“Motel upgrade”

Rodeway Inn Houston
Ranked #379 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 9 January 2017 via mobile

We were at a Ramada close by and we liked it for the first time. I went back on priceline to book additional four nights. Priceline stated that I am booking in the same area with the same level quality hotel. Paid for it and off we go in the evening. Priceline said that we booked for two guests. The Rodeway inn said no and that we need to pay extra. I said find since it is getting late and there is no refund. The gentleman behind the counter was so nice by the way. Since it was so cold, I put the heat on high but the door was kind of crooked and signs of prior forced entry. As a result the room is not insulated. Then in the morning I realized there is and inch a half hole in the wall. The second bed had small pillows one third the size of regular hotel pillows. The chairs needed some paint for sure and the table needs some nails as it was rocking back and forth. The mattresses were the cheap kind and would slide everytime I bumped into them with my knees.
Let's talk about the breakfast, it was included but guess what? Orange juice was instant. There was only white bread and when we asked for extra, the front desk asked how many do we need. He pit out exactly what we asked for. There was butter and jam, oat bran, milk, coffee and a waffle machine. Had to shove the breakfast and walked back to our room. After 3 minutes my stomach stared aching badly and I am sure it was the instant orange juice. I decided not to have breakfast here anymore and Since we have three paid nights that are non-refundable, we might just book an other hotel. Life is too short and at my age, I can't afford to be unhappy.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 November 2016

A's others have mentioned, this is an older property. However, they appear to be actively updating the rooms. Our room was a recently updated one, with a micro fridge and microwave. The room was clean and spacious. This motel failed my "excellent" rating, as breakfast items were minimal and non-memorable. I felt that it was "very good," due to the basic amenities provided for a budget hotel. Otherwise, it was a good experience.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 10 November 2016

Thank you for staying at our hotel and the great review. We know you have a choice as to what hotels to stay at and are glad you chose us and that your experience was good enough to leave kind words about our service.

Reviewed 19 May 2016

We stayed at the Rodeway Inn for a one nighter. The motel is pretty close to IAH so that's why we stayed in this area.
The rooms are spacious and clean, free parking, free WiFi and a couple of dinning options near by.
If you're heading to IAH I would recommend this pace.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends
Stevo S, Manager at Rodeway Inn Houston, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2016

Thank you SO MUCH for the kind words. It was our pleasure to assist you with your travel needs and we hope you'll consider Rodeway Inn if you're ever back in the Houston area.

Reviewed 3 April 2016 via mobile

Hotel cancelled our reservation then when we showed up.. Get this they blamed me. Said I cancelled the reservation, but why would we show up then? Said hotel was full and turn us away. Funny thing now they will have an empty room since it must have been someone else who cancelled. Make reservation at your own risk they will not be honored.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends
Stevo S, Manager at Rodeway Inn Houston, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2016

I am sorry there was a confusion about your reservation, but our records indicated a call from you requesting to cancel. We did do that and accepted another reservation from someone else for the same night which resulted in not having any rooms left to rent.

We do not usually follow up on cancellation requests because we've not run into this problem before. I am addressing that issue with upper management to verify all cancellations moving forward so, hopefully, this will not happen again.

Again, I'm sorry you had this experience.

Reviewed 27 December 2015

After check in we went to our room and noticed holes in the bedspread looked very old and dirty room was not clean ... Called hotels.com and they contacted the hotel directly they asked us to go to the desk and they did give us another cleaner room and the explanation that room was very different from pictures on the website the rooms are staged to show for the pictures. The second room was cleaner but still we we very disappointed in the whole situation. We have to return to Houston next week and we will be finding a different place to spend the night. We would have preferred our money back but they were not interested in doing that. Lesson learned stay away from a bargain it was too good to be true!

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
Stevo S, Manager at Rodeway Inn Houston, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2015

I'm very sorry your first room did not look like picture posted online by Choice Hotels. I stated at the time that we have little control over web content as they take pictures of each type of rooms, not ALL the rooms. Also, I was never asked to refund you as I certainly would have as I told the gentleman who had checked in.