“A jump back into the past”

and 1 more site!
The Excelsior House
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Jefferson
Reviewed 14 March 2017

The town of Jefferson was everything I imagined from the pictures. From the antique stores, to the general store, hotels, and restaurants. Quiet, quaint, and wonderful getaway with that tad bit of excitement from the ghost stories and history. Our first night was at the The Excelsior House in the "Jay Gould" room. I love the charm of the hotel and how it has that untouched feeling. A step back into the past! The room had that slight old smell (not over bearing as other posts mention) and the dark look but that was what I was wanting to creep me out. It added to the ambiance to the tales of ghosts. The furniture pieces, size of the room, and feel was beautiful. This is how luxury would feel back in the late 1800's. This is the feeling I wanted. Love it! The wood frames of the beds and armoire were gorgeous. The beds were okay. Soft, clean sheets and pillows and clean bathroom. Can't ask for more from me. The only reason I didn't give a 5 star is the internet is spotty. It was hard to watch a spooky movie from my Netflix account. The staff was friendly and attentive. The hotel is like a little museum so take some time to visit the parlor and read about the history there. WARNING: because this is an old building the floors can be uneven in certain spots. If you have vertigo be warned! Mine was off the chain but I still had a great time. They only ghostly thing (and I like to dismiss a lot of things) was I was awaken in the middle of the night by what sounded like a candy wrapper being opened near my side of the bed.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mary C

Reviewed 11 March 2017 via mobile

This is a lovely hotel in Jefferson. The staff is friendly and close to all the great sites to see. Our room was beautiful with a wonderful bathroom. The bed was not very comfortable . The courtyard was beautiful and allowed us to enjoy the beautiful night by the fountain.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2017 via mobile

This hotel is a gem! My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary weekend. We stayed here because we like staying in historic haunted places. The night was uneventful except for both of us being awakened at the same time by the sound of a hospital gurney?/cart with wheels? going down the hall at 2:30am... but, there are no gurneys and the halls are heavily padded and carpeted so it would be impossible to hear the thump ka-thump of wheels on a bare floor...
Whatever it was it added an element of surprise and fun to our stay.
The best part is that this hotel and property is beautifully maintained and period decorated.

Stayed: February 2017
1  Thank MarkandMarie F
Reviewed 17 February 2017 via mobile

This hotel has amazing breakfast! To walk through this hotel at night since Jefferson is haunted, will give you good chills. The history that surrounds this hotel is amazing. The travelers from years past are even more amazing that you feel the part. The rooms are very comfortable and the accommodations are exceptional. I will definitely stay here again with my kids.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2017

This hotel was very comfy and vintage. The staff was very friendly and informational. The beds were comfortable too. We stayed early Dec before the crowd came in for the Christmas train activities. The only thing I did not like were the nightly trains that go through there all night long blowing their horns and then the local church bells at 5am only because it was a Sunday. The only other thing was that someone tried to break into our car, they chipped the glass trying and it was parked right in front of the hotel. The hotel does not have security cameras either. We reported it to the hotel manager and they said that has never happened. It may have been our vehicle, it was a 2007 black corvette. Just be careful and lock your cars.

Room Tip: lower floor if you are disabled