“Children's Museum needs Updating”

Museum of the Southwest
Ranked #7 of 26 things to do in Midland
Reviewed 24 May 2017 via mobile

We have been coming to this children's museum for 10 years and I am sad to see how much it has deteriorated. Not even basic maintenance is done- today when we were here, I had to point out to the staff that numerous light bulbs were burned out, making the child play areas dark and unsafe. I mean, how hard is it to change a light bulb?? In my opinion the upstairs needs to be re-done too. I know they rely on donors so I hope they do a campaign soon to update the place.

1  Thank Emilyanne38
"tx"
"astronomy"
"admission"

Reviewed 1 May 2017

This museum is partly housed in a new building and partly housed in the Turner Mansion. I was disappointed we could not go upstairs in the mansion because it is used for offices. That’s one of the reasons I wanted to visit. But the museum is reasonably priced and the day we went they had a James Gill American Pop exhibit that was wonderful. There is a children’s museum on site, but we didn’t visit that. The Kentucky Derby room is interesting (with stories of the two Derby winner horses owned by the family) and another room has displays and photos about the Turner family. The mansion is beautiful and again I’m disappointed visitors aren’t allowed upstairs. It took us about 45 minutes to go through.

Reviewed 30 April 2017

While spending the weekend in Odessa Texas we stopped by the Museum of the Southwest in Midland TX. The day we went was International Astronomy Day so admission was free. This was initially the mansion of the Turner family from Midland, Oil and Horse breeding royalty. The museum is full of an excellent selection of high quality art and historical information of Midland and the Turner family. If you are a horse enthusiast you would be interested in the two Kentucky Derby winners that the family owned as well as the trophies and honers that these horses received...

Reviewed 4 March 2017

This is a museum of many different items. It changes all the time. They have wonderful art and Christmas display during the holidays. If you have not been to the Museum of the Southwest, you need t go.