“Such nice staff and the food was great”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Taqueria Los Juanes
Ranked #12 of 20 Restaurants in Comanche
Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

My friend brought my mom and I here for lunch before our return trip home. We arrived after the lunch crowd so the place was quiet. The waitress and owner both took really good care of my mom, making sure she had everything that she needed and giving her a large iced tea to go for the long drive home. The salsa was pretty spicy which I loved and my nachos were super yummy but I had to take half home, I was stuffed! I really can't remember what my mom ordered but she ate it all and said it was delicious and my friend ordered one soft taco that was stuffed with meat that could have filled two tacos! Very roomy inside with a nice cool temperature, being that it was so hot outside it was refreshing. I would go back to this restaurant the next time I was in town for a visit!

Reviewed 28 December 2016

This place was a big disappointment. Already I avoid tex-mex places because of their passionate love of hiding lard in their recipes. Add to that the fact their core ingredients are the lowest grades of food available, and it’s easy to determine I don’t need to eat that.

Los Juanes is one of a few choices in this little farming community with table service. The outside of the place does not make one want to go inside and eat. The front door is a residential entry door that hasn’t seen any paint, or even cleaner in months. It’s grubby to worn bare around the door handle from usage.

This was once a Premier gas station, and little has been done to mask off it’s past. The ceilings are low, the furnishings austere, and the place looks generally cheap. If there were any other table service dining available I would have walked out.

I ordered some kind of lunch plate with a minimum of cheese, which amounted to a taco and a beef enchilada. I told the server I didn’t want any beans (lard) which didn’t get me an offer of a substitute side. But, when reading the menu was astonished at the attempts to nickel and dime the customer for every possible thing, such as $0.75 for water with a slice of lemon, and $1.50 to remove the bell pepper and onion from some recipes. Anywhere else these things are not chargeable items, and it left me feeling gouged before I even ordered.

They’ve got cement floors, and between the kids in there shrieking and laughing, and the television playing sports I couldn’t hear it thunder in there. I asked to be seated in the side room behind a door and they refused. It takes the same amount of time to clean a table over there as it does over here, and this declaration was not well received.

The food was average, although their taco shell was light and crispy. Too bad the chips and salsa appetizer wasn’t as fresh. My enchilada was nothing remarkable, but nothing bad either. My guest said the chicken enchiladas with sour cream sauce were good enough. I wonder if they think I’m impressed with the fact they used cloth napkins? That sure didn’t overcome the other shortcomings.

The prices are high for what you’re getting, and after reading the menu I felt I was in a place that’s looking for a get rich quick scheme on the customer’s back. It depends on what else is available, but under normal conditions I can’t recommend this place, and it’s assured I won’t be back, unless forced. The only time it’s OK is when you can’t stand another meal in a sack, and there’s nothing else available. The whole town has so few choices that this condition arises often enough.

There was no good reason why we were refused to be seated in the quiet room, and I can’t forgive that. It’s personal choice that I refuse to patronize selfishness like that.