““Pretty good”, and “Not so good””
Review of Bill Smith's Cafe

Bill Smith's Cafe
Ranked #33 of 325 Restaurants in McKinney
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I had a very good PaPa Smith’s Breakfast - 2 eggs, bacon and 2 very large pancakes (the kind of breakfast that can’t be messed up), while spouse had the $6.95 lunch special - chicken fried steak, greens, beans, fries and a roll. This was at noon, yet some of her food wasn’t hot, and the rest wasn’t even warm. She wasn’t happy, but tolerated i since we were with another couple.

This won’t keep us from going back, but she might not go for anything on the lunch special menu.

Service was excellent! Largish parking lot on the side of the building, with spacious indoor seating.

They’ve been in business since 1956, serving breakfast and lunch, and they close at 2pm.

Reviewed 25 March 2018

If you are looking for an authentic diner style dining experience, Bill Smith's Cafe is the place to go. My husband and I live local and this is one of our favorite breakfast spots. We've been going there for over 25 years and it hasn't changed a bit from the first time we stepped inside. We went again last weekend so I wanted to share our experience with you. This place is a laid back but a busy place. You find our own table when you walk in which can be difficult when they are full, but they have added more seating over the years to accommodate their customers. We've never had to wait, you just squeeze past the scurrying waitress and bus-boys until you find an empty table. We are always quickly and politely greeted and drinks are brought promptly. The service has always been great for us. They still say things like ma'am and sir, please and thank you. It is definitely southern hospitality at it's finest. The atmosphere is nostalgic which is nice as cars race up and down hwy 380. You can slow down a little in this place. I have not had everything on their menu, but everything I've had has been wonderful. It's home cooked, southern style cuisine (aka comfort food) at it's finest. Everything is made from scratch!! It's also very reasonably priced. As a comparison, there is a "big chain" breakfast restaurant just up the road and our total at Bill Smiths Cafe is usually about $10 to $12 less than that place where we always have to wait, have poor service and the food isn't nearly as good. Bill Smiths is by far our favorite for breakfast in McKinney!!

Reviewed 28 January 2018 via mobile

Old style dining with good ole favorites like grandma use to make!!!!! My grandson loved the chocolate chip Mickey Mouse shaped pancakes, doesn’t use syrup on them!

I eat here every time I visit my daughter. It’s become my go to place!

Reviewed 19 December 2017

My wife and I have been going to Bill Smith's for several years but our last time was exactly that. Our last time. The service was fast, the wait staff friendly, but the breakfast was terrible.
Everything was cold, the eggs, the ham, the hash browns, the gravy. All cold.
My biscuits and gravy were delivered on a small paper lined mesh basket. It was impossible to eat the biscuits and gravy in that thing and my plate was small and had no room for biscuits and gravy. My eggs that I ordered over medium were more like over easy and my wife's eggs that were ordered over easy were medium. They only take cash and we knew that so we had cash. They have an ATM machine for those that don't have cash. What a racket. They make money off the ATM machine and don't have to pay credit card fees. I saw a lady writing a check for her meal. I thought it was cash or only. I guess it's really cash or check only. Checks can bounce, credit cards don't.
Should have gone to Starwood Café or IHOP.

Reviewed 11 October 2017

This place is a McKinney landmark. Cheap eats and good grub. A must stop for breakfast if youre visiting McKinney or live local.