“Back to the Future”

Uptown Vintage in the Avenues
Reviewed 28 September 2016

Located just a few steps away from the main square of antique row in historical downtown Huntsville, this district is full of character and merchant fancies. It is next door to Leadbelly Elevator (which I thought was an elevator company and did not get the opportunity to visit, darn!) and is nostalgic in attitude. My eagle eyes were somehow drawn over to this slightly off the beaten path spot which resounded a clever calling to come hither. When I arrived at Uptown Vintage, I quickly glanced in the storefront display window and was immediately drawn to a stack of bright yellow Borden milk crates. I walked in and was surprised to find a chef pig butler similar to the one I have in my own kitchen. Immediately I felt right at home. I was charmed by a vintage Santa Claus sitting in a chair that I could image sitting under a tree with the red and green liquid filled bubble Christmas lights from the 60's that looked like something out of "Lost in Space". Think Rocket Fizz and you will understand that time of sea-foam green milk glass, vintage Coca Cola, 78 rpm records, Tupperware parties, and cherry printed tablecloths. Oh and remember those tall frosted glasses hand painted with Hawaiian palm trees, a set of four and each individual one had it's own brilliant color scheme yet they all shared the same design? This place really seems to thrive in that era of June Cleaver and PTA moms out shopping for bake sale dishes. When I arrived back to the front area there where some antique photographs in big gilded ornate frames all bunched together in one spot. I noticed that one had looked like Lizzie Borden and had a hole that appeared to be burned into the dead space area of the photograph added a creepy Goth effect. Then I thought about the bright yellow Borden milk crates and chuckled in sinister grin. I found a hobnail milk glass top hat toothpick holder that looks like it belongs to Mr. Hamburger. I don't know, somehow the tooth pick theme seemed to go along with the pick ax theme here. Perhaps Karla Faye Tucker and Lizzie Borden are dancing in the streets of the Huntsville playground and had guided me there for a little frightfully delightful, yet harmless fun! All and all, I can say my trip to Huntsville was quite a remarkable experience.

Peggy S, Owner at Uptown Vintage in the Avenues, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2017

Thank you for the wonderful review. We have moved to 1900 Normal Park Dr. So if you return please don't think we have closed ...just moved across town!