1,915 results
All reviewskrystal restaurantsand dunesresident bandsea viewhouse bandevening mealhotel directorpool restaurantwaiter servicelovely hotelolder guestshead waiterquality hotelplenty of sunbedshalf boardpool areas areevery member of staff
Reviewed 4 August 2018

First up ... solid wifi throughout the hotel covering rooms, balconies, the entire pool area and the restaurant (although the last one was out of bounds for my lot). 4 devices can be registered per room and the kids tell me that streaming YouTube and Netflix was fine. I had no problem monitoring home CCTV, synchronising holiday photos and streaming Spotify.

Secondly ... no kids club and no OTT kid-friendly pandering ... which for my family is fantastic as it means most of the usual OPK issues are non-existent. That's a massive plus as your family gets older and you don't want to look after someone else's kids whilst they relax.

Loved the idea of being allocated a set table for evening dining at set "sittings" as it made everything more relaxed and reduced the probability of erroneous drinks bills appearing on our room at the end of the holiday (something we've encountered at two nearby hotels). Food choice and quality is good - slightly better than the Lopesan and Princess hotels we've stayed at in the same area, although none are bad. The buffet was so good we didn't bother with the free Krystal a-la-carte restaurant although it looked good and the menus were interesting.

Elsewhere ... plenty of sun loungers even at 11am (we never do the ridiculous 6am mad towel dash) and attentive staff all day long. Prices seem reasonable to me although we tended to bring drinks in from the local supermarket (just outside). The quality of the lunchtime bar food was much better than expected. The mini burgers (aka sliders in the UK), deep fried brie, calamari, chicken satay and ham/cheese toasties all come recommended. The staff automatically assume everything will be charged to your room but they're still very courteous and attentive even though the chances of an immediate tip are reduced.

The location overlooking the dunes is stunning. We had a couple of day time walks over them to Meloneras and Playa del Ingles but were much more excited by late night walks when the sand was cooler and the stars were out.

We didn't bother with evening entertainment in the hotel but it seemed OK as we passed through.

There's a small gym which is good enough to keep on top of the extra calories from breakfast and dinner. It has a reasonable treadmill, stepper/cross-trainer, abs machine, bench press, pull down, bikes etc but just one of each. It was virtually empty when we were there but we found it useful and it has chilled water and extra towels.

If you're after something a bit more exhilarating on the exercise front, I'd recommend a 10 min walk over to Free Motion bike rentals in Playa del Ingles. They stock quality gear at reasonable prices (€15 for a Cannondale CX3) and provide locks, pumps, spare inner-tubes etc in the price.

Rooms were comfortable and as others say, the decor overall seemed a little dated but don't confuse this with the hotel being shabby. The condition of everything was excellent ... we've stayed in more modern hotels which have been showing wear and tear after only a couple of years.

On day two I asked for an iron and ironing board which were provided in minutes and were left with us through to the end of the week at no extra cost.

Both our rooms had rear facing balconies which were secluded but had good furniture to relax on. The minibars in the rooms are half empty and it's easy enough to rearrange things to free up half the fridge for your own stuff.

On a (very) personal note, I really enjoyed the fact that most of the other guests were German, Dutch or French. Yes, they're not very good at queuing in the restaurant but overall the atmosphere was much more relaxed than I'm used to on British package tours.

Checkout is 11am but our transfer wasn't until 17:20 but we were given a room to change and shower in at no extra cost (kind of balanced out the €22 for the safe!)

It's worth noting that this review is heavily based on price. We booked 10 days before departure with TUI and paid roughly £2600 (inc flights) for 2 adults and two older teenagers in two rooms for a week. That's getting on for half the price of similar "4 star" hotels in the area when I'd looked earlier in the year.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank Jon T
Reviewed 3 August 2018

Booked through Tui, hotel as featured- traditional style, but all mod cons.
2 pools, plenty of cushioned sun beds, towels provided. Grounds and garden areas well maintained, staff couldn’t be more helpful & friendly. Room cool, spacious, & cleaned daily.
Food good, lots of choice. This is a fairly quiet hotel, good evening entertainment, but nothing specifically aimed at children, although those who are here seem to be happy in the pool.
Slight negatives: had to pay 22€ per room for a safe, drinks & poolside snacks pricey, the restaurant is inside- no outside dining. No tea/ coffee making facilities in room.
Outside of the hotel- not a lot- more hotels, a little supermarket. Up the road there are a few cafes and a shopping precinct.
Taxis outside for local trips, didn’t try buses.
The dunes are great, the walk from the hotel to the sea takes about 25 mins. The beach here is quiet, with just a little hut selling drinks & snacks. Further along at Playa del Ingles the beach is crowded, lively, with lots of tourist shops and restaurants behind.
All in all, we’ve had a lovely week, I’d stay in a Rieu hotel again.

Stayed: July 2018
1  Thank laurenanddogs
Reviewed 30 July 2018

Booked this hotel through TUI in London and needless to say, their customer service is absolutely horrible!
Most of the recent reviews are pretty much the same, but I cannot stress enough how this hotel IS NOT FOR YOUNG CHILDREN! Unless you are looking for a total relax time and wish to recharge your batteries, this place is not for you
We were four adults and a 4yo and the reason I booked it, its because we were travelling with my 85yo mother. However, to my surprise, even my mother was bored!! Too quiet she said! I need some action!
The hotel is nice, staff was pleasant and helpful and the food selection/quality was also good. I honestly cannot complain, but the hotel clearly caters to the grey, empty nest and gay market. Nothing wrong there., but if you like to listen to music, splash in the pool with your little one and enjoy a more lively evening entertainment, this may not be the place for you. For for those travelling on the late flights back home and booking through TUI, please note that the Hotel offers dinner on a discounted rate. We were informed by TUI that dinner was inclusive, although the check out was 11am, but thats not true. You do have to pay for it ( our flight was the 23:05 back to Gatwick).

Room Tip: We were on the back of the hotel, overlooking the dunes, and it was really quite.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2018 via mobile

We arrived last week for our weeks family holiday, to be welcomed by the lovely reception team who made the check in appear seamless. The staff in the resteraunt didn’t stop for a minute they were attentive to every need and went the extra mile to really make you feel appriciated as a guest. Enrique made our dinning experiences each evening enjoyable and was excellent at making the nine year old eat her dinner. All staff at the hotel went the extra mile to make sure we had everything we need and never made a fuss about it. The hotel is spotless clean and really is gorgeous. I cannot find a single fault to make about the hotel or the staff. Wonderful stay :)

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank esme18239
Reviewed 26 July 2018 via mobile

We have just had a wonderful two weeks at this lovely hotel. We have been many times and it is like going home. The staff are all amazing, so friendly and helpful and genuinely pleased to see us. The food is outstanding. A huge choice of all different sorts of dishes. The duck and roast beef are particularly delicious.
The only negative is the entertainment. The shows are not as good as they used to be and their regular house band ‘Azzaro’ are absolute rubbish. Really dated and they cannot sing!!!
One part of the hotel that I would definitely recommend is the Wellness centre. I had trouble with my shoulder and had several massages which helped enormously. Dania and her team are really lovely.
We are looking forward to going back in a couple of months time, can’t wait

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family