“Fantastic fish and chips!”
Review of Fish Tales

Ranked #51 of 258 Restaurants in Galveston
Price range: USD 21 - USD 30
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene, View details, Romantic, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Located across the street from Pleasure Pier, break away from the beach and enjoy fresh fare on the most popular beachfront balcony on the Seawall in Galveston. Fish Tales specializes in seafood straight from the Gulf of Mexico, as well as pastas, steaks, salads and more. Start with our famous Shrimp Kisses - bacon-wrapped and stuffed with jalapeno Jack cheese. Then savor Galveston seafood by trying one of our signature dishes like Fresh Catch Redfish, Fried Shrimp, Blackened Stuffed Catfish Etouffée or Succulent Snow Crab Legs. After an incredible meal, indulge in our large assortment of ice cream and desserts that will satisfy any sweet tooth! Fish Tales in Galveston is open daily for lunch and dinner with great happy specials including beers & cocktails.
Reviewed 5 May 2021

Delicious crispy fish and chips! Huge portions! Great location with indoor and outdoor dining available with views of the ocean.

Date of visit: May 2021
Write a reviewReviews (1,659)

Reviewed 5 May 2021 via mobile

Good food across from Pleasure Pier. We started with the Crab Balls, which were ok, not great. I had fried shrimp served with fries and coleslaw, and they were very good. My husband had fried catfish and it was just ok. Huge portions, we couldn’t eat it all, but like most restaurants in town kind of pricy for what you get. I thought it would be nice sitting outside, but with the flies and birds swarming you I’d suggest an inside table.

Reviewed 2 May 2021 via mobile

Fish Tales was a short walk from our hotel so we decided to try it for lunch upon arrival in Galveston for our weekend get-a-way. We wanted something light since we had reservations for a bigger dinner later in the day. We were greeted by a very personable young man, Vernon, who escorted us to a perfect table for a view of the gulf. After taking our drink orders, he pointed to a couple of items on the menu that he recommended. One of his recommendations was their Avocado, Shrimp cocktail served with tortilla chips so we decided to try it. It was absolutely wonderful. We then asked to split their Greek Salad and it, too, turned out to be great and just perfect for a lunch. Vernon was so pleasant and so helpful that we planned to come back on one of our other days and ask for him. Fish Tales was a great introduction to Galveston’s wonderful restaurant choices. Too bad we’re only here for 3 days!

Reviewed 29 April 2021 via mobile

First, my husband for locked in the bathroom stall and had to text me he couldn’t get out. Apparently that wasn’t the first time it has happened to somebody. I felt kind of bad for the waiter we had. I think they were short staffed. Everything was really slow. We waited a long time for our drinks and struggled to get someone to bring us some silverware even 10 minutes after the food arrived. My husband liked his oysters but I wasn’t overly impressed with everything. The outdoor windows were filthy, covered in greasy fingerprints and the manager seemed very unorganized. Wouldn’t be going back.

Date of visit: April 2021
Reviewed 22 April 2021

Location is great. Setting is decent. Service is below average. We were waiting for everything - orders (took forever, three other parties got theirs before us), check, payment. Food is just... horrible. And expensive.

Let's see. I had a po-boy with crawfish tales. Now, I know how good po-boys supposed to taste like. This one had a decent amount of meat, but... zero sauce. It was literally a bread with green leaf, couple tomatoes and fried crawfish tales on top. As dry as it can get. Had to constantly drink to swallow it those pieces of wood.
My wife had a coconut shrimp. That was a ... $20 dish. There was a plate covered with French fries with 8 (!!!) heavily breaded average shrimps on top. Shrimps were covered in confiture coconut, meaning the one you use for making cakes. Really sweeeet. Sorry, this is not how you make coconut shrimp.
For appetizer we had calamari rings which had way too much breading. Couldn't taste anything except the crisp.
Everything was covered in extreme layers of breading. I have nothing against it, but it was way too much. And frying food in old oil doesn't help - everything had a bitter aftertaste.

All this contraption cost us whopping $55 (two main dishes, appetizer and a cup of gumbo) before tips. The only way this place would satisfy me, if I came here really drunk. Just horrible.

Stay away.