“Saturday Late Evening Dining”
Review of Shri Balaji Bhavan

Shri Balaji Bhavan
Ranked #2,014 of 8,435 Restaurants in Houston
Price range: USD 0 - USD 20
Cuisines: Asian, Indian
Good for: Child-friendly
Description: For over 20 years, we have been serving Houston the best South Indian food this city has to offer. We strive in making the freshest and most authentic South Indian food! For the past 4 years we have made the Houston Chronicle, Alison Cook's Houston's Top 100 restaurants, and for 2016 the Houston Press named us as the best Indian restaurant in Houston, Texas. Have you had your Dosa yet? No? Don't wait, come in and dine with us today!!!
Reviewed 15 May 2017

We went there after watching movie around 9:30 pm on Saturday and it was 80% packed .Ordered food on time but food arrived almost 30 minutes late and that also one dish first and second after 5 minutes,third another five minutes. around 10 pm, they were putting up chairs on empty table like closing restaurant.

We just finished food and came out.You go to restaurant and order food and expect food at same time to all your guest so that all can enjoy dinner out side.

I think,this place is loosing and do not understand meaning of hospitality.

Management response:Responded 25 May 2017

Sagar Dip,

Thank you so much for taking the time off of your busy schedule to give us your feedback. We take every customer's feedback very serious as it gives us great insights on what we're doing right and/or wrong.

That being said, please accept my sincerely apologies for your food taking 30 minutes to arrive. After reading your review, I have had a good discussion with my kitchen staff to try to speed up the process without compromising the taste of the food. I am not sure what your order was, but there are some items that are quicker to make i.e. chaats and some rice dishes, and items like our Chole Bhature, Uttapums, Rava Dosa, etc. take a little longer to make. We honestly try our very best to get every item out all at once, but it gets a little difficult especially during busy hours. We will continue to do our best to improve on this!

Once again Sagar Dip, we thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are sincerely sorry for the delay in your order to come out. It is my promise that we will work harder to improve this.

Aakash Lulla

Reviewed 10 March 2017

My wife and I recently visited Houston to attend a family wedding between March 3-6. We went to Sri Balaji Bhavan twice. On our first visit my wife wife tried their Madras Thali. My wife enjoyed the authentic flavors of each dish as well as the chapati, rice and desert. I enjoyed the Chana Bhatura. The chana flavor was spicy and delicious. The puries were delicious, whole wheat and not at all greasy. On our second visit, my wife had the Madras Thali this time with different dishes. I tried each of the dishes and found the flavor to be delicious. I ordered Upma a breakfast dish made from semolina with dal, chashews, onions chilies, curry leaves. This upma was delicious and had a slightly dry texture. I enjoyed this version of one of my favorite South Indian dishes. We received excellent service and will both come here on our next visit to Houston and recommend it to our family and friends.

Reviewed 1 March 2017

Had two meals here and the quality was excellent. It is a self service style restaurant and very authentic Indian tase. Only mistake was when I asked for a mango lassi with no sugar, I got one tasting like pure cane sugar, while my colleague had no sugar in his tea :)

Reviewed 11 December 2016

This place is by far my favorite go-to restaurant for Dosas (Indian crepe) and Chaats. I still need to try their Thali, which I've heard wonderful things about, but right now I cannot get enough of their Dosa and Chaats. I won't give this place 5 stars however, because I feel like they need to redo this place. It looks outdated compared to other restaurants near by BUT that is not going to keep me away from this place. Definitely a must try!

Reviewed 31 October 2016 via mobile

Had a bad feeling when we saw four cooks in the kitchen fighting. We should have left. If you want to eat chat, etc., then there are better places nearby. The price was right but the quality was not. I ordered one of the lunch special, masala dosa which was not a good idea. It was too oily and the masala wasn't spread evenly.
Be aware, don't expect good food when there is discord in the kitchen.

Management response:Responded 14 November 2016

Pratim B.,

First off I would like to thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write us a review. It is our belief that regardless if the review that we receive is a positive one or a negative one, sites like TripAdvisor.com give us a good understanding on what it is we are doing right and wrong.

That being said, I am so very sorry to read that your experience at our restaurant did not meet your standard. I am so very sorry that you had to witness an argument that was taking place in our kitchen. Like every kitchen, sometimes there tends to be disagreement but our cooks should understand they should not do it when customers are present. I can assure you however, that regardless what was going on in our kitchen it had or has anything to do with the food being served. I will definitely have word with my cooks about this matter and make sure that we do not do this again.

I would like to also apologize for the food, based on what you said I have already advised my cooks on using less oil on the dosa and that we give enough masala when a masala dosa order comes in.

Pratim B., I hope that you decide to give us another opportunity to change your mind about us. If you do, please ask for me Aakash Lulla, as I would like to meet with you and offer my apologies in person.

Aakash Lulla