2,262 results
All reviews self catering half board reception staff main pool kids club every night rooftop pool hotel is spotless port aventura theme park chocolate fountain smaller pool family holiday min walk evening meal mini club baby pool
Reviewed 14 September 2018 via mobile

We spent two weeks in the Dorada palace over the summer holidays, I chose this hotel based on the excellent reviews however we were sadly disappointed. The hotel is dated and could do with some upgrades.

The good points......

The hotel is immaculate, the cleaning staff work really hard to keep everything spotless and are a credit to the hotel.
The pool areas are nice and we always managed to find a sunbed.
The room was a good size with a large balcony, however ours parents room was tiny.

The bad points....

On arrival the hotel was extremely hot in the foyer, lifts and corridors.
Air conditioning in the room was pretty much non existent, I mentioned to reception and they said they had problems with it. This was never rectified.
The staff didn’t look like they particularly enjoyed their jobs.
The restaurant averaged a temperature of 26 degrees and around 57% humidity(according to their own thermometer on the wall)
Restaurant staff barge into you with their trolleys, one even shoved my 4 year old son out the way.
If you don’t order a drink with your evening meal the staff give you dirty looks then throw a receipt with 0.00 on.
The hotel entrance is on a slope ( not mentioned on Jet2 website) this was ok for us but our elderly parents struggled.
The fridge in the room was warm, again we mentioned this to reception.
The food was average, we had undercooked lamb shank, and pink pork on a few occasions.
Our elderly parents had upset stomachs.
And finally the restaurant and pool areas were full of people coughing, along with us as we went away healthy and all ended up with colds.
The entertainment and kids disco was very much aimed at the Spanish guests rather than at all nationalities.

The hotel is in a good location, not far from local shops and bars and about a 15 min walk to the beach depending on pace. Close to port adventura, and there is loads to do in salou itself. We really enjoyed being in Salou but would not return to this hotel.

3  Thank Wilde32
DoradaPalaceHotel, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel-Aparthotel Dorada Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Mr Wilde32,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor, we take note about all your comments (good ones and bad ones) and will inform the managers in each mentioned department.

Regarding the air conditioning, there was only one day when there was a punctual problem with the air conditioning that was solved by the specialized technicians on the same day.

In reference to the temperature in the restaurant, the information you mention complies with the temperature and humidity ranges established by Spanish law for spaces like this one.

We regret that, despite you have enjoyed your holidays with us, you won't return to Dorada Palace. Thank you for having chosen us this year.

Reviewed 12 September 2018 via mobile

Fabulous holiday enjoyed by my family, can not fault the hotel staff. Always smiling and willing to help, special mention to Jorge (animation team) who befriended my son Joshua (he called him his brother) and made his week by giving him a certificate at the end. Food is good, staff are great. Swimming pool is fabulous again with helpful staff for disabled guests. Never seen a lift into the pool, life guard always happy to help each time (jumping in to aid the guests).
Also helped with getting us to the airport when private transfer didn’t turn up
Many thanks
The Thomas family

2  Thank James T

Dear Thomas family,

Thank you to you for trusting us as your hotel in Salou for your family holidays.
And thank you for your sharing this kind words on Tripadvisor, it's fantastic to know that our customers had enjoyed a very nice stay with us.
We send your congratulations to our staff.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you again.

Reviewed 5 September 2018

Where do I start. I went away with a fairly large party with adults and young children. We arrived at the hotel around half nine at night. We were all quiet pleased with how the hotel looked from the outside and we could hear the music coming from the pool bar as the evening entertainment had started. We then had to queue for half an hour to check in when we did get to the desk we were greeted by a young girl who spoke next to no English which made the hole process a lot longer than it needed to be. We had asked for ground floor rooms when we booked as there was very young children in the party and the hotel did just that and provided us ground floor rooms facing on the road. But it was separated by a wall and garden area so I can’t complain with that.

