“Worst stay ever!!”

Ranked #392 of 506 Hotels in Houston
Labadieville
“Worst stay ever!!”
Reviewed 26 February 2009

Me and my family decided to stay there for a weekend because we thought we got a really good deal off of priceline.com. Well let me just tell you I wouldn't recommend this hotel to a homeless person. The staff was very unfriendly and their so called cont. breakfast consist of stale cereal and old cofee. The room was very gloomy and the bed linens was probably from 1954. I wouldn't even give it 1 star! The office is very stinky it was swormed with Arab people and they had about 12 insense lit at once. Also everytime you walked out of your room the staff starres you down through the blinds; very scary people.Trust me stay at a Motel 6 or better!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
hojohoustontx, Webmaster at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Houston Downtown, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Dear Guest,

• Staff members received additional training in the courteous manner in which they are to treat you, our valued guests.

• Breakfast staff received additional training in presenting a proper breakfast.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will choose to stay at Howard Johnson Express Inn – Houston. We take our reviews very seriously, and I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Houston
Reviewed 2 February 2009

Me, my wife, my daughter and my grandson all decided that we needed a little weekend retreat so on the10th we booked in advance our stay here for the following week, the weekend of the 16th.

We arrive at the hotel at 4pm the 16th. We tell the front desk man, Rick I believe his name was. That we had reservations, he pulled it up on the computer and they had us booked at Feb. 16th, not January. So we tell them that we spoke to Joe, who claimed he had everything right and even went over our reservation for us. He then said "Sorry there is nothing we can do".

A manager came from the back and it turns out it was Joe, he told Rick that he screwed up on the information but we were staying this weekend. So we got our room key and made our way to the room. We opened the door and went in, I looked at the floor and there was gum on it, there was old cigarettes on the bed stand, a pack of new cigarettes sitting on the tank of the toilet and the beds had yellow stains on them, don't even want to know what it was.

The neighbor hood was horrible. The whole time we were there, we worried about our car because there were these shady looking young men walking around the hotel grounds. While we were there a car did get stolen. At night it wasn't any better, gunshots, yelling and some type of sound I can't even describe were always being heard at night.

• Liked — The manager
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Express Inn – Houston for your family’s weekend retreat.

• Joe and Rick both received our commendation for the courteous way in which they treated you, our valued guests.

• Joe and Rick received my personal commendation for the courteous way in which they treated you, our valued guests.

• Management was approached about your concern regarding the young men walking around the hotel grounds and the fact that a car had been stolen and there were gunshots. Ways in which security systems could better be in place were discussed.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Howard Johnson Express Inn – Houston. We take our reviews very seriously, and I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.

Travellers are raving about these Houston hotels

San Antonio TX
Reviewed 23 October 2008

The hotels easy access didn't make up for the bad neighborhood. There were shady people hanging out, I was unsure if they were employees or guests, but they made me nervous. There was no parking when we arrived around midnight and the room itself was awful. Dingy sheets and uncomfortable mattresses made it impossible for me to sleep. There were also dead roashes IN our room and several scattered throughout the grounds. Expected a whole lot more for the price we paid.

Stayed October 2008
Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving us a review, it is very much appreciated. Upon receipt of you review, the following steps were taken:

• Management was approached about the presence of what you describe as shady people hanging out. Ways in which security systems could be set up to make our valued guests feel more secure were discussed.

• Maintenance was notified of your report of roaches and instructed to look into the matter and see to any necessary extermination.

Tucson
Reviewed 21 October 2008

When I asked to have a beeping smoke alarm fixed, the "manager" told me he would see to it when he wasn't busy. Then he resumed reading his book! When he got around to coming to my room, he berated me for not taking care of the problem earlier in the day! "It's not houskeeping's job to take care of this, it's the customer's. You are the customer!" I did not want to talk with the "manager" after this experience, I was afraid of his temper. He was intimidating and belligerent. One of my friends called the office for information; he called her stupid and hung up on her. Amenities: 1) The "free internet" did not work, but I couldn't report it because the 2) office would not answer the phone.
3) Don't even think about asking for a wake up call. 4)When I checked out of the hotel at 7AM, there was no one in the office. I thought there was supposed to be "continental breakfast."

• Liked — Easy access to meeting location.
  • Disliked — The nasty, belligerant, intimidating, rude, horrid man in the office. He seemed emotionally disturbed.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank SO1311
Dear Guest,

• The manager received additional training in the courteous manner in which he is to treat our valued guests and others as our employee.

• Maintenance was notified of the beeping smoke alarm in the room assigned to you and instructed to see to any needed repair or replacement.

• Manager was approached about what was happening with the continental breakfast.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 May 2006

We landed for the graduation this year and expected a good treatment. We were given a warm reception to a room where the shower water force was milder than the tap. We requested for a room change. Now we were in for another surprise - ROACHES!!! strewn over the floor. Secondly, the bathroom door wouldn't close at all - an oversize door! The response from the management is absolutely negative. We were given only three towels for a family of four!

Truly speaking, I should get my refund. I will never go to a Howard Johnson again.

• Stayed May 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Express Inn – Houston for your recent stay in our area. Please extend our congratulations to the graduate, he/she can take great pride in their accomplishment.

• Management was given additional training in the courteous manner in which they are to treat you, our valued guests.

• Maintenance was informed of the problem with the bathroom door in the room assigned to you and instructed to see to it’s repair or replacement.

• Maintenance was informed of your report of roaches and instructed to see to any needed extermination.