“Great food, love the take-out service”

Carrabba's - The Original on Kirby
Ranked #84 of 8,901 Restaurants in Houston
Price range: USD 12 - USD 45
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Greenway/ Upper Kirby
Description: On December 26, 1986, The Original Carrabba's opened its doors. Today, Johnny Carrabba and his family are proud that the two original locations on Kirby Drive and Voss Road remain family owned and operated neighborhood restaurants. What makes us unique are the quality ingredients that go into each dish along with our lively and warm dining experiences. At The Original Carrabba's, we have an open kitchen and we take enormous pride in our food. Our pizza dough is made fresh every day and our pizzas are cooked in a wood-burning oven. We fillet our own fish daily, make fresh homemade pasta, and we even hand stuff our own signature Cappelletti. Even our fresh milk mozzarella is hand made. Our steaks, chops and seafood are all cooked over a wood-burning grill. Johnny's father, Mr. C. still mixes his own secret spices and makes his own Italian sausage for our restaurants. The Original Carrabba's on Kirby Drive and Voss Road is where people come together to eat, celebrate, share stories, share meals and share many laughs and memories. We look forward to you and your family joining us at our table.
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Love the food at this restaurant and we often call in large to-go orders when having company. I appreciate how they deliver the food to your car! The restaurant itself is a bit too noisy to carry on a conversation unless you go for a late lunch or early dinner. When I do eat there, the Carrabba Salad is my favorite! When ordering to-go, we usually serve their wonderful pasta dishes with nice side salad. You can't go wrong!

Reviewed 2 September 2018 via mobile

Had dinner here tonight. Can’t complain about the food but it’s just become a factory where there is not a relaxing dinner to be had. And the $14 “Specialty Cocktails” had NO punch to them at all. Didn’t feel a thing. I would give the food three stars and the drinks one star (zero isn’t an option) so two stars is the result.

Too many people, too loud, very impersonal rushed service. The approach seems to be to get the people in and out, and don’t put any alcohol in the drinks. Turn tables is the mantra.

There are many many Italian restaurants in Houston where the food is comparable and the experience is much better. We have been coming here since the late 80’s but tonight might be the last time.

Loren A, Public Relations Manager at Carrabba's - The Original on Kirby, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review and give us your feedback. Please private message us a phone number if our Managing Partner may get in touch with you. You may also email us at info@carrabbasoriginal.com.
Thank you.

Reviewed 27 July 2018

A CFO invited me for lunch, and we wanted to eat light, but enjoyably. So, after drinks, she had a wonderful seafood salad, and I had the pasta bolognese: both were generous in portion size and delightfully prepared.
However, a delightful young man from the wait staff took care of us in marvelous fashion! He was young, enthusiastic, with JUST THE RIGHT DASH OF CONVERSATIONAL CHIT-CHAT. My CFO friend and I enjoyed his attentiveness AND the pride of his immigrant parents! We enjoyed his extra efforts and the food!

Reviewed 16 July 2018 via mobile

We love Carrabba’s but before we even ordered our waiter spilled oil all over me. My shorts were new and ruined. He did apologize and brought a hot towel, but anywhere I have ever been they would have offered me something. My shorts are done.

Loren A, Public Relations Manager at Carrabba's - The Original on Kirby, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review. We apologize for this unfortunate experience. Please email us at info@carrabbasoriginal.com so that we can discuss this further. Thank you again for taking time to make us aware of this situation.

Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

We seek out Carrabba’s in every major city we visit. While typically excellent in both delicious food and quality service (and you $$$ for it), this one was lacking. Food portions were smaller, had to add salt and pepper to most everything. Wait staff was friendly, but did not listen to requests. Not accustomed to having to ask for anything a second time at any Carrabba ‘s. This location is simply not up to par.

1  Thank Deb S