ROOMS
The room I got was very spacious and spotless no dusty dirt or bugs they had left extra pillows and blankets in the wardrobe witch you will need as the aircon works brilliantly as well. We had been given a room with two single beds i just moved them together and went about it the maids left them that way and just made them as king so not to bad. Large balcony as well.
This were things started to go downhill for me in the bedroom on the first night we went for dinner i forgot the green card that gets you into the restaurant so I went back to the room only to find a note from reception. I took it to the desk only to be told that I had been caught smoking on the balcony and that it was not allowed. I asked was he being serious as I have never heard a rule like it in my life the receptionist frowned and said yes no smoking. MADNESS.
The rooms are clean but in my eyes very outdated for a 4* hotel very old looking veneer and old blue sofas and accessories. The Mattresses are also extremely hard and uncomfortable not 4*

Dinning
The food is an average sort of affair. They have plenty of verity and some of it is very nice some of it not so much. They rotate the menu very well so it doesn’t feel like you are eating the same meal every day.
Personally i avoided Breakfast the bacon was Spanish style (i know I’m in Spain) but it never looked right or appealing the eggs were always under or over done. The breads are normally quiet stale and the milk warm or room temp all of this led me to avoiding the breakfast 4 out of the 7 days they did sausages but even the day they did British sausage they were poor and clearly cheap allot of food seemed more for the large number of Spanish guest that stay in the hotel .
Lunch And Dinner was normally ok you got the normal chips and pasta but again very much catered for the Spanish guests of the hotel the kids selection was always very poor and never anything my child would jump to eat and she is far from fussy with her food in fact one of our party had to go out after dinner to get their wee boy food. Most of the food available is of low quality some of the food was nice but it was never overly consistent. I did enjoy dinners and but it could be improved upon. They do a lot of fish which is fine with me but not to everyone’s taste. Also the food was normally only look warm never hot and you will expect a bit of a wait to get a table again the staff didn’t speak allot of English and constantly took us to the a small table when we had 7 people and 2 prams. Thankfully Phillip who is English sorted it out nearly every time so thank you.

The pool area is a war zone with so many rules and stipulations that only apply if you come from anywhere but Spain. First of all the old sun bed row. Yes people do revere sun beds and never use them which is annoying we got lucky as nobody ever wanted the ones we liked as their was no cover but they were right beside the park and baby pool. Come midday it is manic with all the walkways covered by sun beds and a nightmare for us with prams. To try and battle past. The next one is the lifeguard only one in particular I don’t know his name but he walked around that pool like he was god with a blonde tuft of hair. Now experienced this and witnessed it daily with this lifeguard making his own rules and only applying them to British and Irish guests. He would tell off children for having toys in the baby pool at one point telling a toddler that he wasn’t allowed a 2 inch foam basket ball in the pool also not allowing any other form of toy or inflatable in the baby pool while the Spanish children were left to run riot. One of are party was told off for having a vest top on in the baby pool a toddler with a skin condition but he was having none of it as he was telling us off for the vest top he neglected to tell the Spanish guest that was hanging their completely naked child into the pool. How is that correct also he was standing their while another guest let their child use the bush as a toilet insane. This continues on to the main pool were no toys balls or anything or the sort are allowed you will get told off for jumping in the pool but only if you’re not Spanish again I witnessed this and was on the end of a tongue lashing while other guests jumped in around me.

Hotel location
Is fantastic has a fairly long hill to the main door so I would recommend looking elsewhere if you aren’t to steady on your feet. Only a couple of mins walk to the closest supermarket and shopping area avoid the small supermarket on the right just after the main road as there is a proper one just down from it at half the price 10 mins will take you to the beach and 15 to 20 mins to portaventura.
All in all the hotel is ok far from what I would say is 4 star but not to bad have a nice private adult pool on the roof and washing and drying facilities down stairs along with a shower and luggage storage. Again we struggled at parts as a lot of the staffs English isn’t the best and asked for a late check out i was told you can do it in the morning only to try and arrange it to be told that it was not possible as the room was already booked the evening entertainment is again more for the Spanish guests I think they could really improve the quality of allot of peoples experience by bring a bit more a welcoming attitude and atmosphere for the British guests or at least some staff that can speak English to help out the staff that don’t. To be honest I don’t think i would return only for the this

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
4  Thank ahall92

Dear customer,

First of all thank you for having taken your time to share your experience at Dorada Palace Hotel-Aparthotel.
From the quality department we really appreciate all our customers reviews to take note about either the positives and negatives comments and about the improving suggestions.

