“So much info on barbed wire”

Devil's Rope and Route 66 Museum
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in McLean
More attraction details
Owner description: Museum dedicated to showing the story of the West through barbed wire, cattle brands and route 66 memorabilia.
Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

This little, free, step back in time is a real eye opener for anyone who has even the smallest question or interest in barbed wire. There are fences, cowboys, wars, tools, pieces of art, medicines....and even a Route 66 room. We thought it would take about 30 - 40 minutes to go through the museum...we were there nearly 2 hours!
After the museum, go around the corner for another local collection and then drive down a few blocks to see the original Phillips 66 gas station, right on Route 66.

Reviewed 30 August 2017

My husband wanted to go here, and I did not. I was glad we did though. The museum has not only the various wires throughout history, but everything associated with the wire such as implements and wire makers. The museum is free making it even nicer.

Reviewed 28 August 2017

Unexpected...authentic....a real treat!!!! I was on a Route 66 adventure. Ducking off the interstate as much as possible to drive the old road. It was the faded old bill board that called to my soul. The over grown signage left me to think all that would be left is a shell of a building and a few weeds. Devil's Rope? Curiosity and a nose for the strange and amusing guided me to one of the most authentic stops on my 2500 mile adventure. I was unprepared for what I saw.
The museum has three sections: Route 66,Dust Bowl,and Barbed wire. The Barbed wire room is large very expertly organised. I knew scant little of the scope of the history of ranching and wire. Boy Howdy I do now! This museum comes with a free warning about Tetanus. Truly breath taking was the amount of tools and wire bending machines. You don't have to know or even care to enjoy this museum. You will not regret it if you decide to stop. I could have spent more time here. Instead I plan to visit again in the future.
Anita Day was very helpful,pleasant,and knowledgeable about the history of the town and other attractions in the near by region. If you decide not to visit you will regret it!

Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

A good place to stretch your legs along Route 66. There was a very nice woman inside who had a lot of knowledge about the history of Route 66 and barbed wire. We bought a piece of the road to always remember the trip. As a bonus, admission is free.

Reviewed 2 August 2017

We stopped here as it was on our list of places to see on Rt 66. We were a bit disappointed in the amount of the museum that is actually about Rt 66. But you have to appreciate all the other displays they have in the rope & barbed wire areas....I learned more than I ever thought i would want to know. It is very fitting for the area & its history. If you are only looking for Rt 66 you can probably be in & out in 10 minutes.