“No frills room ok, but wifi servive spotty & breakfast bad”

Super 8 Houston/Brookhollow NW
Ranked #341 of 506 Hotels in Houston
Dallas, TX
“No frills room ok, but wifi servive spotty & breakfast bad”
Reviewed 12 April 2010

I organized my review into key points so that you can just to the topic you are interested in.

Getting there & location: It is very easy to get to the hotel and to get around the area. It is conveniently located near highways and on main roads loaded with restaurants and stores. I wouldn't try to jog in this area. That was a major disappointment for me because I enjoy jogging outside and hate the treadmill.

Parking: There isn't enough parking at this hotel. The hotel is two stories and everyone is squeezed into one tiny parking lot. The overflow parking lot was behind the building. The area was fenced, but I had to wonder how safe our car was in this area. We parked there and nothing happened to our car, but we also removed everything of value from the vehicle and didn't leave anything of value (CDs) in plan sight.

Cost: The price was right at $45 for a king bed, cable and wireless for one night.

Pool: The pool was outdoor and looked filthy. I'm glad I wasn't counting on it for exercise!

Other Amenities: This truly was a no frills hotel. The wifi was spotty and hardly strong enough to even connect to on the second day. It took thirty minutes just to connect to it the first time, and I am no wifi connect novice! I couldn't keep the connection long enough to read a client email and respond immediately. It was incredibly frustrating as I still had to work while on the trip and couldn't get a reliable signal. I couldn't even pick up a signal while reclining on the bed. How frustrating! The bathroom had two tiny soaps and one bottle of shampoo, so you should probably bring your own or be prepared to ask for more if traveling with children, as well. There were only enough regular (caffeinated) coffee grounds for one cup of coffee even though it was a two-person room. There was a hair drier, but I used my own.

Noise: For the most part, the area was quiet. A car alarm went off once, but someone immediately turned it off. As the parking lot is so tiny and right in front of the rooms, people can't really avoid parking lot noise, but it really isn't bad. I slept like a rock.

Free Breakfast: This was pitiful. The breakfast consisted of four cereals and prepackaged baked goods, such as Little Debbie brownies and sweet rolls. There was a tray with white bread stacked on it and packages of flavored oatmeal. The only highlight was the additional hot coffee as the rooms lacked enough for both of us to have a cup. There was as apple juice machine, too. We went to Denny's and had Gland Slams instead.

Overall: Although the price was right for this room, I wouldn't return. I have visited plenty of no frills hotels over the last ten years and never experienced one quite so stingy.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank goodtripsarebest

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 4 December 2009

Was surprised to find a nicely tiled bathroom, clean carpet, freshly painted walls, and a desk, sofa, fridge, microwave, cable tv and a clean breakfast area (which was basic with juices, grits, oatmeal, cereal, and muffins). Decent price, safe area, and no problems. Will return if needed.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank djz032070
San Antonio
Reviewed 19 July 2009

I walked to my room which was in a corner on the 1st floor. The area smelled of urine. I entered my room and could smell a odor of womens cologne. I dropped off my luggage to go out to dinner with my family. I returned to my room and after being in the room I began to smell vomit. As I walked towards the waste basket the odor became stronger. The basket was clean but I believe a previous tenant must have missed the can and hit the carpet where the basket was located. The smell became nauseating. The basin drained slowly, the toilet handle had to be held down to flush,and the headboard to the bed was broken with part of it exposed. The minor things I could deal with but the odor was a different matter. I went down to the office and there was a gentleman who stood AWAY from the night window. He asked me what I needed and I explained the situation. I asked if there would be a room available the next day because i could not stay two days in a room that reeked of vomit. He told me there was nothing he could do. I asked if there were rooms available the next day? He again stated there was nothig he could do.This hotel has a NO REFUND, NO CANCELATION policy. In the am I again approached the staff at the desk. She then summoned a person from the rear. He asked me if I told the nite clerk about my room and I told him I had. He said he would move me at 1 pm. Housekeeping came at 11:30 and asked to clean the room. I told her we had checked out but were waiting for another room to move to. She told me this was her last room and she needed to clean it right now. She then left to go to the office I assumed. Our room phone rang and I was told to come get the key. As I hung up housekeeping arrived and told me she would open the door to our new room and she would clean the one we vacated. as we were relocating the woman from the front desk approached me and handed me the room key. Not a word was spoken. Customer service is lacking, she acted as if she were being bothered. Breakfast was Rice Krispy treats, honey buns, dry cereal, milk or coffee. Milk was not clearly labeled and there were several people eating their cereal dry until I located it. Also the iron/ironing board in the room is not convenient. The ironing board is in your room but no iron. Luckily I carry a travel iron. I had mentioned to the person at the desk that the iron is missing. He told me you have to come to the desk to request one. In our alternate room the chair was broken. The mattress was firm but the pillows are a joke. They are colorful pillows off of sofas or chairs with no support what so ever. I do have two postive notes. The have a small laundry mat there. The washer and dryer did an excellent job. Make sure you have your own detergent and drier sheets though. I noticed a PC located in the breakfast area for guests to use as well.

• Stayed July 2009
3 Thank chubsterSanAntonio
Dallas
Reviewed 12 July 2009

We had reserved a King bed and a sofa sleeper. The sofa had broken springs and couldn't be used as a pull out bed. Was told after 2nd day there that we were not supposed to have 3 people there. We had reserved and paid for a room for 3 people. That did get straightened out after showing the confirmation of the reservation. TV was not very good, blown speaker, buttons didn't work right. Had to get the remote replaced also to watch TV. States there is an iron and board. Not so. Breakfast is honey buns, muffins, cereal, etc. Asked the front desk to make sure we had extra towels. Never happened, had to go get them each time until we left a note for the maid. It is not bad for the price, not very close to sites south of Houston (Galveston, etc)

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Texas
Reviewed 18 May 2009

The price for the room was decent. We stayed here for one night. We notieced the smoke detector was removed by somebody. Also, the room had a funny smell when the heater was on. We had turned the heater on because somebody left the A\C running and the room was cold. The toilet would keep running, too. Overall, it was decent, but I've had better at Super 8.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple