“Still the best avocado sandwich in Texas”

Great American Hero
Ranked #678 of 4,077 Restaurants in Dallas
Cuisines: Fast food
Reviewed 18 May 2016 via mobile

I have been coming here since the late 1970's and they offer the best avocado sandwich I have ever tasted! Service might be spotty at times, but sandwich has remained perfect!

Reviewed 5 April 2016

This restaurant claims to offer healthy food, but they do NOT post any nutrition information on their website.

Want to contact them? Can't do that on the website either!

However, IF you call them, and IF they aren't too busy, and IF you still have a fax machine, they might FAX you the nutrition information.

So I got their fax, and it is a one page document with nutrition information on about 20 of their sandwiches, but it doesn't tell what kind of bread is used, or what changes in the info (fat, calories, carbs, protein, etc.) to the basic sandwiches would relate to changes in their faxed information.

Not very helpful at all, and limited. No info on their salads, wraps, nachos, extras, or desserts!!

If you want to eat healthy and you want to know what you are consuming, you might try getting food elsewhere until this company updates their website and joins the current century.

That being said, I do like their Healthy Hero. I just wish I could find nutrition info for some of their other offerings so I could eat there more often!

Reviewed 24 March 2016

The food is very good. The meal portions are huge. Value is very good. All the staff are very nice and friendly. Definitely a place to visit for a good healthy quick meal. They have a drive through and indoor seating, with some tables on a patio also.

Reviewed 29 September 2015

I went to Great American hero because a family suggested it. I personally do not like sub sandwiches but, I went anyway because I didn't want to be a stick in the mud. First off, the look of the restaurant just makes you want to smile. Especially when you notice the mailbox on top of the roof that says "Air Mail" on it....hilarious. Second, the menu is overwhelming but not in a bad way. They have so much of a variety of food(sandwiches) that my wife was stumped. She couldn't figure out what she wanted. Third, the staff was outstanding is so many different ways. They were so patient and walked my wife through the menu which helped her make a decision. The staff was extremely pleasant and very understanding. I say understanding because when I got my food and went to sit down, my wife backed in to me (by accident) and knocked my found and drink out of my hands and all over the floor. I was willing to pay for another meal because it was our fault but the the people at Great American Hero would not have. They replaced the meal and the drink for free. Fourth, I mentioned "I do not like subs" earlier....I should have made that past tense. The sandwiches were outstanding! I am a 6'3" 230lb man and I had a hard time completing my "regular" sized sandwich. It was HUGE! Lastly, this was the first time visiting the establishment so they gave us all free fruit bowls for being first time customers. This restaurant is the epitome of excellent customer service with great food to boot. It is literally 40 minutes away from where we live but we will be visiting often and I encourage you to visit also.

Reviewed 15 August 2015 via mobile

Rude staff and tangy roast beef. I first are here in 1977 and remember this place fondly. We used their drive through a few months ago and enjoyed the food and experience. Today's encounter was just the opposite - there was virtually nothing good about it. My ciabata bread hero was fair though.