“Small but super”
Review of Sabores del Golfo

Sabores del Golfo
Ranked #15 of 188 Restaurants in Harlingen
Reviewed 25 July 2015 via mobile

This is where the locals go for great fish at inexpensive pr ices. Grilled whole tilapia with rice, salad, and fish soup. $7.99. Might be a bit spicy for anyone that wants it with just lemon. Nonetheless excellent. Also live music this Friday with dinner. Parking lot is tiny. I would go again.

Reviewed 21 July 2015

This time I'm posting about Sabores del Golfo (Flavors of the Gulf) because I've been there several times and it has never disappointed me. Their staff is very friendly, prices are reasonable and the menu is better than I expected. Pictured here are "shrimp diablo" served with rice and salad for $7.99 - All patrons get a small bowl of seafood soup before the meal plus the traditional chips and salsa.

On thursday and fridays they have a buffet for $10.99 that includes medium sized fried shrimp, ceviche, salad, you-peel shrimp, fried fish and more.

The owners pay attention to detail for even the table designs (pictured here) are interesting. They sectioned parts of the table and filled with different type of beans, rice and the like. Very nice. The restaurant sells beer and offer happy hour specials. I hear the owners own several fishing boats and serve only the freshest seafood caught in the Gulf of Mexico. Almost every time that I've visited a couple of young musicians entertain patrons with the sounds of an accordion and guitar. The regional music adds to the regional experience of a laid back typical food venue in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas.

1  Thank NydiaTapiaGonzales
Reviewed 15 June 2015

While I find the food a little pricey for my wallet. The food is great, the shrimp is fresh Gulf shrimp not that farm raised stuff that other restaurants sell. The fish is also great. We ordered a fish and shrimp platter for two people. When we received our food there was enough food for four people. Our meal and two sweet tea's cam out to $38.00. There seafood buffet, when they have it, is more reasonable. Management and staff were friendly and courteous. The atmosphere was nice and relaxing. They also have WiFi and except reservations.

Reviewed 2 April 2015

The newest restaurant in town has really good fried and grilled seafood. I would describe it as a joint with a little effort at local color. I would not take the little woman there for our anniversary unless she asked but take her before the anniversary and she just might. My first trip I had the combo fish and oysters. The fish was great and the oysters were ok. The next time I had the buffet which mainly an excuse to see how much fried fish and fried shrimp one could eat a one sitting. The seafood soup was great. We also saw a huge shrimp cocktail across the room that looked like you wouldn't need anything else to eat. My better half raved about the grilled fish. It is definitely worth return trips.