“Crunch Potato & Egg Breakfast Taco”
Review of Taco Cabana

Cost: $5.48

Service: C-
Food: D-
Overall Rating: D+

For those living in the Austin, Texas area you are well aware that many Taco Cabana locations are no longer open 24 hours. We are down to a few locations here and there, mostly located off I-35, that are open after 12am. This location that I am reviewing happens to be one of them and is a 10 minute drive from my location.

I sincerely love eating breakfast tacos late at night from time to time. One would think that ordering a potato/egg breakfast taco combo would be a great late night meal. Not too hard for any skilled cook to prepare, right? Sadly that's not the case my friends.

Let me give a detailed account of my breakfast taco contents. Both the potato and tortilla were lukewarm. The eggs lacked flavor, but they were cooked well. As for the potato, they were overcooked and very crunchy. It came to the point that I had to pretty much remove all the overcooked potato in order to "enjoy" my potato/egg breakfast taco.

I do not understand why some Taco Cabana locations insist on cooking the egg and potato separately. I guess for "convenience" on their behalf so they can use the egg with any order combination, but this often results in overcooked potatoes. I've noticed that locations that cook both items together usually result in a better experience for the customer because the egg and potato were cooked together.

Food: I rated the food a D- because the bean/cheese breakfast taco was okay. I could not give this location a higher rating because 2/3 of my order (potato/egg tacos) were not cooked well.

Service: Don't expect any "hello" or "thank you for your visit" when driving up to the window. My observation is that the staff is so closely knit that they don't care much about customer interactions. If they gave their customers the same sort of smiles/laughs that they share amongst themselves maybe we'd drive away feeling like our business was appreciated.

Having said that, the person that took my order had accuracy and included all my items. So a C- feels like an appropriate rating given that I was not greeted nor thanked at the window. That's basis drive thru etiquette that every person tending to a drive thru window should be trained on.

Reviewed 27 April 2017 via mobile

I really hate to be this negative but I also hate contributing to a poorly managed eatery. This is not the first time I've noticed but this morning the first pot of coffee wasn't even lukewarm, the cup dispenser and condiment bar looked like it needed a very good cleaning. One staff member was cleaning it as I went to get items. However, this entire facility should be spic and span. We ate there at about 8:30 in the morning so things should have already been cleaned. In addition, the outside grounds had napkins, cups, etc. strewn about. Should management wish to see how a restaurant should be kept clean, check out Rosas Cafe and Tortilla Factory in Round Rock or any Buccees stores. Food was mediocre at best.

Reviewed 13 April 2016

While staying at the Comfort Suites, we started our morning at this location both days. All was great. The owner/manager was even there one of the mornings and involved with his customers.

Reviewed 28 October 2015

Always quick and order is always correct. They do charge extra for anything else on a taco other than eggs so heads up. Patio is facing parking lot but it's always busy.

Reviewed 26 September 2015 via mobile

Stopped by Friday night after a long road trip to grab a quick bite. As we walked in to order there was a sign that said a 30 minute wait for all food?? When I ask about why since they only had a few guest in the dinning room the man at the register said it was past time for him to be off and that when he left that it would take a long time for out food?? I have never heard of anything like this before. Is this there attempt to get people to just leave rather than wait on them?? Never have any issues with the cabanas in dallas but seem to always have something with this one. Get your act together! Plenty of places to get a taco in central Texas!!