“Definitely seen better days!”
Review of The Saffron House

The Saffron House
Ranked #1,004 of 3,847 Restaurants in Dallas
Price range: USD 10 - USD 25
Cuisines: Asian, Indian
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 18 September 2017 via mobile

I popped in for their lunch buffet.The food was nothing to rave about,however pretty decent spread considering it was priced at 11.95 plus taxes.Funny enough though,you literally had to hunt for the meat in goat curry and paneer(cottage cheese) in Saag paneer.The best part was fresh naans served piping hot from the oven!Hats off to the lone lady server,who was efficient and friendly.
The restaurant had a 80s looks filled with traditional Indian artifacts with a old generic Bollywood music playing in the background,which can get on your nerves at times.The place wasn't packed but had guests trickling from time around o time.I ended my lunch with some nice warm gulag jamunAs for one time experience it was ok,but as I mentioned earlier it has definitely seen better days.

Reviewed 11 June 2017 via mobile

Went there for the lunch buffet. The saag paneer was decent. The chicken tikka masala tasted like bits of chicken thrown into a orangy sauce with no flavor. The naans were dry, the seeks kababs tasted like they have been made a week ago.

If you have NEVER had Indian food before you might find this place appetizing, anyone else you can do a million times better.

Reviewed 15 September 2016

I have been to the Saffron House in the past, and it has always been an enjoyable experience with good service and great food. Unfortunately, all of that seems to have changed.

Upon arriving, on a mid-week day there was only one other occupied table in the restaurant. We were greeted and seated immediately, which seemed terrific. And, it all went downhill from there.

The service was abysmally slow. At times, it seemed that we had been forgotten about completely – and since there was almost no one else in the restaurant, this seems incomprehensible. At one point the owner or manager came by and asked if we were ready to order, and I told him we were – very much so. He said, “ok”, wandered off, and never came back. In fact – no one came back – for almost twenty minutes. That set the stage for the rest of the evening as water glasses routinely went empty, and the staff seemed to all but vanish for extremely long periods of time.

Almost an hour after being seated, we finally ordered. And, the food seemed to take an eternity to arrive. When it did arrive, the person who brought it was not the person who took our order, so she had no idea who had ordered what dish. I felt bad for her being put in such an uninformed position.

Sadly, the food was disappointing. And, I have eaten here many times in the past. The Butter Chicken had a strange emerald red color to it that I have never seen before – anywhere. My Malia Kofta was overcooked, had very hard, crunchy, inedible clumps of rice in it, was off in color, and had very little flavor. One person ordered veal that was dry and too tough to cut with the butter knife provided. When we managed to find the server, he said they had no other knives.

About two hours later, the meal could not have been over soon enough. I also noticed that, in the time we were there, about five other tables had become occupied. No one else had left by the time we left. This leads me to believe that our experience was not an anomaly, and that pretty much everyone there that evening had a very, very slow time of it.

There are many good Indian restaurants in the area. Saffron House used to be one of the best. It has moved to the other end of that spectrum. You will be happier if you go somewhere else.

Reviewed 24 July 2016 via mobile

My father and I went here for dinner.

The decor of the restaurant was exquisite. The bronze freize upon the wall is something of a spectacle.

The service staff were nice enough.

We ordered the samosas which were wonderfully crispy and spicy but the largest I've ever seen.

My dad ordered chicken marinated in tandoori spices. It definitely brought some heat.

I ordered the bairan bagra, which was an eggplant specialty. It tasted very good. Unfortunately it was too fatty and upset my stomach.

The naan here is perfect. As were the desserts we ordered. We had the gulab jamun and the kulfi. My only issue was that the portion of dessert that you get for $4 to $5 wasn't nearly enough.

My only other issue was that their water tasted strongly of metal.

In terms of value, the prices are a little higher than at other places, but I was not too surprised considering it's located in a more upscale area of Addison.

Reviewed 22 June 2016

We went for the lunch buffet on the weekend and it was pretty quiet around 2pm. A few tables filled up as we were eating. I don't know why it was so quiet given that their buffet was great! Plenty of vegetarian and non-vegetarian options available. They serve fresh naan to your table with the buffet. They also have a few appetizer options- we really liked the samosa chaat! For dessert they had gulab jamun which were okay and kheer which was great! It is a little pricey compared to other Indian lunch buffets but we really enjoyed it and recommend trying it out!