“Great for parking, lousy shuttle service”

Comfort Suites Galveston
Ranked #24 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Covington, Louisiana
“Great for parking, lousy shuttle service”
Reviewed 10 January 2012

We booked this hotel (group of 4) because it offered parking during our cruise and shuttle service to and from the ship. Getting to the ship was fine but when we disembarked, after a huge delay because of fog, we were told we'd have to wait over an hour (in the rain) for the shuttle. We informed the desk clerk we'd take a taxi and expected half our shuttle fare back, which we did receive. BTW, if you're a group of two or more couples, it's far cheaper to share a taxi than use the shuttle. We'd stay here again but not use the shuttle.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank kanesmama

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Oklahoma City, OK
Reviewed 27 December 2011

We stayed here on 12/18, the night before our Carnival cruise. The place seems fairly new, but our room already had a couple stains on the carpet. The staff was friendly and helpful (Harsh as well. I mention this since an earlier reviewer complained about him). The tv was the old tube style and didn't have that many channels. I watched tv on the big flat screen tv that night in the breakfast area since our kids were watching in the room. The halls and main areas were noticeably cold. It seemed like they didn't have the heat on. Breakfast was average with what seemed to be powered eggs.

My main complaint is that the hotel key machine was broken. This meant that we didn't have a room key. Therefore, every time we wanted to go into our room, we had to have the front desk person, Harsh, let us in.

Harsh said that there were only a total of four front desk employees, and no one else was available to work that night to help let everyone into their rooms. He said the machine wouldn't be fixed until Wednesday (3 days later). He did say that once the card machine was fixed, they were going to make spare keys for all the rooms as a backup if it happens again. He also said that he wasn't authorized by the manager to give a discount for the guests' inconvenience.

To me, this shows a lack of caring on the manager's and owner's part. If they cared about us, they would have given us some type of compensation. I don't know if we'll stay at this motel again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank JackieT
Springfield Illinois
Reviewed 10 December 2011

We stayed two days prior to our cruise departed. This is a very new hotel but is out aways. Close to Moody Gardens. Very clean and the staff was wonderful. Hallways did have some smell, maybe from flooding from a prior hurricane. Breakfast was greta and so was the pool. You can park there free during your cruise. I would suggest taking a cab instead of their van service. Getting there was greatbut coming back they never showed up. We called the hotel six times and they did not answer the phones. Some people waited 3-4 hours and they never showed up, so do take a cab Very close to the ocean. Trolley picks up out front. Nice restaurant and gift shop with 200 feet. Other than that not much in the area, but a movie theater. I would stay in again. Better than downtown hotels in newness and clean.

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor to avoid noise from the lobby an dpool. There is only 54 rooms at thi shotel...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank gnerg
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 14 November 2011

We chose the “stay one night and leave your car here while on a cruise ship” package (October 29). The room was great, the morning food okay but the transfer service to and from the cruise ship terminal was over-the-top! The driver was intelligent, punctual and funny.

The room was clean, tastefully decorated and close to the beach. The only negative point about my visit at this hotel was the employee named “Harsh”. What a jerk! He told me the room was not ready and to come back in an hour.

Due to his lack of customer service skills, I approached a different clerk who confirmed my room was not ready and upgraded me to a beach view with a balcony and no waiting time! Of course Harsh tried to interfere with this transaction but the other clerk stood his ground. I also observed Harsh having a “word” with one of the employees the next morning in the breakfast area. Other than the annoying employee I recommend this place next time you are in Galveston.

Oh, about the parking? It’s an open and unsecured lot, $20.00 for the week and I did not have any problems. If you want to park closer to the cruise terminal, I was told the pink colored garage across the street from the terminal is $60.00. That might be worth the money since the terminal is a “zoo” when the ships let out.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank glb310
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Checked in for one night, on our trip along the gulf coast. Got a reasonable rate. The room was clean and well appointed with balcony and good quality fixings, eg faux granite surfaces and the beds were comfortable.
What really let the stay down was the slight odor in the communal areas coupled with extremely poor service from a front desk staff member. Also we could not access the fitness center during our stay, and the pool access was not secure.
Going back to the poor service, on checking in, the staff member assisted another guest whilst dealing with me with not so much as asking me or an apology. What I took real issue to was that I was told my bank card had declined in front of this guest. I produced another card and checked in ok. I then got to the room, rang my bank in the UK who said there were no issues with my card or account and the hotel had indeed debited $9.50 from my account!. The excuses the said staff member came up with were unbelievable!
On checking out, there were no staff on the front desk. As the same staff member who attended me the night before was smoking outside, he shouted that he would be a few moments. 5 minutes later he came back in, no apology or thanks for our custom. Reaking of smoke and generally disinterested. If you expect service to match the rate charged stay elsewhere! This experience was a disappointing, given the good service we had received at other Choice group hotels!

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere if you want good service. Don't pay extra for a balcony room, the hotel is set ba...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends