAdvisor. Previously, I had mentioned that the grills on the property were unusable. Their response: brand new natural gas grills that are piped in so that residents need only turn a valve to grill away. I had also mentioned the lack of storage space and chairs. Their response: new shelving and a comfortable futon (replacing the Adirondack chairs.)

The coffee pot in our room and the oven did not work correctly, but it was too hot for coffee and we managed to everything on the grills just fine.Biggest complaint would be that management is not reliably available throughout the day. They are currently renovating another property and it seems that this may be causing issues regarding time management. Several times, we witnessed people trying to check in only to find the office door locked and no one available to let them in their cabin. Fresh towels, toilet paper, trash bags, etc were also not always easily accessible due to management being out of the office.

Room Tip: If you are in Cabin 6, watch out for the bed frame in the private room. Our ankles and toes are still sore!
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Cerise G
Patsy W, General Manager at Double Barr Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2016

Thank you for staying at Double Barr Cottages. Our guests' feedback is the best way for us to know how we are doing.

We are sorry you feel we were not accessible. We are not usually off the property but just not always in the office. Most of your party was in my office or at the front palapa every morning and I exchanged towels for them myself. We do ask that guest do ask for towel exchange or other items by NOON. The standard office hours are 9-5. There were a few after hours incidents you may have witnessed such as locked out and a maintenance issue- these guest called and we were quickly on property helping them. We love seeing our guest enjoy the property and all it has to offer.

See you next year!