All reviews pioneer cabin front porch occasional deer texas hill country country living modern bathroom porch swing home away from home downtown fredericksburg we've stayed estes barn goats property pony weekend wineries
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We stayed at Settler’s Crossing for a short holiday family vacation after Christmas and chose it for its country location and charm. As soon as we arrived we absolutely loved it! We stayed in the 1800s Pioneer Cabin and the 1920s Baag House. I think the only complaint we had about the houses was that those who stayed in the “newer” Baag House wished they were staying in the older, charming Pioneer Cabin!

The location is absolutely wonderful. It is a quiet and serene setting in the country, yet very conveniently located with respect to town (only 10 minutes away). The grounds were kept up nicely and everything was picturesque. I did find cheaper B&Bs in the area when I was looking, but we chose Settler’s Crossing for its charm.

Like other reviewers we were disappointed in the breakfast. In each house, we had four people staying and were given four pastries each day (which were good). Additionally, we were also provided a small selection of individual cereals and oatmeal packets, 2 pints of milk, 1 small individual (10 oz?) bottle of orange juice, and 1 similar bottle of apple juice. The milk and juice was never restocked—for four people staying 3 nights (yes you can assume correctly that we ran out right away). The cereal and oatmeal was also never restocked. I don’t have a problem with a continental style breakfast, but you should definitely provide an appropriate amount of food and beverage each day for the number of people staying. It would also be nice to add some fresh fruit or yogurt to the breakfast to supplement the one pastry that each person is delegated. We have come to prefer B&Bs over hotels for their charm and service. However, this was the most disappointing breakfast we have ever received at a B&B. You should not expect your patrons to overlook a mediocre detail (that is reflected in your name) for the rest of what you have to offer. It would be a very simple improvement to make, and one that will weigh in our (and others) decisions to stay here again in the future.

5 stars for the bed/amentities/location. 2 stars for the breakfast. Overall I still gave it 4 stars since we really loved the charm of the houses and location.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank KristinTXAg
Reviewed 31 December 2011

Tranquil? Yes! Comfy and homey? Absolutely! Vacationing old style? No doubt! My family consist of my wife and I and our two daughters, aged 19 and 12. We do everything together! We wanted a place where we could literally "play house" in a country, farm, old world environment and this was a dream come true! I cooked us a big Italian dinner in a simple kitchen with just the basics! We sat out on the porch and marveled at the stars. The barn full of livestock was about 50 yards away. The glow of lights and the smell of smoke from the fireplaces of the other nearby cottages simply added more to the ambiance!

The house was a treasure of the past down to the last piece of crown molding. The beds were so comfy! We could not have had a better time! We are hoping to go back in the spring to see the wild flowers! Please do yourself a favor and visit this Hill Country Treasure!

Room Tip: If you are traveling in winter, you may want to request a house with a fireplace. Ours did not have one and that would have been fun!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 December 2011

The old buildings are charming and the look and feel of the property is very authentic and peaceful. That said there were many small things that made our stay less than perfect. First off we had a long day hiking and wanted to take a bath. There was not enough water in the hot water heater to fill the bath tub more than a quarter full. By the time we waited for it to heat up again the water in the tub had gone cold. Something was also up with the plumbing for the toilet that made it sound like a jet engine which kept waking us in the night.
When we went to make a fire in the fire place we discovered that the wood had been left out in the rain, we brought it in to the wood basket inside but it made for a very smoky fire.
Lastly, I would not describe this as a bed and breakfast. Private cabin with a kitchen is more accurate. The website said that breakfast would be brought to our door. Only at 10 am did we realize that breakfast was actually supposed to be the mini boxes of cereal on the shelf and a zip lock bag of pastries on the table. I guess I'm just used to bed and breakfasts where the host asks me what I would prefer to eat I would have loved some fresh fruit in the morning.
All in all, we felt like we had payed too much for what we got. It is the attention to the details that makes the difference between 2 stars and 5 stars.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Milena B
jedestes, Owner at Settlers Crossing Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2012

I am so sorry. It seams that sometimes everything goes wrong. The commode was broken, (a somple part worn out) the hot water heater went out and had to be replaced, and it rained for six days straight (something not seen here for awhile). As for the breakfast, we do as best we can. We do not have a central location for breakfast so we purchase baked goods from a local bakery and do put them in plastic siplocs for freshness. We have found that most of our customers love our property enough to overlook the modest breakfast. Our pricing is lower than the top tier B & B's in town to reflect the lack of breakfast. Again, I apologize for the mishaps, but most were beyond our control. David Estes, Owner

Reviewed 28 November 2011

We loved staying in the converted 1800s barn. It was being in the country, but only 5 minutes out of town center. So peaceful and quiet, sitting outside for coffee in the morning, using the walking paths on the property, watching the sunset in the porch swing. The beds were so comfortable, and with rain on the roof....couldn't be any better. Only complaint, and a small one, is that the breakfast muffins were just okay, but they served the same ones every day in a plastic bag. If you are looking for gourmet, this is not the place. Our dog loved being able to stay with us and playing with the other dogs onsite. And the squirrells, and deer, and donkeys, and sheep, and birds.

Room Tip: Just review the various homes online and choose one that fits your party size. They have very small up to very large. The barn was at the back of the property, had two bedrooms, and was in a quiet location.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Six families (15 people) met here to celebrate my mother's 90th birthday. It was a great choice. David, the owner, gave us four cabins together that formed a little compound. We brought two long tables and our own chairs and had dinner outside each evening under the stars. (We brought things that just required heating up in the oven. It worked out fine, especially since we had two kitchens to use.) We put my mother and her husband in the Kusenberger cabin so they didn't have to listen to early risers or late evening talkers. The rest of us shared Bagg Farmhouse, Pioneer Cabin and Kusenberger Barn. The children loved all the animals, the adults loved sitting on the porch talking, everyone had a good time. My sister made homemade cinnamon rolls each morning, so no one ate the light breakfast provided. Caveat: They are rustic cabins, with only one bathroom per cabin. Our shower was in an old-fashioned tub with curtains all around. If you're looking for a spa experience, it isn't here. For our family it was perfect and everyone had a fantastic time. This was our second stay here, the first time was with a group of friends for a bicycling weekend. I highly recommend it for congenial groups!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family