“Clean rooms, good location, good facilities”

Carefree Inn Houston Medical Center
Ranked #335 of 517 Hotels in Houston
The netherlands
“Clean rooms, good location, good facilities”
Reviewed 8 February 2012

We found it difficult to find a hotel in a nice neighbourhood. Where is that neighbourhood? In ths end we choose for a not to expensive hotel with good reviews. So it became the carefree Inn. We stayed in Houston for 2 days and the stay was good. Nearby La Galeria, a couple off restaurants and all you need. It was clean, nice staff and a clean and well equiped kitchen. If have tried to look for a better location in Houston. I really have not seen anything that would make me pay a $100 for a night or more downtown. So in the end i was content.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Latehours, General Manager at Carefree Inn Houston Medical Center, responded to this review, 9 February 2012
Thank you!

We are glad to hear that you found our local and area of business helpful for the all that you need at a hotel. We do our level best in keeping our property up to standard and keeping it clean at all time. We appreciate your acknowledgement.

Many blessing to you all.

Sophia Serrano

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Hammond, Louisiana
Reviewed 7 February 2012

A great place to stay when you have a family member going to MD Anderson Cancer Center. The room/beds were comfortable, clean and inviting. The staff is wonderful and always very helpful and friendly. The shuttle service to and from MD Anderson was great!!! I even asked for directions to walmart, and staff asked me if I'd like to take the shuttle... NOT many places would do something like THAT!!!! I even ordered food from their restaurant (Fajitas To Go) and it was phenomenal and reasonably priced!!! I'll be back in two months when we return to Houston!!!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jerry Mackie M
Home away from Home, Our home blessed by you

Thank you very much for taking your quality time out to write us a review. All our staff and management appreciate your honest words in regards to all our services.
This helps us to rebuild and helps other medical patients to understand about our services.

All our blessing for you and your caregivers.

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 3 February 2012

i was a transfer student and wanted a safe good place for a week to stay in before settling down in Houston,, this place is just GREAT . /helpful people and great services and rooms, restaurants and grocery store across the street, bus routes every 15 minutes to downtown and other parts. And for the most important ,, good prices for such services .. Go for it :)

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Latehours, General Manager at Carefree Inn Houston Medical Center, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to communicate about your stay on Trip Advisor. We appreciate all of the feedback we receive from our guests and are grateful for your words.

Thank you again for your comments. Your business is valued and we hope your future travel plans will continue with us. Home way from Home

At Your Service,

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Based on the reviews here it looked ok, it was not. I checked in, saw my room and checked out. Old, dirty and just plain bad. Makes a Motel 6 look like the Ritz

Room Tip: Do not get fooled.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ump11
Latehours, General Manager at Carefree Inn Houston Medical Center, responded to this review, 21 January 2012
Dear Sir,

Could you please give us more information on you, what date you check in and out.
We have check our system to find what had happen there was no early checks out for last two months.

Please call the hotel. Speak to the manager in person.

We will apologies for any misunderstanding about our hotel.

Sophia
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I was supposed to stay there for 9 consecutive days, but my doctor at MD Anderson changed my schedule around and I had to leave early. The front desk staff was wonderful about checking me out earlier than planned. They were courteous, friendly, consistent, reliable and very, very sweet!

The hotel room was very clean. My mother-in-law and I both agreed we got the best sleep as long as we could remember on those beds (we have kids back at home, mind you, he he). The sheets and pillows smelled very clean and the room was always picked up, trash thrown out, fresh towels put up and beds made when we got back from the hospital. Loved the wooden floors (much cleaner than old carpeting). No smells, no bugs, no complaints! It was cold out, so we never turned on the a/c. The temperature was perfect as it was. I never ran out of hot water (it could get very hot, if you prefer). The free high-speed wi-fi in all rooms and hotel areas was very easy to connect to and the reception was excellent. I never had issues and there are no fees at all.

The TV has HBO and a bunch of other convenient channels (like ESPN and the Weather Channel, local news channels, etc.). They have a small gym in the lobby, as well as a computer with internet for anyone to use at anytime day or night. There is staff at the front desk around the clock and security cameras all around the hotel. Water and ice machine is "touch free" and there is a small microwave oven and small fridge in your room.

The free shuttle to and from the Medical Center was always punctual, consistent, convenient and the drivers, very professional. The shuttle ride from the hotel to the Medical Center was about 7-8 minutes. The hotel is located directly next to a Chase Bank, a Golden Corral, a Whataburger and a Taco Bell/Pizza Hut. There is also a wonderful little mexican place directly behind the hotel called: "Fajitas To Go". The food was wonderful!

The bus stop is literally in front (you don't even have to cross the street) of the hotel. We took bus #14 to go down Main Street to the countless shops and restaurants there. There's a Target, a Fiesta Supermarket, an Olive Garden, a Toys R US, etc. All you have to do is catch #14 back and it'll leave you across the street from the hotel. The Houston Texans' Football Stadium is also maybe 2 traffic lights away (#14 can leave you right in front). For those of you who, like me, don't take the bus too often, it's $1.25. There is a CVS Pharmacy within (short) walking distance and the hotel is right next to the ramp to and from the highway. It took a cab less than 5 minutes to bring us home from the Houston Galleria Mall one night ($15). There is also a large gas station across the street from the hotel.

The hotel front decoration...ha ha, really cute. Very "Texas" complete with bull, hay, iron stars, wood, hat and boots. It was actually kinda' funny to me. :-) The hotel offers a daily rate, a weekly rate, a medical rate and I'm sure, a longer-stay rate. Just ask!

Last but not at all least, the breakfast alone is worth half of what you pay per night. Every morning my mother-in-law and I walked into the kitchen (because it is a full kitchen, complete with full-size fridge, full-size stove/oven, fully stocked with in-perfect-working-order toaster, microwave oven, professional-grade waffle maker, coffee maker, clean pots, pans, cooking utensils of all kinds and large sink) and while she prepared coffee, poured the juice, picked some fruit and toasted and buttered bread, I would make fresh waffles and scrambled eggs. Every day we'd eat like we were at IHOP and it would hold us up so well that we wouldn't be starving by the time we were able to have lunch at the hospital. It was terrific! One night we even saw other guests cooking dinner there.

In our short four-night stay, we met two wonderful couples there, patients also at MD Anderson, who we plan to keep in touch with!

Because I cut my trip short, knowing that I'd have to return soon and I loved my first stay so much, instead of requesting the rest of my money be returned to the card, I left it as a credit there and guess what...I'm going there again this Sunday! :-) Looking forward to it, if you can believe that!

Room Tip: I had a first floor (ground) room on the right side of the hotel, facing the restaurants and bank...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Sylvianne G
Dear Madam, Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review of your stay at our @ our hotel Care Free Inn! Also, Thank you for being loyal to our hotel! We are very happy that we are able to keep up the same high standards of service that you've experienced in the past! We would love to have you here again, soon!

Sophia