New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Contemporary Arts Museum

Contemporary Arts Museum
Ranked #72 of 276 things to do in Houston
More attraction details
Owner description: The Contemporary Arts Museum Houston is a non-collecting institution dedicated to presenting the best and most exciting international, national, and regional art. Through dynamic exhibitions accompanied by scholarly publications and accessible educational programs, the Museum reaches out to local, regional, national, and international audiences of various ages. CAMH is always fresh, always free.
New York
“Great and unexpected contemporary museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2011

Saw a very well curated ad interesting exhibition of James Patterson, whose works I didn't know and another very interesting exhibition of Clifford Owens in the downstairs gallery. I was thoroughly impressed.

Lafayette, Louisiana
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Art beautifully displayed.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2010

I took my five kids (7-17) to the Contemporary Arts Museum as part of our Houston museum tour trip. The current exhibit was Barkley Hendricks's "Birth of the Cool."

At first, we completely passed the entrance door; it's a bit tucked away simply because of the way the building is designed.

Upon entrance, a posted sign recommended parents preview the gallery works before bringing children inside. I did not follow up on the recommendation, and unfortunately, my daughters and I were a bit surprised to pass several paintings of more mature subjects. We simply continued to other works with minimum fuss.

The Contemporary Arts Museum did a superb job of displaying Hendricks's work in a way that truly emphasized the power of his art. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit.