“Probably not a hotel for a person who reads reviews”

Candlewood Suites Houston - Clear Lake
Ranked #207 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed here for business on a weekend. This hotel was not of my choosing, as I've stayed here before and it is out of the way for my needs. But if you are looking to save money then this place will do just fine.

Staff: I only had one interaction as I checked in, and although friendly, not quickly attentive.

Hallways: Looking there age. Old carpet, dust in the corners, and worst of all was a strong cigarette smell - at least on the 3rd floor hallway.

Room: Fortunately, when I got in my room on the 3rd floor it didn't smell like smoke. In fact, it looks like there has been a recent update with modern fixtures/cabinets. Everything was clean and the bed comfortable. Both nights were restful with no annoying sounds or smells.

Buyer beware: This is an extended stay. In fact, as opposed to some other extended stays, no one will empty the garbage, or even step in the room during a 2 night stay. And no breakfast, accept for a few snack and frozen food items to purchase. There is a workout room, but I did not use it.

Pros: My 3rd floor room was updated, clean and comfortable. Value (aka cheap)

Cons: Cigarette smell in hallway of 3rd floor - enough so that some others in my party chose a 2nd floor room. Few staff - somewhat inattentive. No daily garbage, towel, bed service. No breakfast. Location - out of the way for my needs.

Recommendation: stay here only if it such a good deal that no other place makes sense. If you're not a smoker - beware, but there are some OK rooms.

Room Tip: 3rd floor hallways smell like smoke
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Houston - Clear Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear KJAustin,

Thank you for staying and taking the time to review our hotel. I'm delighted that you liked our comfortable room accommodations.

I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with the smell in the hallway and with the level of service you have received from our hotel staff. I have noted all your comments including the ones regarding housekeeping and breakfast. These will be used to consider improving our services to provide you with a better stay in the future.

We look forward to getting the chance of hosting you again and provide you with a great hotel experience.

Faith R
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 26 May 2014

This is a nice hotel. Good amenities, both in room and on property. The room was quiet, except for the ice maker in the fridge. But, that's not a big deal really, since you don't have to deal with ice buckets and tracking down the machine. It is quiet, even though I was just across the hall from the elevator. The wireless internet worked fine, I appreciate that it isn't just wide open to everyone, even with having to enter the code each night. It did seem a bit slow at times, but maybe I'm just used to my high speed.

This was my second trip to Houston, I've stayed here both times. This visit was better than the first. No problems with the room. I couldn't figure out what the thermostat on the wall was for, other than to report the temperature. A/C unit wasn't any louder than any place else I've stayed. My only real issues this time are with the elevator. It is very slow, both to respond to the call and in traveling between floors. And, in the afternoon/evening, once things have warmed up, it has a fairly heavy smell of cigarette smoke.

Nothing earth shattering. It is a nice stay, close to where I work when traveling to Houston. Reasonable value.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 May 2014

The rooms were nicely designed and clean and properly equipped for cooking. My point of contention is the HVAC system which is designed to save energy when the room was not occupied. The problem is once you turn all the lights off and go to bed the system deems you are not in the room and turns the A/C off, over my 5 night stay I woke up sweating every night. Not so smart if you ask this sleepless traveler. Also the wall control unit is not access able so you have to use the window unit itself to control the temperature when it allows you to. Another irritant is you either have to use the overhead bedroom light on or no lights on at all, I had to go buy a cheap lamp so I could see my remotes to watch the TV at night.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Rick H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Houston - Clear Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Dear Rick O,

Thank you very much for your recent stay and for taking the time to write us a review. It’s nice to know that you liked the cleanliness and design of the room as well as the full kitchen. It is regrettable to read that you were not satisfied with the lighting and air conditioning system in the room. We have taken note of your concerns and will take the necessary actions to avoid further inconvenience. We appreciate all your feedback is this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction. We would love for another opportunity in hosting you again.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 19 April 2014

After a nightmare experience with an extended stay hotel up the street I checked into a room here. After two sleepless nights else where the front desk here was a nice change. The room exceeded my dollar expectations and was nice and quiet. I stayed 2 weeks. I have cons to report but to be honest besides the room being very nice and quiet nothing else makes it stand out to me. Location average, staff average, By average I mean fair service for a fair price.
But I would not shop them if I was in the area, I would return and stay with them again.

Room Tip: I always try for top floor if it is non smoking
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 March 2014

There were a couple problems with the room, none of which I mentioned to management. The first was torn fabric (pleather?) seat. The next day when I came back, they had switched out the chair! Unheard of that they did this without me reporting it. A refreshing change where housekeeping usually does not notice or report problems, or maintenance does not proactively fix.

The second item was a very rusted air conditioning unit. It was very rusted. But, obviously, that takes more money. It didn't bother me and still seemed to work fine.

The room was very comfortable. I love to two rooms concept and the desks in Candlewood suites are the best layout anywhere, plenty of light and plugs to work on my computer and plug all my phones into.

Windows actually open which I love, and the room was extremely quiet.

Candlewood Suites is a small step below Embassy or Homewood, but I'd always stay here as there is ample parking, staff was friendly and efficient and was a good value.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Houston
Comfort Suites Webster
#11 of 17 in Webster
Clear Lake
TownePlace Suites Houston Clear Lake

Been to Candlewood Suites Houston - Clear Lake? Share your experiences!