“Nice food, service and atmosphere”
Review of Tokyo Cafe

Good for: Business meetings
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Camp Bowie & Merrick
Reviewed 8 December 2017

Had the pleasure to join a friend recently and was a pleasure to dine at Tokyo. The atmosphere was modern and bright and the staff pleasant all around. Asking the waitress for suggestions it was clear she knew the menu and offered great suggestions. I had a rice bowl which was good and we shared sushi. Overall a nice experience.

Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

Real good sushi, great lunch special. Rice bowls are great, cheap meal. Try the koi fries for a unique treat. Only thing ive ever had underwhelming was bland fish n chips.

Reviewed 30 June 2017 via mobile

It was good. The staff was nice, place was clean, entry way has a odd smell ...I thought maybe the building was an old diner or something? Dunno, but it's off putting as the first impression...as soon as your in the second door it changes and it's clean and bright. The rolls are more like tasting size . We did our usual, order multiple items at a new place ..basically way to much to get a feel for it... it was decent, not quite cold enough for my personal preference and price vs. size is much smaller rolls than you can get other places for the same price. We might go back, but it's not on the most memorable places list for sure.

Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

Popular, very clean restaurant, very attentive staff. Off of west 7th near auto repair shop. Locals rave about it. Good selection of creative , authentic japanese food.

Reviewed 7 April 2017

On Tuesday, April 4, 2017 Wife, Daughter and I visited Tokyo Cafe off of Camp Bowie on Pershing St. in Fort Worth.

This re-opened Cafe (after it had been closed due to fire) had a very nice, clean, uncrowded appearance - very pleasant. Our waitress, Amber, was very agreeable and brought me a small taste of 2 chardonnays so that I could decide which I liked better.

We started with an appetizer of fried Gyoza? which was like a fried pot sticker. It was well cooked crispy on the outside and hot soft filling and very flavorful. We also got a basic Tempura Roll which had with more rice than I like, but wasn't bad.

Daughter ordered the beef and shrimp Yakisoba?, a noodle bowl type of dish. We all had a taste and it was quite flavorful with tender noodles. It came piping hot, nice appearance with a little bit of a smokey flavor and very slight sweetness and I thought it was very good. And the beef was very tender as well.

Wife ordered a Crunchy Roll and I ordered a Lobster Roll. The Lobster Roll is a lobster tempura and served with a side sauce of lobster bisque. The bisque was very good, but did not have much of the lobster flavor and no actual lobster that I could tell. The roll is somewhat bland, but with the sauce it stood up well, even to the small amount of wasabi that I used. The one negative that I had was that the ratio of filling to rice was too heavy on the rice side. That made for a bland gummy taste that was only saved by the sauce. The Crunchy Roll was a pretty basic roll, but it had a brown sauce on it that just did not appeal to me at all. I can't even say what the sauce was, but after one taste I took off all the rice that had that sauce on it in order to eat any of the actual roll. Up to this point, all of the rolls were a little disappointing in that they had very little of the fish in them. The veggie and rice parts were heavy, but they lacked in the best part, and continued to have that gummy rice taste more than the sushi flavor. Until the last roll, an afterthought because my appetite wasn't satisfied. I ordered a basic Spicy Tuna Roll. It was only then that I felt like I got a real sushi roll, because there was more sushi than rice, and it tasted like that as well. I would order the last roll first if I return to Tokyo Cafe, but I'm afraid I will not be in a hurry to return. Sushi is expensive and this dinner was not my favorite sushi.