“Unguided horseback adventure”

Ranked #4 of 33 things to do in Townsend
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 19 October 2017

My wife, 15 year old daughter and I saddled up at the bottom of a hill and proceeded to wind our way to a vista view of the Smokies. We picked here because we didn't just want to walk through the woods but see a long range view of the mountains as well.The trail was pretty and interesting. It was a very enjoyable one hour ride. It was like having our own horses and with just my family on the trail it was pleasant to talk.

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"bible verses"
"well trained horses"
in 4 reviews
"would definitely go back"
in 4 reviews
"year old daughter"
in 6 reviews
"well taken care"
in 5 reviews
"staff was very friendly"
"trail"
in 13 reviews
"instructions"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 27 September 2017

This was the peak of our vacation. I was so afraid to ride the horse by myself unguided since that was my first time riding!!! But God, how smart are these horses! they know where to go, they know where to stop for pictures, and wait for the ones behind! Just incredible! the trail that you go on leads to a breathtaking view of the mountains, and the horses of course stop for you to take the pictures. They even let my husband ride with our 3 year old on the horse. The owners are so nice and welcoming, they even gave my daughter some apples to feed the horses.Will definitely like to come back and do it again!

Reviewed 27 September 2017

Drove all the way out to this place, as we drove by and it was open then, so planned the next day to stop and ride horse and zipline, but they were closed, their sign said they should be open. Called the phone no# and they said they had to be closed because the employee that hauled their horses needed the day off. What one employee shuts down the place, they have no back up, that is very unreliable, but maybe meant to be if that's how they operate. Very disappointed!

Reviewed 29 August 2017

We always visit Next to Heaven for horseback riding when we are in the Gatlinburg area. It's actually located in Townsend but the drive there is scenic and not bad at all. This is the only stable that offers unguided riding. The horses have walked on these trails long enough to know exactly where to go so don't let the "unguided" rides scare you away. There is a beautiful scenic area about 1/2 way through at the top and the horses even stop for you so have your cameras ready! It's a little expensive but well worth it. They say it's a 45 minute ride but I think it may be a bit less. The owner has been there since the early 90's & my first experience with them was around 1992. They also offer zip lining but I cannot comment on that because we have not tried their zip lines. I would definitely recommend Next to Heaven whenever you're in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area!! The owner remembered a story about a certain horse the first time I went there. Ask him about "old blue"!

1  Thank Tracy390