“Fun & Repeatable”

Hood County Jail and Historical Museum
Ranked #4 of 45 things to do in Granbury
More attraction details
Owner description: The museum is housed in an authentic old western jail built in 1885 and located just off the northeast corner of the town square. The museum preserved the upstairs jail cells and hanging gallows just as they were when the County used it as a jail. The main floor houses exhibits on Hood County history covering David Crockett's descendants, General Granbury's tombstone, the Colony, Jesse James, John Wilkes Booth, Bell Starr, Comanche Peak, Barnard's Trading Post, the Brown family piano, and much more. It is recommended to call museum in advance.
Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

My kids really enjoy this museum. They love going up the narrow rickety stairs and checking out the original jail cells. I enjoy all the history were surrounded by while were there. They asked to revisit each time we're over on that side of town, and I think we've been there at least three or four times now

Reviewed 23 May 2017

My husband and I visited the County Jail and Museum and found it to be great fun. Very interesting for all ages. Plus you get to see a real old time jail.

Reviewed 19 April 2017

Wow, I'm sure glad I wasn't born in the 1800's and felt the need to break the law. I wouldn't want to be a resident of this jail. It's tiny. We learned a lot about how it was run, how many sheriff's it had and who spent time there. The curator was very knowledgable and pointed out key areas to check out. It was well worth the $2 admission price for adults, $1 for kids.

Reviewed 26 March 2017 via mobile

Absolutely fascinating! The cage is old school and you can finally learn the meaning of being in the "slammer".

Reviewed 26 March 2017 via mobile

Me and my wife stopped in on a vacation to the Hood County Museum had a great time people were very friendly and knowledgeable of the history spent quite a while just talking to people