“Great Place!”

Cuisines: American, Cajun & Creole, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Groups
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: Family owned and operated seafood restaurant with a South Coast twist.
Reviewed 8 March 2018

We just wandered into this restaurant and we were delighted with the experience. The food was outstanding. We had grilled oysters and the crab cakes and they were both the BEST we have ever had. We sat at the bar and Christy the bartender was great. We also had the pleasure of meeting the owners. The Massa family is originally from Sicily as is my husband.They were interesting, friendly and hospitable. We highly recommend this terrific restaurant.

Date of visit: March 2018
Joseph M, Owner at Massa's South Coast Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2018

We are so glad you came in and enjoyed everything so much. Folks like you and your husband are what keeps us going and is the best thing about the business. Hope to see you next time you are in town. Thanks so much!

Reviewed 15 February 2018

This is a downtown restaurant. Owned and operated by family who visit tables and check if everything is OK for you--on a Valentine's Night!!! The food can be described as Gulf-Coast (think New Orleans-ish). Let us all remember at this point that Houston is on the Gulf Coast, so there is no room for haters on this review, OK? Service is superb, ambiance is whatever you make of it. It could be business, it could be romantic, it could be casual. I think I gave all the necessary points. The rest of this post is just for polishing to a bright shine, because I liked it so much, I am planning to return again tomorrow in spite of having big plans.
First, this was on a Valentine's night (I am on a business trip, but don't call me a loser yet without knowing the particulars). Almost all the restaurants were pulling the "we have the V Day special (spoken to the tone of ni-ni-ni-ni-ni-ni-ni-ni from the nose) where the $35 dollar fix menu magically turned into $65 dollars. My peeps know that I am not a penny pincher but I am also not the person who would pay $65 for the same menu (exact same) that was advertised for $35 on the webpage just yesterday. Now, it is not this restaurant, it is not South Coast Grill. I am telling you how it was in other places nearby. South Coast had a VD menu if you wanted to impress someone, and the regular menu if you were somebody just looking for good food. I cannot stop, I must add, they did not penalize you for NOT having the VD menu (which can happen in certain places which will remain unnamed). On to the food:
Everything tasted delicious. Bye.
No. It started with the butter. Now, why should we have top quality delicious butter in a downtown restaurant? Why? Because they care, That's why. And, that's why I am writing this.
Red Snapper was out of this world. I am going back tomorrow.
I was not a fan of red snapper.
Last word: Trip Advisor: Listen please. We need half stars, so I can give 4.5 stars to South Coast. We really need this. How hard can it be?

Date of visit: February 2018
BJMassa, Owner at Massa's South Coast Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2018

Thanks so much for getting what we do here at Massa's South Coast Grill and expressing it over social media. We do our best to ; keep it fresh, keep it Creole, keep it affordable, and keep it fun. I have been in the business for over 36 years and 19 years in this location, and I think this was the best Valentines Day ever. Not because it was the most sales we ever did, its because of customers like you who thoroughly enjoyed everything and we were able to interact with you in such a positive way. Thanks again and we hope to see you soon. Joe Massa

Reviewed 31 December 2017 via mobile

This was our first visit to Massa’s South Coast Grill and really enjoyed it. Our dinner was great, the service was excellent, and it was priced just right. We will definitely be back.

Date of visit: December 2017
Joseph M, Owner at Massa's South Coast Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2018

thanks so much for coming in, and we are so glad you enjoyed everything. Great way to start the New Year!!!

Reviewed 25 December 2017

Visited a few days before Christmas as we had a stopover in Houston.

A couple of reviews describe the service as slow - I would say that is not the case - you are not rushed and enjoy the dining experience - we certainly did.

Great wine selection - and a good menu - allowed my wife to enjoy seafood and me a good Texas steak. After a great starter and main course we were going to be good and skip dessert until Key Lime Pie was mentioned - and it was a great decision to try it - I would recommend the Key Lime Pie for sure.

Throughout our couple of days in Houston we experienced true Texas hospitality wherever we went - and this place was no exception. A really decent restaurant in a fantastic city. I hope to be back.

Date of visit: December 2017
1  Thank GB2809
Joseph M, Owner at Massa's South Coast Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2017

Thanks so much for your visit. Here at Massa's South Coast Grill we do not try to keep up with the "whats happening now restaurants" that come and go. We do change up our menu from time to time and we serve specials that are local and in season, but that is nothing new for us. It makes me happy when folks appreciate what we do here. Owner operated places like ours are not as common as they used to be. We really appreciate your business.

Reviewed 25 November 2017

Ate here while attending a business meeting in Houston. Restaurant is directly across the street from the Four Seasons Hotel where our group was meeting, which made the restaurant very convenient. Food and service was great.

Date of visit: November 2017
Joseph M, Owner at Massa's South Coast Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2017

Thanks so much! Business clientele like yourself is what keeps us in business. Hope to see you next time you are around. My name is Joseph Massa, please ask for me.