“Motel Hell” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 26 Hotels in Fredericksburg
Arvada, Colorado
“Motel Hell”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

I traveled to Fredericksburg with my boyfriend for the cycling event, Hell Week, and booked this property based on its proximity to the event location, price, availability, and decent reviews on this site. My disgust and disappointment upon arriving was immense. This property suffers from systemic filth, apathetic and off-putting ownership, and dangerous property features. Where to begin...

The only reason I stayed for the nights I did is because the whole town was booked - except for very high end spots - due to Hell Week and spring break and I could not get a reservation elsewhere. It was raining when we arrived and there was glass and slime on the stairs leading up to our room. When we told the cleaning crew about the glass (we didn't want to track it in to the room while bringing in our luggage) the woman tersely said, "It's been removed." I had her walk with me down the walk way, which I realized was also covered with a slimy substance, and pointed to the glass. "Oh. It will be removed." Even though it stopped raining that night the slime on the walk way and the stairs remained. I held on to the hand rail on the walk way so as not to fall.

Upon entering the room I realized that glass on the carpet would have been an improvement. The room was dark, stuffy, and smelled so strongly of orange cleaning fluid that I nearly had an allergy attack. I opened the curtains to get more light to look over the room and realized that I was smelling air freshener because the room was not clean. There was a cracked patch in the tub, spit balls on the tub wall and ceiling to "repair" wallpaper, toilet paper stuffed in the exhaust fan to keep it from falling out, the bathroom was saturated with a heavy urine smell (the hinges of the toilet had obviously never been cleaned), the base boards in the entire room had never been cleaned, the tile grout was BLACK, there were outlet face plates missing, broken furniture, a mattress so disgusting we got a plastic cover to put over it, light bulbs missing, bug droppings in the refrigerator/microwave area.and the carpet was so filthy your socks turned black when walking on it. I knew the town was booked for the weekend and so decided to purchase cleaning products to clean the room myself and get through a night or two. I asked the "cleaning" staff not to use the cleaning fluid and I would let them know what I needed for service. I cleaned and disinfected as much as I could but still had some off limits areas that I just was not comfortable setting my things in or on.

I planned on speaking with the owner, Paul Patel, the next day (we arrived pretty late after a long drive and were tired) at breakfast but once I saw the breakfast area I realized that the filth I saw in my room extended to the property as a whole. The surfaces of the breakfast room were not clean and had dried on dirt from many days of use and no cleaning. The refrigerator had spilled, sour milk in the bottom that met your nose when you opened it. The whole room smelled of tobacco smoke and the bathroom adjacent to the breakfast area had a running, cracked toilet and looked as though it had never been cleaned. The front desk had piles and piles of stuff sitting everywhere and looked awful, the foyer had an information stand with fliers from 2010 that were still stuffed in and around the newer ones. The coffee pot was empty and when I told Paul he wouldn't even let me finish my sentence before he jumped in and said, "NO. Coffee is there," pointing to the empty coffee carafe. I said I didn't want decaf, but regular, and he again interrupted me saying, "It's not decaf. It's just in the decaf pot." Two cups and two hours later it was very apparent the coffee WAS decaf.

We could hear every word being said in the room next door, which wasn't bad the first night as it was a pretty quiet family staying there. I got a glimpse into the room they were in and it looked just as bad as ours. The last straw was when two young men checked in next to us and were "partying" into the wee hours. We had cigarette smoke coming in to our room because the face plates on the outlets on the adjoining wall were missing so smoke could seep through. We couldn't take anymore and went to the office to complain and tell Paul we would be checking out the next day. He was outside smoking a pipe (explains why the breakfast room smelled of tobacco) and when we told him we had several problems he said, "Oh no, you'll have to show me."

When we took him inside the room his response was, and I quote, "I've been here eight years and never seen anything like this." I doubt that seriously. He began picking the spit balls off the bathroom wall and moved the TP stuffed in the bathroom fan so that it fell on my head. "Oh, sorry." I told him to please not touch anything else as I would just have to disinfect it all again. He said he would let us out of the rest of our reservation.

The next morning Paul offered my boyfriend an "upgrade" to a jacuzzi suite to try to get us to stay. I inspected the "upgraded" room and found it to be just as systemically filthy and damaged (deep gouges in the tub, peeling grout in the shower, black tile grout, filthy toilet) as the room we had suffered through.

I went to check out after I loaded our things into the car and found a note on the front counter saying "Back in 10. Leave the keys on the desk." I waited to make sure that we were checked out and get a final bill. When Paul came into the office 15 minutes later he asked why I wasn't taking the jacuzzi room and when I told him I found it just as dirty as the room I was in he interrupted me - again - and said, again I am quoting directly here, "I would have checked out the first night." I was nonplussed. When checking out he gave me someone elses bill which I didn't realize until a day later because I was so desperate to get out of that hell hole.

When I called him the next day to correct the bill he just talked over me and said "I was going to call you." I asked him why he had not cleared the hold on my credit card for the original charge of over $1000 and he again just talked over me and blamed it on my bank. It took him three more days to actually settle my account on my credit card. I told him I was going to publish a full review of my heinous experience and he hung up on me. Perfect. I received a copy of my corrected receipt and a lame "I am sorry you had a bad experience at our facility" e-mail later that day. What a horrible business owner.

I took the Days Inn (Wyndham) survey sent to me as a follow up and told them that if they value their brand at all, they would remove this property from their rolls. Supporting photos are attached. I will no doubt get a response from the owner trying to refute these facts, but pictures say a thousand words. Fredericksburg is a beautiful place and I highly recommend visiting there - just stay away from The Days Inn Suites at all costs.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Wineknow
daysinnfbg, Manager at Days Inn Suites Fredericksburg, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Hello:
We are extremely sorry you had a bad experience at our property.
We are immediately correcting the issues in your complaint.
We are responsible for your stay and thrive to offer a good product.
Once again I apologize for failing to offer you a satisfactory stay.
P PAtel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times and never disappointed... Will continue to stay here every time we visit Fredericksburg!

• Stayed March 2012
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

Reading the reviews and recommendations by other travelers about this property convinced us to book for one night.

The property looks old but the modern update of our room was a pleasant surprise: new looking carpet and soft goods plus new tile in the bathroom. The bed was comfortable with plenty of pillows. The room had a sofa, hair dryer, ironing board with two irons, and free WiFi. The room was clean and well maintained.

I called the hotel directly for reservations and got a 10% Senior Citizens discount. This discount was not an option on Travelocity etc.

The only disappointing factor was the free buffet breakfast. The choices were donuts, muffins, waffles, sweet rolls, bananas, instant oatmeal packages, two dispensers of dry cereal, white bread and a toaster. All of these carbs and not one item of protein. I expected at least some yogurt. We ate at a nearby restaurant for breakfast.

We would choose to say at this property again because of the price, location, price, nicely appointed rooms and price.

Room Tip: in Room 202, the shower head needs to be replaced and the bathtub drained slowly.