We have spoken about your review with the lifeguard team. We and they apologize if they ever made you feel bad, it was not the intention of them at all. Regarding the vest top, or all the clothes or hats, to get into the water should be of polyamide, polyester, lycra or neoprene, it can have cotton or any other material. You're right that a toddler without a swimsuit or a water diaper can not enter the pool.

Regarding the Spanish non-smoking law, it say that smoking is not allowed inside the establishment, and the terrace it's part of the room.

We regret that you won't come back to our hotel. We are an international hotel and all nationalities are welcome for us always (British, French, Spanish, German, Russian, Belgium, Italian, Portuguese, Irish, etc etc).

Thank you for having chosen us for your holidays in Salou.

Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for a week with my family food was ok staff wernt very friendly didnt really feel that welcome,the beds are awful feels like your laying on the floor the rooms are very outdated and also Felt like we were being picked on by the life guard with the blonde streak in his hair (never got his name) told my 2 year old son of for having a small football in the pool & the just kept bothering us any other chance he got the whole week then our last day he keep telling me i had to take my sons vest top off while he was in the pool but couldnt tell me why everytime i asked why it had to be removed he just spoke in spanish and walked away.

6  Thank Decky M
DoradaPalaceHotel, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel-Aparthotel Dorada Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2018

Dear Decky M,

Thank you for sharing your review on TripAdvisor.

We regret that your experience with us didn't reach your expectations. All the feedback from our customers is very important for us.
We take note about your comments and will inform the staff . We have spoken with our lifeguard staff remmember them to send to reception the customers with whom they can not communicate in their language , sorry for the inconvenience.

Regarding the top vest, it isn't possible to get into the swimming pools with clothes or accessories that are not made of material suitable for bathing, since cotton or any other material that is not polyester, polyamide, lycra or neoprene, is not possible to bath in the pools for safety because it can affect the chemical composition of the water.

Thank you for having choosen us for your family holidays in Salou.

Reviewed 28 August 2018

A lovely hotel, clean rooms although not much space in our room for the 4 of us.
Dining experience was ok, we found the tables a bit small and when plates weren’t cleared away quick enough didn’t leave much room. Staff in dinner hall rushed off their feet could have done with a few more to help out in peak season. One female member of staff told us that our young boys weren’t allowed their juice cups in for lunch yet we had took them in everyday for a week without issue and when they will only drink dilute pop I don’t see this as a problem, we were still buying our drinks, she walked of muttering in Spanish and rudely pointed to us when speaking to another member of staff.
Generally food was good plenty of choice and hot, only missing proper bacon and sausage at breakfast time .... hot dog sausage and what appeared to be spam was offered.
The swimming pool is my only let down with this hotel, firstly the pool doesn’t open till 9am which I think is late and the queue for beds starts at 8am and queue goes out the door by 8.30am....the rush then starts and most people dump towels at 9am and leave their beds empty for the morning..... I don’t know why the pool doesn’t open at 8am and make a rule when the life guards start at 9am they collect all towels off beds for those not using them then, this allows fair use of the beds for those that actually want to be by the pool first thing and stops the unsightly queue in reception every morning.
Day time entertainment was good, evening time needs better shows, more professional acts and singers.
We did a day trip to baracelona train station 10mins away from the hotel, a family of 4 day ticket was 63 Euro and very easy to do, Barcelona was lovely and they have an excellent underground system to get around on.
Overall a good hotel and we would return

Stayed: August 2018
3  Thank Alison D
DoradaPalaceHotel, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel-Aparthotel Dorada Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2018

Dear Mrs Alison D,

First of all thank you for having chosen us for your holidays in Salou and for recommend us on TripAdvisor.
We are happy to know that you would like to return.
We really appreciate all your comments , positives and negatives, and your suggestions for improving, and will inform our staff about them.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you again in a near future.
Our best regards,