“After reading reviews...”

Ranked #24 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
Houston, Texas
“After reading reviews...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

I was scared after my company booked threw travelocity. Let me tell you, NONE of what was said has proved to be true. This hotel is new and spotless. I have never felt so at home while traveling on the road for my job. My stay was 6 nights and the front desk was nothing as described. The gentleman was very accommodating and helped me with anything needed. I give this place a 10 on all accounts. Full kitchen, beautiful table, room with door, COLD A/C as soon as I entered room, and CLEAN! I don't ever write reviews but this one deserves its name cleared. Thank you Candlewood, we will be back. I haven't slept this good in a long time!

Room Tip: Couch pulls out into bed
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank BrittanyJadeH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Finnish first
Dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

I recently stayed at Candlewood during a very busy time for them--a dance competition coupled with a festival downtown as well as a cruise weekend (my husband and my reason for being there). Not only did we receive a fast check in with no problems, but the wonderful girl Abigail at the front desk arranged for our parking at their location and for third party shuttle to the terminal. It was a breeze. Whatever request we had was promptly answered, from an extra pillow and blankets to getting us some ice as the ice maker in our room was taking very long. Even though not on the beach, their rooms are the same size as more expensive beach front locations and the atmosphere is much more hospitable. The manager Ali was equally friendly and helpful with our check out, and we definitely plan to stay again for the fourth of july.

Room Tip: Room service is not provided, this is an extended stay hotel, but the front desk is always willing t...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Charise O
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

We stayed here on a Saturday night. We made our reservation at the very last minute, so there were not many vacancies in hotels around the area, and we ended up paying over $200 for the room. That was too much. We had a room with 2 double beds. They apparently do not have rooms with 2 queen beds, which I thought was a little odd, but the beds were very comfortable. The hotel is not on the seawall, it is on 61st street, but it is on the EAST side of the interstate, so it is a pretty good ways from the beach, definitely not within easy walking distance . Even though it was full, we had no problems parking or checking in. The room did have a full kitchen, which is really nice, and everything was clean. The sink in the bathroom was hooked up backwards, with the cold on the left and the hot water to the right. We could hear the people in the next room up and moving around at 2am. Despite that, I would still say overall it was an ok place to stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank 4andadog
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

My wife and I stayed two nights at this hotel in March 2012 and had a special rate of $82.00 per night. The room was comfortable, however the mattress was pretty hard. The A/C worked very well and the room was clean. The room had a small kitchen that seemed adequately equipped although we did not use it. This is not a total smoke free facility and that was disappointing. We were on the third floor on the supposed non-smoking end but when we walked out in the evening the smoke in the hallway was pretty bad. We could even smell it in our room when we went to bed. The maintenance is a little lacking here. The refrigerator made a noise and the door did not seal properly which added to the cigarette smoke smell in the room. I suppose I would not be opposed to staying here again but I would make sure up front that the door seals! The staff was friendly enough. This hotel is only a few minutes to the seawall and is located next to the highway and near a Target store. If you get a good rate here go for it!

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side face the highway which may add to the noise.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SteveSmith243
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Galveston, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Dear SteveSmith243,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. I am glad to see that you left some feed back on what you liked as well as what feel below your expectations. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. We are hospitality professionals and strive to be the best. Your comments will be looked into. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, Please do not hesitate to let us know.

Katie J
IHGCare
Houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

Wow, was I afraid after reading the reviews here...I had already booked this hotel cuz it's practically the only one with suites that accepts pets. And I booked at a non-refundable rate.
I think our experience is simply the difference in crowded vs. not crowded times of the year. The front desk staff was nice, morning and evening, and talkative. The room and hallways were clean, and I was wishing the weather was warm, cuz the pool was sparkling and inviting. The only negative was the location.

• Stayed March 2012